Home

The merits of NFL style/level customization in APF

This is a discussion on The merits of NFL style/level customization in APF within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: The merits of NFL style/level customization in APF

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
A lot of us find the legends angle of the game quite compelling - would a game full of no-name generic players have had more appeal in your opinion? Extremely doubtful imo.
This is a question I've been wondering for sometime....I will start a poll to test the results. However, one could argue that if they made a fully customizable generic game, one would be able to customize their own legends if they wanted too (signiture styles could still be included by 2K and could be chosen when customizing a player). After all if you can re-create Brett Farve, you can likely create Dan Marino as well.

Also, IMO, the legends theme seems like it will be hard to re-sell the next year. While the NFL puts out a game every year with mostly the same players, those players are progressing/digressing, changing teams, coming in and out of stardom, where as a legend stays stagnent. Unless there is a change in the way the game plays, Barry Sanders next year will be Barry Sanders this year. In the NFL game Marquez Colston this year will be a different animal than that of last year's. Plus new uni's, updated rosters, new stadiums, a few new gimmicks, etc.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
This is a question I've been wondering for sometime....I will start a poll to test the results. However, one could argue that if they made a fully customizable generic game, one would be able to customize their own legends if they wanted too (signiture styles could still be included by 2K and could be chosen when customizing a player). After all if you can re-create Brett Farve, you can likely create Dan Marino as well.

Also, IMO, the legends theme seems like it will be hard to re-sell the next year. While the NFL puts out a game every year with mostly the same players, those players are progressing/digressing, changing teams, coming in and out of stardom, where as a legend stays stagnent. Unless there is a change in the way the game plays, Barry Sanders next year will be Barry Sanders this year. In the NFL game Marquez Colston this year will be a different animal than that of last year's. Plus new uni's, updated rosters, new stadiums, a few new gimmicks, etc.
Good points. I wasn't saying that the legends angle was perfect. But personally I find it to be the most logical. Again, outside of the ultra-hardcore, how many are willing to customize an entire league? There are people that don't make the effort to customize a team. At default, the game has to be compelling - it can't be everyone having separate experiences. And if they aren't able to attach assignable signature styles to actual players, you're leaving it up to every individual to guess. Is that really Ladanian Tomlinson's style or is it Reggie Bush? Maybe that's Brian Westbrook.

I'm not saying a completely generic title wouldn't work. I was just saying from my experience, people don't want to spend a lot of time customizing. One of the complaints people leveled at the game is that you can't play with a cpu-generated generic team; they'd just like to jump in and play. Well how would you be able to tell players apart if the game were only generics? Not having the licenses is a huge disadvantage. I think the concept they came up with is unique, and works on many levels. It's not perfect, but I think a strong framework is definitely in place

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Would a pixel-level editor have made a difference in sales?
Speaking for myself, the answer would be "Yes". I had NFL 2K1, 2K2, 2k4 and 2K5, so I am a 2K fan. I was very excited when the game was announced back in January, and followed along closesly as details emerged. It was a bummer when we found out we couldn't recreate the NFL, but I was still onboard...infact I was still intrigued by the fantasy teams. But my interest really faded when I learned how thin the the offline season was. I couldn't modify other teams, limited presentation and it sounded like the same CPU team ("Legends" I think) always made it to the championship.

That was alot of rambling. I think the bottom line is that this game is designed for online play...and I mainly play offline.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 21

The question is how much would such an editor appealed to the general public. Anything extra from a customization standpoint would've been appreciated. But I personally feel it's a stretch to say that the general public would jump on a pixel level editor to recreate their favorite NFL team logos and uniforms, when if the NFL is that important, those things are readily available in Madden. I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm just wondering how much sense it would've made to include this option for the likely small contingent of users that would've taken the time to take advantage of it

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

They want a piece of the liscense in a year or two, they don't want to piss the NFL off in any way. It's not about a lawsuit.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Just saying that there were many people on the board that felt this was a necessity. But in playing online, I've only seen a handful of people that have taken the steps to create a team that resembles a NFL team.
But we really have no idea what that means since there could be many people for whom it was a necessity that simply passed up on the game and thus you don't encounter them online. Not saying you can't be right, but the online example is not representative of the situation IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

Quote:
The question is how much would such an editor appealed to the general public. Anything extra from a customization standpoint would've been appreciated. But I personally feel it's a stretch to say that the general public would jump on a pixel level editor to recreate their favorite NFL team logos and uniforms, when if the NFL is that important, those things are readily available in Madden. I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm just wondering how much sense it would've made to include this option for the likely small contingent of users that would've taken the time to take advantage of it
Who Knows for sure. Like you said, probably only the hard-core players would customize every player on ever team, every teams colors, stadiums, names, etc. and there are probably some that would do very little if any editing, while the rest are probably somewhere inbetween. As long as it's not too costly, it seems like your always better off giving the user more choices....at any route, all they have to do is make everything generic and let the user do what he wants. He can edit his team or every team or leave it be. He's not losing out if he doesn't want to edit, he's just not taking advatange of what the game offers.

And hell, if the game still wants to use legends to sell the game, then still include them in the game and allow the user to choose whether or not he wants to include them in his rosters. Similar how NCAA allows you to randomly assign names to each player, you could have the computer randomly assign legends to teams if that is the way you want to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
But we really have no idea what that means since there could be many people for whom it was a necessity that simply passed up on the game and thus you don't encounter them online. Not saying you can't be right, but the online example is not representative of the situation IMO.
Because so many people complain about playing against created players or will flat out refuse to play teams with created players online, many people may be turned off from doing this with the teams the bring online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »