Home

Generic assignments effects the Legends Ratings

This is a discussion on Generic assignments effects the Legends Ratings within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Generic assignments effects the Legends Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Yeah, I think the generic system is a good start but needs to be expanded. It's too generalized. For instance TE's are included with the WR's. Well what if I want to use one of my picks on Shannon Sharpe for instance, but then I want my other TE to specialize in blocking. I can't choose it. Outside linebackers for the 3-4 for instance, you do not know whether they are good at pass rushing or not and you cannot set it. Safeties, I should be able to set 1 for run coverage and 1 for pass.

If they allow you to be that specific in picking generics then they ruin the whole stategy in the legend tiering system. If you want a LB that shines at pass rushing you can do that, you are gonna have to spend a pick on a legend. Thats the intent of the game. To build a team whose strengths center around your legends not your generics.

Not knowing the abilities of your generics adds to the strategy and risk/reward on the decisions you made picking legends and ensures no team is over powered.

If you want a run blocking TE and Shannon sharpe you can do that in this game. You are just gonna have to spend 2 picks on legends to do it. They have set the game up so that if you make your team strong in one area you will be weak in another for balance. If you could just stick whatever type player you what wherever you want it degrades the strategy in the game when picking players.

Same goes with the safetys. You CAN pick a runstop saftey and a coverage safety but you are gonna pay for having that duo by spending 1 of those picks on a legend. If they allow you to be that specific in choosing generics then things get out of whack and unbalanced because then the defenses will get overloaded with legends in other areas of the team like the Dline/LB/CB positions without taking much of a hit in the secondary.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
If they allow you to be that specific in picking generics then they ruin the whole stategy in the legend tiering system. If you want a LB that shines at pass rushing you can do that, you are gonna have to spend a pick on a legend. Thats the intent of the game. To build a team whose strengths center around your legends not your generics.

Not knowing the abilities of your generics adds to the strategy and risk/reward on the decisions you made picking legends and ensures no team is over powered.

If you want a run blocking TE and Shannon sharpe you can do that in this game. You are just gonna have to spend 2 picks on legends to do it. They have set the game up so that if you make your team strong in one area you will be weak in another for balance. If you could just stick whatever type player you what wherever you want it degrades the strategy in the game when picking players.

Same goes with the safetys. You CAN pick a runstop saftey and a coverage safety but you are gonna pay for having that duo by spending 1 of those picks on a legend. If they allow you to be that specific in choosing generics then things get out of whack and unbalanced because then the defenses will get overloaded with legends in other areas of the team like the Dline/LB/CB positions without taking much of a hit in the secondary.
Never thought about it like that. Great Point!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 09-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #19
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong

It's not the generics I care about its the legends. If I pick a generic setting it should not effect my legends ratings. If I pick Ditka as a Tight End because of his run blocking, the setting of deep threat or possesion should not effect what rating he should get at run blocking.

If I pick Earl Cambell and pick power for generics, Earl shouldn't be made more powerful than he already is, just his back up generics should get power ratings. Which is probably why Ottis Anderson when I had him under the power setting was so unstoppable. He has power bonuses plus the fact the generic assignments effected his base rating to make him extra powerful.

I don't want to specifically adjust the generics I just don't want my legends effected by picking what tendancies I want my generics to have.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
Try setting him to power and see if he has more power.
I always used him with power backs....nothing has changed IMO (and I play in 2 leagues with him and have over 70 games played online).

If you guys think this makes a difference though, more power to you. I certainly may be wrong, but I can't tell any difference. I'd love it if he was faster due to setting him to finesse, but alas, he still appears to be slow to me.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #21
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

Well I've definitely seen a difference, the legends play way differently when you change the generic assignments. At first I wasn't sure but after testing out my 4 legend linebacker crew and my 2 legend backs with different settings, their effectiveness did change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

But are you certain it was the change within the Running Back crew that made the difference, as opposed to elsewhere on the team? I believe that each time you edit any part of your team, all the generic positions are randomized. So if you have a Run Stopping Linebacker corps, they will still have that focus, but will be different personnel each time you make a roster change or even just change the color of the team's socks...

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 09-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #23
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ronin
But are you certain it was the change within the Running Back crew that made the difference, as opposed to elsewhere on the team? I believe that each time you edit any part of your team, all the generic positions are randomized. So if you have a Run Stopping Linebacker corps, they will still have that focus, but will be different personnel each time you make a roster change or even just change the color of the team's socks...

Red Ronin
I'm not talking about the generics at all, just the legends and only the legends. When you change the generic assignments the legends play differently when they shouldn't. If I make my 2 legend backs power they have more power from Anderson but Meggett is slow, if I make them finesse Meggett is faster but Anderson has less power.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

I guess this is what I am asking you, "Are you speaking about the effectiveness of special moves relative to finesse and power?"

You see, I really don't like juke moves in this game at all. So I rarely use them, to be honest. I have always hated juke buttons - period. They always seem to be tied to animation that is slow to start, takes too long to finish, and does the exact opposite of what I intended to accomplish. Ah, if only I could separate and flip the buttons for those jukes, because for me it seems to be set up with a push-me-pull-me concept that is thoroughly contrary to my way of thinking.

I understand having a button to spin. A button for stiff arm, left or right... Even a button for hurdle or covering the ball with both hands and delivering a hit with force. But it seems the majority of the finesse moves in this game are based upon using either the right stick or the juke left/right buttons and I just don't use them - at all. I find it cumbersome and highly unpredictable, thoroughly useless.

Even the regular charge moves for a ball handler seem to be relatively useless, because it takes frickin forever to charge up, then if you haven't memorized exactly which special moves a particular player has and press the "wrong" button, the charge dissipates and the move doesn't happen at all. So you get tackled immediately.

Perhaps I've gotten old and have lost a step or two when it comes to manual dexterity, but it seems as though the default control scheme for this game requires two thumbs on your right hand. I think the control scheme from the original NFL2K did it the RIGHT way, with your juke moves being manually operated with the left stick, an actual part of your movement operations themselves. What I'm saying is that to me, no matter which running back I choose, I have been more effective by not even attempting to use the "advanced" features of the current control scheme. I watch my blockers, scoot through the holes they make, then run toward the big patch of empty grass, AKA "Daylight". That works no matter who is on my team or who is on Defense against me.

I have gotten better at playing APF2K8 as a result. Now I only charge up for Special Moves after I have reached Daylight. Attempting to do so beforehand invariably results in my getting slammed into the turf. Yes, I have seen videos online of people who are constantly charging and spinning and juking... And for them anyway, there seems to be an endless reserve of "CHARGE" that just fills almost instantly, no matter which Legend they choose. That has NOT been my experience however - at all. But then, I don't have two thumbs on my right hand.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »