Home

Best Cornerback and Safety?

This is a discussion on Best Cornerback and Safety? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Best Cornerback and Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLisFUN
Who do you guys think is the best cornerback and Safety in the game?

I'm not sure, I use Rod Woodson for CB and Willie Wood for Safety, I haven't really played around with the CB's and Safety's, any opinions on who you choose and why so? Night Train etc?
I use Lem Barney and Lott pretty much all the time.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grismosw
Lem Barney seems tough to go up against.
I agree, Lem Barney is a very solid CB, he's one of the stars on my Miami Cyclones team.

Bring NFL 2k Football back

Old 12-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grismosw
Lem Barney seems tough to go up against.
Lem shuts J.Rice down when hes running a go/fly route. On slants/cuts, Rice burns him like every other CB.

Red October
On the road to Vick-tory

Nas = GOAT
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2007, 01:07 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I've tried most of them extensively, with the exception of Lane, and I'm in a Mike Haynes mood at the moment. The guy is a monster returner, and he literally gets a pick a game. I think he's more consistent than Woodson, who will get beat by double moves (as will Lane), and he's just as good as Brown IMO.

For safety, I don't know. I just don't get the kind of production out of my FS that I'd like for a gold or silver pick. I've used Wood and Lott extensively, and both are fine. Lott is obviously a very nice addition to the run game, and he's made a few picks for me, but not many. Perhaps it's the kinds of coverages I'm calling for him; I don't know. I get just as much value out of Tatum, whose footsteps thing causes a lot of alligator arms and who is also very aggressive and effective in the run game. I've never tried Turner, and an in the midst of an experiment with Cherry in a season. More on that as details develop.

Anyway, disquisition aside, I would go Haynes and Lott or Woodson and Wood (each gives you a coverage with a run stopping combo, plus a returner). And I would bet that your opponent wouldn't touch that side of the field.
Isn't Mike Haynes a gold? I can't find him for some reason

Red October
On the road to Vick-tory

Nas = GOAT
Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Yup, Haynes is a gold. He's money, man, I'm telling you. A pick a game, and one of the best KR I've used. I just ran one back with him tonight. I like Willie Brown's bump ability and signal steal thing, but if you don't need to bump all game and you have someone else with signal steal or are just comfortable with your calls, then he's a really good choice.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:43 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Yup, Haynes is a gold. He's money, man, I'm telling you. A pick a game, and one of the best KR I've used. I just ran one back with him tonight. I like Willie Brown's bump ability and signal steal thing, but if you don't need to bump all game and you have someone else with signal steal or are just comfortable with your calls, then he's a really good choice.
All I see on gold is

Rod Woodson
Night Train Lane
Mark Smith
Willie Brown

Red October
On the road to Vick-tory

Nas = GOAT
Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Dude, who is Mark Smith? That's weird. It's Mike Haynes for me. I hope you don't have some kind of corrupted roster file or something. The rest of the golds look right to me, but Haynes should be there. I play on PS3, so I don't know if that makes any difference, though it shouldn't.

Unfortunately, unless you position Haynes inside of Rice when he's running a slant or a drag, he will still catch a couple, though not many unless Haynes is having an off game (and we all know that guys have better and worse games in this game). The real problem isn't the corners, it's that Rice is quite simply the best football player of all time. Being from SoCal, I know there's some bias there, but he did things that no one else, regardless of position, could compare to, so he's going to be really tough to stop. You know he was double and triple covered most of his career, and look what he did. Granted, the West Coast Offense put him in some advantageous positions, and he had some great talent around him, but there were very, very few guys who could cover him one on one in his prime. Deion perhaps, though I know he torched the Falcons for more yards than any other team in his career.

One thing you might consider doing if you're really considered with the slants is just manually control the FS and jump them. You can also call a cover 2 soft, and hot route your CB to man coverage so you'll have LB help across the middle. It's no guarantee, but it's worth a shot if you're able to sacrifice extra defenders without hurting the rest of your defense too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 7

As far as using Safety, I always seem to end up with Joey Browner.

I know he's only a Silver guy, but he is so big and so strong, he hits like a truck and steamroll the ballcarrier backwards. He also never miss a wrap tackle, even on the likes of Earl Campbell or Okoye type.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »