Home

Ok The Last Point: Have we graduated BEYOND birdseye view?

This is a discussion on Ok The Last Point: Have we graduated BEYOND birdseye view? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #17
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Ok The Last Point: Have we graduated BEYOND birdseye view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShot232
We need to step up in the tech world more than just view points. Hear me out.

What about battlefield 2142. It has 32 player servers, with huge amount of effects, soft shadows, bloom lighting, high poly count models, first person combat, HUGE maps with big draw distances. Now compare these to the tech of MADDEN or APF. My god it is not even close. All big FPS titles stomp sport titles in the tech department. This needs to change NOW.

Lets imagine this.
APF 2k9
-First person football - Choose your postion and stay locked in.
-11 on 11 online football - EVERYONE plays a postion.
-High poly count models, w/ jersey deformation (dirt,grass stains,grass in helmet)
-Field deformation - grass getting tore up from cleats, rain causing puddles, ect
-Combine the above with Endorphin tackle engine (aka backbreaker)
-physics for ball flight and in air (wind having a factor)
-REAL speed for players. 40 time is same as real world 40ty time.
-No more attributes, postives, negative abilities. Make players play DIFFERENT

Tell me this can not be done!!!! Lazy one track mind developers is our problem.
Big FPS games have years of development. Sports games only have... one year.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 11-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 21

Yeah, I think you can only compare the progression of sports games to other sports games. It really isn't fair to compare them to games from other genres because of the differing development time lengths. Also, the EA games come out on practically every platform, whereas titles like Mass Effect are only developed for one system. Lastly I'd blame consumers, since many act as if they have no self control and are willing to purchase the games irregardless of their worth. We hear so many people saying in regards to Madden "this is it, this is my last one", but once EA fires up the hype machine they'll be out w/the others trying to hunt it down early. How many people would be willing to sacrifice picking up the game a couple weeks after it's release? Most act as if they can't wait a couple days.

I have to thank Kanobi for turning me on to so many things regarding 2K football back in the day, including the potential FPF has. I think it's the next logical progression for football games. Even with Madden and it's focus on Superstar mode or whatever it is, it's something similar to the appeal of FPF. Only FPF goes that huge step further and puts you on the field. I think if they add an optional 3rd person view it would do a lot to get people to accept it. The helmet view is just too limiting. Although it does a good job of giving you that claustrophobic feeling of being on a field with the action up close and personal. I can only wonder what it would be like to play in FPF, and have the sideline interaction/crowds/improved player movement of APF

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #19
Banned

murry's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I LOVED FPF. I did think the pure first person view was too limiting though. A 3rd person view would imo be near-perfect. You'd then get better peripheral vision while being limited somewhat to what can be seen on the field. In 2K5 when switching players in FPF, I thought if they stopped the camera at that 3rd person view just before it jumps to first person, that would be perfect. You'd be able to see a person's hands/arms; I thought it would make things so much more immersive. I'd think pure first person would be difficult to pull off in a sports game. I'd love to see VC add this for 2K9.

Also would like to see them experiment with a different playable camera angle, perhaps one that's broadcast yet more dynamic and can pan appropriately to give a better view of the action without showing the whole field
Your post sums up how I feel about the topic. I thought that VC had something very unique and innovative with FPF. I hope that they expand upon that idea and also develop a third person view in the future.

I also hope that they add the QB progression concept to future games if they do not decide to venture down the innovative FPF mode for the XBOX 360, or the PS3.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #20
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OVR: 5

FPF was kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing. If they put out a FPF football game I probably wouldn't buy it. I don't think the current view is the dark ages. It just represents more of the strategy of the game. Teams tape their own plays from the endzone cam to study them and defenses for a reason- that is the best angle to see the play. The only reason IMO they show the action from the side on TV is because you have not much depth perception if you are sitting in the endzone, and I know because I have done it at football games many times. The FPF lovers want the experience of being the player. I want the experience of being the player and the coach. That is what the current view does. I mean there is also a reason for the standard view in baseball games. It is the view most naturally suited for the sport.

www.2kfootballstrategy.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »