Home

APF2k9 is confirmed

This is a discussion on APF2k9 is confirmed within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #65
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: APF2k9 is confirmed

Spank, It sounds like you are talking about online play.

I think most of us who are wanting to customize the NFL are thinking about single player offline play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #66
All Star

OVR: 21

I'm also considering offline play too. I mean, I can understand giving everyone the freedom to do whatever offline. But I would think that would affect the online game to some degree. Unless online is sort of totally detached from the offline game. I mean, if they allow you to create players offline with let's say 5+abilities. Do they have to instill some option that doesn't allow created players with 5+abilities online? If you've created the Patriots with Brady, Moss, etc. offline, do they have to create some control that only allows people to take teams online that adhere to the old restrictions? I'm only saying there seems to be a lot of variables they'd have to account for. And there's really no way to fully account for the crazy things people will do to gain a competitive edge. It took probably 1-2 days for someone to create a 7ft WR w/speed that dominated early online games.

I'm only saying that we should have realistic expectations when it comes to allowing full customization. I'm just saying it seems to add a lot of variables to the mix

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #67
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I am not big into online play, but don't most games have ranked vs unranked options? I think you would want to do the same here. Maybe have a mode where users are limited (as it works today). And they can have another mode where user's are unlimited and can take their 99 rated teams and face each other......Or they can organize in leagues that aren't balanced and someone can take their fake Bills and take on the challenge of the fake Patriots.

2K had also mentioned concern about online profanity. So here too I think users would be limited to a preset list of team names and logos. If Johnny Perv wants to create a logo that resembles genetalia, then he can only play with it offline.

For those of us pushing the customization angle, one of the driving forces is the ease it should be. We aren't asking for a new mode.
1. There is already a robust uniform editor. There is another thread in this forum where people posted their recreated NFL uniforms...they were excellent. We just need 2K to allow this for all the teams.
2. Allow us to edit names and ratings of players. This has been standard in sports games for a decade. I can't believe this would be a big deal.
3. Pixel Editor. Not common, but has been done before. Again, I don't see this as revolutionary.
4. Allow us to change the names of teams, divisions, leagues and conferences. Again, this is basic.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 4

Well one thing is for certain they must add to the season mode. Almost forcing them to create a franchise, which would make this game at least 10x better if you ask me. With that said I don't see how they could do this without mirroring one of the leagues. Or at least creating their own unique league with expanded teams.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #69
Banned

murry's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I don't get the fascination with trying to perfectly match the NFL myself. As I said in the other thread, how would such a league be structured? One thing 2K did about as well as can be expected in producing a game that had competitive balance. Imo they did a fantastic job for a first attempt. The system forced gamers to make decisions on the makeup of their team based on their own philosphies and play style. You couldn't have your cake and eat it too. In the NFL, you have teams like the Patriots and Chargers which are loaded with "gold/silver" players - how would that translate to this totally customizable game that people say they want? It appears the majority of people in the forums don't want the legends and would prefer a fully customizable game. I'm all for more customization myself. But what's to stop people from having a fake-Brady/fake-Tomlinson/fake Deion Sanders/fake-Bo Jackson on the same team? How would you know what you're facing if they named these players totally unfamilar names? And they're expected to create a game that maintains competitive balance, while giving people the option to recreate the NFL and adding some sort of franchise mode. When any misstep might cause gamers to completely disregard the feature anyway.

If they implemented some system that allowed people to recreate NFL teams but forced the gold/silver/bronze tiering of players on the teams then people would complain that they couldn't get these pseudo-NFL teams to reflect real life - and I could see people pissing that away as useless. Or if they allow people total freedom, then I could see people complaining the opposite - that teams are too stacked and online is only littered with power teams. I see all these ideas being thrown around but they're not being fully fleshed out or debated. The advocates for these options seem to be only considering their individual needs and not what's necessarily practical
I agree with you regarding online play. Although the game play is not perfect yet, 2K's current concept regarding selecting only 11 legends is almost genius. This offers the most balanced and competitive gaming that I have ever seen in a sports game. I personally believe that we should only be able to select two gold players on offense (not including the OL).

I do not want to play as the NFL online unless they could implement some sort of team or player hot/cold streaks during a game, that would allow a weaker team a chance at beating a team like the Colts or the Patriots.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #70
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

I would actually like to see a franchise mode DEVOID of real players, whether current or retired.

It's one of the reasons I've spent the last 6 years playing NCAA vs. Madden - it's much easier to get immersed in a game that has no ties to, and thus no dependence on, reality.

One of the biggest problems with Madden (and playing with big-time teams on NCAA) is that those of us who watch alot of football know EVERY player on EVERY team and when the players in the game start to deviate from their real life performance, the believability of the game starts to deteriorate...
Old 10-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #71
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
2K had also mentioned concern about online profanity. So here too I think users would be limited to a preset list of team names and logos. If Johnny Perv wants to create a logo that resembles genetalia, then he can only play with it offline.
And you'll get no argument from me; I definitely respect your viewpoint. I hadn't even thought of the "Johnny Perv" angle lol. Six of my eight created teams are NFL-based. Would allowing a pixel editor only for offline play be sensible? Not sure how difficult it would be to implement. I would think it's an option most wouldn't use though; how skilled are people are creating images? I've seen the possibilities in Forza - doesn't mean I'd be able to do what many of them have. If the NFL is that important, I'd think they'd go the far simpler route of picking up Madden. Don't know that APF's userbase is large enough to justify possibly spending significant dev time implementing psuedo-recreate the NFL options when most people likely wouldn't use them.

Quote:
For those of us pushing the customization angle, one of the driving forces is the ease it should be. We aren't asking for a new mode.
1. There is already a robust uniform editor. There is another thread in this forum where people posted their recreated NFL uniforms...they were excellent. We just need 2K to allow this for all the teams.
I agree; they should allow us to edit all the teams at the very least. With more options. But I'm not sure a pixel editor would be one. I just don't know the difficulty in implementing such an option for local play only. I'm thinking it's hard, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
2. Allow us to edit names and ratings of players. This has been standard in sports games for a decade. I can't believe this would be a big deal.
I'm mixed on allowing the full editing of names AND ratings. Again, I can see that you're looking at it from a strictly offline standpoint. But online, I don't know how difficult it would be to deny access to certain types of created players but not others.

Quote:
3. Pixel Editor. Not common, but has been done before. Again, I don't see this as revolutionary.
I'd welcome it if it for offline play if it were easy to implement. I just don't know if more than a handful of people would use it extensively.

Quote:
4. Allow us to change the names of teams, divisions, leagues and conferences. Again, this is basic.
Same answer as above

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 3

Well, when it comes to "generic" players, there's nothing to stop them from putting a guy in the game that is effectively, Jerome Bettis, but giving him a different name and number, then allowing you to figure out which guy in the pool of generics is Da BUS and editing his name, school & appearance - but not his stats.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »