Home

Are most of us wrong about DB coverage?

This is a discussion on Are most of us wrong about DB coverage? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Banned

murry's Arena

OVR: 4
Are most of us wrong about DB coverage?

After watching DB play in the NFL and college this year, I have to apologize to 2K for saying that their DB AI is bad. I have seen receivers catching passes in double and triple team coverage consistently this year. No, it is not every play, but it does happen a few times per game.

The most recent game that I watched where it happened was when Moss caught two passes in double coverage for touchdowns. He could have caught more if Brady would have thrown it to him more. I have also noticed that on the out routes that we complain about, most of them are completed (depending on the defense).

Monday night, we witnessed two great corners get beat deep for scores, by what I consider to be generic caliber receivers. I challenge you guys to watch some of the things that we complain about during a real game, and ask yourself if 2K is wrong, or are we?

Yes, LB’s still blitz too slow if you do not manually blitz them, and some DB animations happen at the wrong time (need program adjustments). I was only focusing on DB play this past week. I believe closing speed needs to be improved, but I believe that if they fix the blitz on this game, that DB coverage would not be as bad. If you give any good QB enough time, he will consistently complete most of his passes. Also, I have yet to see any DB shut down a receiver.

Most receivers are open at some point during their route. It is impossible for a DB to cover a good/fast receiver the entire game, and that is why pressure is so important. That is also why Deion Sanders was so unique, and there has been no true shut down corner in the league since him. Although he did get beat once in awhile, every QB knew that they had to throw a perfect pass his way, or try and tackle him before he runs your interception in for a TD.

For those that complain about this game (me included), I understand that it is not perfect, but if you really are a football fan, you will notice that it is the most accurate representation of football on the market.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Banned

HotShot232's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Are most of us wrong about DB coverage?

I agree to a point. I did some sliders for APF for HEAD to HEAD only. It is in the slider section. It is focused on balancing out the o-Line vs D-line. Default D-line is to weak vs default o-line. So I balanced it out and the d-line gets much more pressure and I increased pursuit almost maxed out and it makes the LB's blitz right away and with MUCH MUCH more speed. This along makes passing MUCH tougher.

So I agree most of the coverage issues can be fixed with better D-line play and LB play
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Banned

HotShot232's Arena

This is the set that really helps out. Try it online with a buddy

**NEWEST UPDATE**
For some reason I have no Edit button on first post now.

This is a community set to try and get the defense play just as threating as the offense. This should give a reason to grab a star lineman now. Should also allow star D-line to get better pressure. Also jacked up the coverage which should help on the famous out routes and just better coverage in general.

This is mainly for OS community

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING ONLINE
Online Desk
Custom Game Settings.
Pull RT(360) to set Sliders
Go to custom lobby and challenge somone then select your custom sliders

8-Min quarters
Game Speed - Fast *I went to practice mode and used a stop watch to run some 40 times and game speed at fast is VERY close to the real speed of the NFL. I created Reggie bush with Speed Burner, Cutback and he would run 40ty in the low 4.s

HUMAN
Human Blocking - 0
Human Passing - 25
Human Running - 40
Human Catching - 50
Human Coverage - 100
Human Pursuit - 100
Human Tackling - 75
Human Kicking - 25
Human Fatigue 50

COMPUTER
CPU Blocking - 0
CPU Passing -25
CPU Running - 40
CPU Catching - 50
CPU Coverage - 100
CPU Pursuit - 100
CPU Tackling - 75
CPU Kicking - 25
CPU Fatigue 50

Injury 50
Fumble 100
Interception 100
Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Banned

HotShot232's Arena

**NEWEST UPDATE**

This is a community set to try and get the defense play just as threating as the offense. This should give a reason to grab a star lineman now. Should also allow star D-line to get better pressure. Also jacked up the coverage which should help on the famous out routes and just better coverage in general.

Online Desk
Custom Game Settings.

8-Min quarters
Game Speed - Fast *I went to practice mode and used a stop watch to run some 40 times and game speed at fast is VERY close to the real speed of the NFL. I created Reggie bush with Speed Burner, Cutback and he would run 40ty in the low 4.s

HUMAN
Human Blocking - 0
Human Passing - 25
Human Running - 40
Human Catching - 50
Human Coverage - 100
Human Pursuit - 100
Human Tackling - 75
Human Kicking - 25
Human Fatigue 50

COMPUTER
CPU Blocking - 0
CPU Passing -25
CPU Running - 40
CPU Catching - 50
CPU Coverage - 100
CPU Pursuit - 100
CPU Tackling - 75
CPU Kicking - 25
CPU Fatigue 50

Injury 50
Fumble 100 *Still does not help much but best we got
Interception 100 *Two hands on it by a DB should be picked.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Banned

murry's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShot232

**NEWEST UPDATE**

Online Desk
Custom Game Settings.

8-Min quarters

HUMAN
Human Blocking - 0
Human Passing - 25
Human Running - 40
Human Catching - 50
Human Coverage - 100
Human Pursuit - 100
Human Tackling - 75
Human Kicking - 25
Human Fatigue 50

COMPUTER
CPU Blocking - 0
CPU Passing -25
CPU Running - 40
CPU Catching - 50
CPU Coverage - 100
CPU Pursuit - 100
CPU Tackling - 75
CPU Kicking - 25
CPU Fatigue 50

Injury 50
Fumble 100 *Still does not help much but best we got
Interception 100 *Two hands on it by a DB should be picked.
Thanks, I will give this a try.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Banned

HotShot232's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry
Thanks, I will give this a try.
No Prob man, we used them in the NFL league I ran. We had very realistic scores and stats. GRUNT and a couple others here really like them.

The problem lies with how most just want to go in and play a ranked game. These you must play in the custom game. I never gave a crap about rank. I have 100+ games online but my record in ranked games is like 12-8 or something really really small like that. I only played a couple of games in ranked games and the rest have been league and custom games. Gameplay matters more to me than my ranking.

You should like them. Just remember a couple stars on the O-line is needed vs a star D-line. Generic vs Generic it is balanced. BUT a Gold DE or DT with these sliders WILL dominate now vs a generic O-line. A star O-line man is a must vs people with star D-lineman. Reggie White will no longer be man handled by a generic no name player. Better put a legend on him
Old 10-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 21

I think a large part of the issue is peoples perceptions on how dominate or weak a player should or should not be and how often they should be dominate.

Reggie White was a GREAT DE but he was not sacking the QB every other play every game. Some people have that expectation though in these video games.

I think they have Reggie White playing perfect in this game. He may not get the sack, but he brings heavy pressure, especially on 3rd and 4th downs. To some that aint enough, but who would be right ?

Its like this with every position in the game. This leads to there needs to be a HEAVY discussion between us and the devs on how much I the user and the AI have on making great players GREAT in these video football games. Play calling, my stick skills, and the AI, how well I make adjustments all impact this. Thats why we have such a hugh swing of opinions of who thinks the game plays good and who thinks it plays like crap.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
Banned

murry's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I think a large part of the issue is peoples perceptions on how dominate or weak a player should or should not be and how often they should be dominate.

Reggie White was a GREAT DE but he was not sacking the QB every other play every game. Some people have that expectation though in these video games.

I think they have Reggie White playing perfect in this game. He may not get the sack, but he brings heavy pressure, especially on 3rd and 4th downs. To some that aint enough, but who would be right ?

Its like this with every position in the game. This leads to there needs to be a HEAVY discussion between us and the devs on how much I the user and the AI have on making great players GREAT in these video football games. Play calling, my stick skills, and the AI, how well I make adjustments all impact this. Thats why we have such a hugh swing of opinions of who thinks the game plays good and who thinks it plays like crap.
Great point. Sometimes I have to remind myself that none of the legends in this game dominated on every play in real life. When we think of legends, we have the tendency to recall the games, or instances when they dominated. We have to also recall the games when they were contained, or just had a bad game.

Once again, you have a great point regarding how we as a football community view games, and what our individual expectations are. Maybe we can all meet some-where in the middle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »