Home

The merits of NFL style/level customization in APF

This is a discussion on The merits of NFL style/level customization in APF within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #33
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: The merits of NFL style/level customization in APF

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Does it have to be exactly 32 teams lol? Maybe they should shoot for 40 so they're not blatantly copying the NFL right down to the conference and division structure. Again, I think if the NFL is that big a need for individuals then they're going to purchase Madden. I'm someone that has used 6 of my 8 create a team slots for teams that resemble NFL teams, but I know I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to recreate the entire league. And I'm someone that's willing to take time to tweak things; most people want to jump in and play. Which is why I say the core game has to stand on it's own. I'm all for more customization of what exists now, but trying to give people the option of recreating the NFL seems like an unnecessary stretch.
Yes. It HAS to be 32 teams. And those team cities should match the NFL cities exactly. And the starting QB for the Green Bay Gophers should be #4, old and really good. They have to recreate a generic NFL with all of the real players, their correct attributes and their numbers. Just don't use the real team and player names (but let you edit them). This way there isn't any customization necessary if you don't want. Adding in a real franchise mode with a draft would also be necessary.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Which is why I say the core game has to stand on it's own. I'm all for more customization of what exists now, but trying to give people the option of recreating the NFL seems like an unnecessary stretch.
You seem to think that a generic game with 32 teams in NFL cities with generic players matching NFL players would not stand on its own. I don't see why. We know what they did with 2K8 has appealed to 2K fans. What we don't know is how many potential fans are put off by the fact that they don't know the teams, who is good, who is bad, etc.

And as far as letting people recreate the NFL being a stretch, it's just a matter of allowing more customizations. Let us rename all players and teams if we wish to do so and allow us to edit other teams' unis like we can our own. I don't mind being restricted to the team names and logos that they ut in the game. Doesn't sound like much of a stretch to me.

If they're not willing to do that, then they should consider tweaking the current system so we can keep the generic guys that we like. They should also work on giving the league more personality. Blitz sure did a good job with that aspect.

Last edited by mercalnd; 09-27-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #35
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Yes. It HAS to be 32 teams. And those team cities should match the NFL cities exactly. And the starting QB for the Green Bay Gophers should be #4, old and really good. They have to recreate a generic NFL with all of the real players, their correct attributes and their numbers. Just don't use the real team and player names (but let you edit them). This way there isn't any customization necessary if you don't want. Adding in a real franchise mode with a draft would also be necessary.
I really don't think they can be that specific - I could be wrong of course. Imo there's a reason the MLB games don't have a player numbered #25 on the San Francisco team. And from what I remember in past 2K and Madden games, their legend teams don't have players who's numbers match exactly who played for the team in that given year. Nor do you see the basketball games trying to insert anything close to Michael Jordan.

I would think if there were no risk as many of you seem to think, EA/2K/989 would have no problems populating their legacy teams with at least properly numbered players. Who wouldn't love a 2K8 Michael Jordan generic that they only had to rename/tweak the likeness, while VC gives him the sig style treatment? I just don't see how it's that easy to get around the licensing issues.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #36
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
You seem to think that a generic game with 32 teams in NFL cities with generic players matching NFL players would not stand on its own. I don't see why. We know what they did with 2K8 has appealed to 2K fans. What we don't know is how many potential fans are put off by the fact that they don't know the teams, who is good, who is bad, etc.
It's not that I don't think it couldn't stand on it's own. I don't think VC could get away with so blatantly ripping the NFL. Besides, I think they wanted to make a game that would stand on it's own merits. If the NFL is first/foremost in a person's mind when purchasing any football game, then why wouldn't those people just buy Madden if it were what it should be? Come next year the same "hardcore" folks will be brimming w/optimism with a new year, new Madden game. It's a tough mindset to have to overcome.

Quote:
And as far as letting people recreate the NFL being a stretch, it's just a matter of allowing more customizations. Let us rename all players and teams if we wish to do so and allow us to edit other teams' unis like we can our own. I don't mind being restricted to the team names and logos that they ut in the game. Doesn't sound like much of a stretch to me.
I've said I'm all for allowing more customization. I just don't see how 2K benefits much from placing more focus on NFL style customization versus trying to make sure their base game is all that it can be. At some point, it's going to come back to "I need real players/real teams/I don't have time to make all these edits".

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #37
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
It's not that I don't think it couldn't stand on it's own. I don't think VC could get away with so blatantly ripping the NFL. Besides, I think they wanted to make a game that would stand on it's own merits. If the NFL is first/foremost in a person's mind when purchasing any football game, then why wouldn't those people just buy Madden if it were what it should be? Come next year the same "hardcore" folks will be brimming w/optimism with a new year, new Madden game. It's a tough mindset to have to overcome.
But, when I think of Jerry Rice, John Elway, and Barry Sanders, I think of the NFL. All these players came from the NFL. So, IMO, if that's really what they were trying to do, they failed at it because this game in some form screams NFL. Even if it's former NFL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #38
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

All you need to do is look and see the amazing things being done to keep 2k5 alive by having editors and such.I love customizing and would do it but some may find it tedious.Those will have downloading options available to them.

I'm not expecting something that can entirely recreate the NFL this year because there are still delusions of the NFL not extending the license to EA.That's why I said at least 32 user-controlled teams with at least the 11 created per team this year but would expect major things when 2k10 releases.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #39
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

Heck I almost want to rebuy an xbox to play NFL 2k5 with the latest rosters.....
Old 09-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #40
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC_Pete
Heck I almost want to rebuy an xbox to play NFL 2k5 with the latest rosters.....
Same here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »