Home

Three tight end offense?

This is a discussion on Three tight end offense? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Three tight end offense?

Anyone try running a three-legend tight end offense?

I generally use five legends on offense, and I'm thinking it might be fun to pick a QB, a workhorse RB and three TE's that can block and catch, then run a bunch of counters, play actions, screens, formation shifts, etc. out of run-heavy formations.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the same thing, and if they have any advice/tips/experiences they can share. My instinct is to pair a speedy receiving tight end (Sharpe, Christansen, for instance) with a bulldozer type, and then make the No. 3 tight end a hybrid (Coates, maybe?).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Three tight end offense?

He's not a very good blocker compared to other TE options, but you might consider John Mackey. He can line up at wideout if needed, and linebackers absolutely cannot cover him as he's way too fast for them. Plus he's got the Break Away Burst attribute; if he gets the ball in the open field, he's gone. Adds a dimension to the offense that your opponent won't expect.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
I love meaty chics

ac11367's Arena

OVR: 7

Even a 2 legend TE's offense would present match-up problems for the D, not to mention a 3 legend TE's. If D comes up with 4-3, 4-4, 5-2 package, you can audible Sharpe wide and create a mismatch. If the D is in a nickel or dime, you can literally run them over. Just try to avoid 3rd and long situations though. Complement that with a great defense, this could be the ultimate smashmouth set-up. With 3 legend TE's, you don't need to waste a legend on OL or WR, just a decent QB and RB. Come to think of it, when I get home tonight I'm going to give it a try.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Just a thought, but you might choose a RB with cutback ability if you're going to be running counters, stretches, etc. Workhorse is a good ability to have, but so is cutback or quick feet if you're going to be running lots of these types of plays where you'll be looking for the crease and then cutting to it.

I like the idea, though. I played a guy who did this, but his gold TE, Mackey, got hurt on the opening kickoff, so I didn't have to worry about it for the rest of the game. I won, but I was very glad I didn't have to think through the matchup problems his offense would create.

Keep us posted on how this works out--it's an interesting concept and one that could work very well if properly executed.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I used to run a 2 TE offense. Only thing is I wanted a WR out wide in the Ace set so I got away from it. But I'm building another squad with 3 TE's a HB and a QB. It'll be interesting. I have a spread idea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Rookie

badasp83's Arena

OVR: 2

Interesting....might want to add J.Smith to that TE mix. He can catch & block.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

even though its not, someone will cry cheese if you use it online
Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
even though its not, someone will cry cheese if you use it online
Yep, and I don't care if they do. The thing is, most times they are not going to cry cheese, unless they can't stop something or they are losing. If those two conditions are met, then it's cheese LOL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »