Home

How close could 2k make a generic NFL League!

This is a discussion on How close could 2k make a generic NFL League! within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: How close could 2k make a generic NFL League!

I think Spank's point is a good one. We APF fans (and I'm unabashedly one of them, though I try to maintain an air of rationality) really want the dev team to give us the experience Madden hasn't delivered. That won't happen. The next question is, then, what is the primary focus of your game, given the constraints you face? Online was clearly the priority in APF, and given that priority, the legends route and roster limitations were among the best imaginable solutions, IMO because it forced strategic choice of players and kept the playing field about as level as possible. It seems unlikely to me that the current dev team would want to change their objective entirely and go for a game whose major focus is offline play, no matter how badly we all want some sort of extended franchise option.

While it sounds like they could legally do what old school football games did and replicate cities, colors and attributes, if the idea is online play, I'm not sure this is the best way to go as it might prove stultifying. I don't play Madden online, but I'd imagine the list of teams you see there is pretty short. While there is also some degree of repetition in APF, I think there is more creativity online than with Madden, and I think that's a good thing.

I, personally, get my Raiders fix through this game, so I'm not really worried about not playing with Jemarcus Russell (I'll take the Snake any day). I'd rather have a fake league if anything, but I agree with Spank that implementation and imagination are different things. We have the luxury to imagine but not the burden of implementing. I just thank god that I've got a PS3 and will be working The Show like a $20 hooker in a few weeks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I see your point. I think this one comes down to a matter of playign online vs. offline. 95% of my gaming is offline, so the cheeser issue isn't an issue for me. But for someone who primarily plays online, I can certainly understand the concern.

On a side note, if they did come out with a game that is as customizable as we are hoping for, I wonder how long it would take the folks here at OS to have an NFL game ready. I would guess 3 days....LOL. Amazing folks around here. I am always amazed how quickly 119 NCAA football teams get edited....or 300+ College Hoops teams.
lol. your post must have happened just before mine. great minds think alike.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #27
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
but I agree with Spank that implementation and imagination are different things. We have the luxury to imagine but not the burden of implementing.
Trojan,

I agree with alot of what you said. But I don't think the implementation would be too difficult....which is one reason why I push the customization route. The ability to edit players has been there for years (APF already has a create a player function). APF already has a great uniform editor. They just need to allow us to edit the CPU teams, create logos and make the league a 32 team league with 8 divisions.

Asking 2k to use Euphoria or what ever the latest graphics engines are sound complicated. But adding a few customization options seems pretty straight forward.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

I hear you, Cardot. And knowing the folks here, this could be done in probably a week or two (we need The Show's version of M.K. Knight and Rod Carew), but then you have the issue of consistency. What's the limit that the devs put on attribute delegation? How is agreement to be reached on that issue? I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that it would be tough, but perhaps that's an underestimation of gamers' ability to be fair and objective in their assessments of these matters. If it were strictly done among the OS community, I'd be game for a recreation project, and I'd have no qualms about making my Raiders as crappy as they really are
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #29
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Just make is so created players cannot be used in ranked online games. Offline let me play the way I want to play. If I want to make a team will all Gold 5 ability players and dominate the league let me do it. I never understand why devs try to control the way we play the game offline. I paid the price of admission, let me do what I want!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #30
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Just make is so created players cannot be used in ranked online games. Offline let me play the way I want to play. If I want to make a team will all Gold 5 ability players and dominate the league let me do it. I never understand why devs try to control the way we play the game offline. I paid the price of admission, let me do what I want!
just because you paid to get into the waterpark doesn't mean you can pee in the wave pool.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #31
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I hear you, Cardot. And knowing the folks here, this could be done in probably a week or two (we need The Show's version of M.K. Knight and Rod Carew), but then you have the issue of consistency. What's the limit that the devs put on attribute delegation? How is agreement to be reached on that issue? I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that it would be tough, but perhaps that's an underestimation of gamers' ability to be fair and objective in their assessments of these matters. If it were strictly done among the OS community, I'd be game for a recreation project, and I'd have no qualms about making my Raiders as crappy as they really are
Oh yeah, there would definately be some brawls amongst the roster makers here........But that would be half the fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is my suggestion:

1.) All you would have to do is use 2k share to place rosters online.

2.) Then allow people to vote for the roster they like best on a weekly basis. And keep those 5.

3.) Then setup noline games to do the following:
a.Unranked games - Allow for unranked games to be played with any team/roster combination you want.

b. Ranked games - These can only be played with 1 of the 5 rosters. NOTE: System would only need to do a quick check to see if both players have it on their hard-drive, and then download it to a person's system if they don't.

Allow people to download the rosters to their heart's content.

That is my 2 cents.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »