Home

What's also missing from 2k

This is a discussion on What's also missing from 2k within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
What's also missing from 2k

One thing they have been improving on, but just not THERE yet is hard hits. But the game still suffers from 2k4 and 2k5. In those games getting a big hit even when the circumstances warranted it was tough. The reason why IMO was the animation sequences. I can remember playing alot with Freak back then and one of the things that used to drive me up the wall was when I punted the ball to him, I would switch over and be there as the ball got to the returner. Now here was the thing that made me so damn man.

The returner would simultaneously catch the football, and because he hit R Stick up, he'd also spin out of the tackle. How is that even possible? How can you concentrate on catching but also break the tackle at the same time. It made no sense, and he would always laugh, but say you are right. This same thing was in 2k4 where if you got to the RB as soon as he got the ball it would not let you get that big hit on him, you would be shrugged off and slide down his body.

This same type of animation sequence is in 2k8. Even when there are situations where big hits should happen, they really do not. And when I'm talking about big hits, I'm talking about things that you can FEEL.

Not only do more big hits need to be added but they need mid air collisions. Let me just post some videos that show what I'm talking about. And before anyone says it, nobody is asking for it every play, it's a matter of there are several situations that present themselves and these type of hits do not occur because of animation sequences and there are no real mid air collisions. But anyways, here are some of the things I'm talking about.

Ray Small Hit

Notice here the CB is squatting in the flats. In 2k8 this would be equivalent to 2 Hard or any coverage that has the CB squatting in the flats. Now watch how the CB closes and destroys Ray Small. In 2k8 this doesn't happen. He allows the WR to come to him and then slides down his body for a "weak tackle."

The same thing here for Roscoe Parrish. Watch the CB squatting in zone come up and really punish the Parrish and dislodge him from the football.

These are both "blindside" hits and when you see/hear them, you actually feel them. In 2k this is absent.

Now watch this one. Washington gets under the runner's pads, delivers a blow, and slams him down hard.

Ouch on this last one

Last edited by LBzrule; 11-03-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Re: What's also missing from 2k

Here are two compilations that capture perfectly what I am getting at.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Those are some classics, LBZ. Two in particular that I would like to see implemented in the game are the Atwater-Okoye hit and the Butkus hit. I really don't see safeties like Lott and Tatum hitting a running lane in full stride and blowing runners up, which is precicely the sort of thing they specialized in during their careers. I also don't see much scraping and exploding into ballcarriers by the linebackers, and if I spend a gold pick on Dick, I want to see him read, scrape, fill, and destroy.

Aside from those, I also like the point about corners playing short zones. I think some better zone AI and an animation set that included a hard tackle on a short route would go a long way toward getting the defense on par with the offense. In particular, I wonder why my corners who are playing cover 2 hard never seem to come up and really force the screen play; I see guys diagnose and blow that up all the time. I also wonder why defenders generally don't blindside receivers coming into their zones. They tend instead to do catch or swat attempt animations.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Those are some classics, LBZ. Two in particular that I would like to see implemented in the game are the Atwater-Okoye hit and the Butkus hit. I really don't see safeties like Lott and Tatum hitting a running lane in full stride and blowing runners up, which is precicely the sort of thing they specialized in during their careers. I also don't see much scraping and exploding into ballcarriers by the linebackers, and if I spend a gold pick on Dick, I want to see him read, scrape, fill, and destroy.

Aside from those, I also like the point about corners playing short zones. I think some better zone AI and an animation set that included a hard tackle on a short route would go a long way toward getting the defense on par with the offense. In particular, I wonder why my corners who are playing cover 2 hard never seem to come up and really force the screen play; I see guys diagnose and blow that up all the time. I also wonder why defenders generally don't blindside receivers coming into their zones. They tend instead to do catch or swat attempt animations.
Yeah. I wanted to also highlight more air collisions too. The WR's in 2k8 go up for the ball. The DB's also go up for the ball, but they never do it simultaneously on the same play so what you have is if the DB goes up for it he will either do one of three things, 1) knock it away, 2) intercept it, 3) do a funky animation and take himself out of the play. But you never see the WR going up with him. It would be great to see the WR go up in an attempt to snag a high pass and the CB go up with him to defend the pass, and the SS or FS flying over the top and laying the wood on the WR as he is coming down making sure that the ball is dislodged from the WR. Although on some rare occasions you should get a WR to catch that one who is good going over the middle. I think Givens has that ability - he's bronze.

Or have the WR turn is body back to the QB and go up for the pass and the CB come from behind and take his legs from under him sorta like the Tasker hit. Doesn't have to happen every play but there needs to be situations for him. How often the WR hangs on to the ball should vary.

I guess for me, you can get your yards but let me punish. Every time you touch it let me punish.

Last edited by LBzrule; 11-03-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

So true. I think the Lott hit--a classic display of range and power, should be able to happen. I think Flipper Anderson went up for the ball, along with a 49er CB, and both were impacted by Lott's intrusion into the play. Being able to do that would add a lot of dynamism to the WR-DB interaction. As it stands, I get so frustrated by the seeming lack of possibilities, especially when my corners choose the "do a weird animation and take yourself out of the play" route.

And I'll second the point about punishing. If I've got a crew of hitters out there, then I expect them to do to offensive players what Earl does to defensive players. I'd like guys to get shaken up, to be a little "off" for a play or two while they recover from a "woo" hit. I don't want it to feel arcadey, just fair.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
The returner would simultaneously catch the football, and because he hit R Stick up, he'd also spin out of the tackle. How is that even possible? How can you concentrate on catching but also break the tackle at the same time. It made no sense, and he would always laugh, but say you are right. This same thing was in 2k4 where if you got to the RB as soon as he got the ball it would not let you get that big hit on him, you would be shrugged off and slide down his body.
Because 2K games have very little, if any physics at all. Everything is animation driven.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Backbreaker is the only hope for a good football game next gen wise.
Madden and 2k is old and outdated.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

why is backbreaker the only hope?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »