Home

Let's talk about improving the pass rush

This is a discussion on Let's talk about improving the pass rush within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Let's talk about improving the pass rush

I will try to get on either later tonight or tomorrow so you can show me what's up. I have had people do this delayed blitz with me, and it works pretty well, but I just haven't figured out how to use it right myself, nor have I figured out the right blitz/dl assignment combos.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Amen, LBz. That backward running QB being faster than a rusher is just so very, very wrong. I can't wait until someone makes a football game that really punishes users for 20 yard dropbacks and throwing while moving backward ... I mean, I think All-Pro is moving toward this, but the developers just don't go all the way ... probably because it would totally alienate Madden players, but hey, they're not playing anyway.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I'm not fond of the simplistic blitzing approach in video football games. In real life there are two ways to blitz. One you can blitz from space. And that's what this game and every video football game has implemented. Blitz from space = blitz from where a guy is aligned. Then there are timed blitzes which 2k3 had. The only problem there was the blitz angles were just bad.

Also I'm not fond of the slow take off by the linebackers. Their slow take off makes it possible for the offensive lineman to block a defensive lineman then block the linebacker too. Annoying. Timed blitzes are absolutely essential for the 20 yard drop backer people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Its kinda like a double edged sword though if you control your D-line people get upset and scream cheese though. If you dont control them the person your playing againt online has forever to throw. I had a team with too tall Jones and Clyde Simmons and its seem like I never got pressure, in passing situations I would control one of them and was able to get pressure but I got alot of nuetrals and negatives from people
Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Blitzing actually works well in every scenario but the Shotgun formations. I can get blitzes while still coverage for a short time. Eventually there will be someone open. The key is to setup up the blitz. Simply calling a play that says 'blitz' does NOT perform an effective blitz.

Effective blitzing requires the following:
  • Selecting the proper D-Line for the given Blitz
  • Manually adjusting a LB / Safety / CB to Blitz and calling the right direction so they can hit the gap or skirt edges of a Guard
  • Moving the LBs / Safeties /CB to the proper position (more important for the LBs to make sure they can hit the A/B gaps properly
Most people don't understand how to set up a blitz and think that it doesn't work. It's not perfect, nor as easy to use as say Madden (one of the few things), but it can be done and done effectively. I came off a 16 week season with 45 sacks on the season (nearly 3 a game).

I use a generic D-Line and Star LBs. It's rare that I don't get a sack in a game against another player.

Now... against the Shotgun, it's a whole different story. There's pretty much no way to get any pressure on the QB, unless they are loading up to toss the ball deep, but if they are throwing 5 to 15 yards, they are going to have time to make it nearly every time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »