Home

All-Pro Football 2K9 Benched

This is a discussion on All-Pro Football 2K9 Benched within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: All-Pro Football 2K9 Benched

It's not about the game sites not doing their homework. TT released a statement and the game sites simply reported the statement. That's how media works. Gamespot didn't make up those quotes by TT. And they were quite clear when talking about the projected release schedule. There was nothing misleading about it. If anything TT appears to be run by 3rd graders. Good luck selling a football game in October anyway. They couldn't even do anything with it being the first pro game on the market last year.

The fact that the game is in development means absolutely nothing. It is being kept in development on the offchance it will get the greenlight so that TT and its subsidiary, 2K Sports, don't get caught with their thumb up their butt having to release a game they hadn't even been working on. Games in development get cancelled all the time. It's a very common occurance. "Spin" has nothing to do with it. While the game hasn't been offically cancelled, it's a longshot at best. It's, financially, a losing proposition and one that TT can't afford to throw money at with the problems it's having right now. Then there's the fact that Backbreaker, a brand new IP, is getting much more buzz around it than APF2K9 is and that will take even more market share from 2K sports. A goal of an October release was pure idiocy at best, not making it and then releasing even later would be about the dumbest move in the history of sports gaming from a business standpoint. you don't do stuff like that to satisfy a tiny niche portion of the sports gaming community. With Backbreaker in the picture now there likely isn't even enough money left over for APF to even turn a profit.

Last edited by metallicatz; 03-13-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
It's not about the game sites not doing their homework. TT released a statement and the game sites simply reported the statement. That's how media works. Gamespot didn't make up those quotes by TT. And they were quite clear when talking about the projected release schedule. There was nothing misleading about it. If anything TT appears to be run by 3rd graders. Good luck selling a football game in October anyway. They couldn't even do anything with it being the first pro game on the market last year.

The fact that the game is in development means absolutely nothing. It is being kept in development on the offchance it will get the greenlight so that TT and its subsidiary, 2K Sports, don't get caught with their thumb up their butt having to release a game they hadn't even been working on. Games in development get cancelled all the time. It's a very common occurance. "Spin" has nothing to do with it. While the game hasn't been offically cancelled, it's a longshot at best. It's, financially, a losing proposition and one that TT can't afford to throw money at with the problems it's having right now. Then there's the fact that Backbreaker, a brand new IP, is getting much more buzz around it than APF2K9 is and that will take even more market share from 2K sports. A goal of an October release was pure idiocy at best, not making it and then releasing even later would be about the dumbest move in the history of sports gaming from a business standpoint. you don't do stuff like that to satisfy a tiny niche portion of the sports gaming community. With Backbreaker in the picture now there likely isn't even enough money left over for APF to even turn a profit.
To say a game in development doesn't mean anything is silly. Someone is paying these guys to develop this game. There is still hope. The doom and gloom isn't anything new regarding the 2k series. If we go back and do a search on 2k football, we would read how 2k would never come out with another football game again. I just played 2k8 last night. We win.

I remember when pro football games were released in the month of September and one of the greatest football games ever Gamebreaker 08 was released in the month of October/Nov.

TT are weighing their options and I am KEEPING HOPE ALIVE

Stay positive

Peace
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #59
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
The fact that the game is in development means absolutely nothing. It is being kept in development on the offchance it will get the greenlight
lol Really? You honestly think companies invest the $$$ necessary to develop a game in the off chance it will get green lighted for release? That's absurd.

Quote:
Games in development get cancelled all the time. It's a very common occurance.
It's true games do get canceled, but it is not a common occurrence, in fact it is a fairly rare one. Companies weigh the benefits and cost of the project prior to allocating any development resources to it.

Quote:
It's, financially, a losing proposition and one that TT can't afford to throw money at with the problems it's having right now.
This is pure conjecture on your part, you have no proof as to whether the game turned a profit or not. A short development cycle, no $$$ spent on the NFL license, and even at 260k units it could still go either way profit wise.

Quote:
Then there's the fact that Backbreaker, a brand new IP, is getting much more buzz around it than APF2K9 is and that will take even more market share from 2K sports. A goal of an October release was pure idiocy at best, not making it and then releasing even later would be about the dumbest move in the history of sports gaming from a business standpoint. you don't do stuff like that to satisfy a tiny niche portion of the sports gaming community. With Backbreaker in the picture now there likely isn't even enough money left over for APF to even turn a profit.
I don't see a clear release date for BackBreaker yet other than TBA 2008 and that may be why they are waiting to set the date for APF2K9 but that's pure conjecture. Still, I wouldn't want to release APF2K9 at the same time BackBreaker came out. I would let BackBreaker hit the market get reviews, and then go from there. BackBreaker looks interesting from the graphics, but as we all know there's MUCH more to a game than just graphics.

Last edited by Valdarez; 03-13-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #60
Rookie

aenggeorge's Arena

OVR: 5

it other words they are still working their butts offf on 2k9!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 8

Damn, thats ****in wack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #62
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
1st off, my time I spend customizing one game, has nothing to do with this subject. You can try to throw other games in the mixed, but know your facts 1st. When APF came out, did I not spend months making NFL Jerseys and post codes? YES!!!!
Actually, MY point was directed somewhat towards your willingness to customize/put up with certain games' deficiencies. That was the only reason I brought up NBA Live, not because of some 2K/EA thing. We've discussed it in the past - to me, you seem to favor looks over gameplay - if a game looks good enough you'll workaround/accept gameplay holes. While actively campaigning for new engines for the games you feel are lacking visually. Just saying that's the way it seems to me. That's the reason I brought up Live, or your "2Kports" sig back when the 2K6's were out (I think it was then).

Quote:
When NBA 2k8 came out didn't spent months doing videos (that weren't appreciated and faded in the forums)? YES!!!

When College Hoops 2k8 came out, didn't I create over 25 videos and post pictures of player edits on a roster? YES!!!

While you focus on me working on an EA product! Know that I supported 2k first and foremost and my efforts were never acknowledged or appreciated. I have 1 or 2 OSer's that even showed interest.

While you knock my efforts on Live I got over 50+ PM's of people who requested vids and sliders and edits, the same with Madness.

APF left me with limits to editing and controlling teams. In those terms it wasn't done right!
I don't recall seeing any of your All Pro vids - not like you need to have them to prove anything anyway. I was going more off our debate not too long ago where you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Has nothing to do with that, I'm extremely frustrated with football and basketball game, and the directions they are going in. I'm losing my interest. I've played basketball for 15 years and football for 3 and its amazing I'm losing my interest in these games. Especially when these are the two sports I love the most.

But to dispute whether or not, $20 made a difference in the NFL decision. I could care less anymore. I think we are all getting hosed on the whole deal. And its finally sinking in, on how much it sucks.

Why debate over something, that isn't putting money in my pocket? So whats the point!

I'm done! Have fun! It just really doesn't change the situation at hand. And APF 2k8 sucks point blank. I remember when it came out I was so happy, I spent weeks, editing my jerseys and teams, creating players. I was happy 2k is back! Then the limitations started killing that buzz, no franchise, just single season, not able to play with other teams. Repeat players on both teams, it was horrible. And then the wow! factor rubbed off and all that made it great, was overshadowed by what was wrong with it!

If there is a 2k9 and it flops too. Then I will hate 2ksports for making efforts at it, while cancelling college hoops. It wouldn't make sense.
It's understandable to be frustrated w/next gen. But we did get the best pro and college basketball games to date this generation w/the 2K games, and they've done nothing but improve. But you're disappointed. Football sucks because of exclusivity. Madden/NCAA/APF are what they are. But imo they shouldn't be judged the same. Madden/NCAA have pretty much everything going for them, have been in development for several years, and are what they are. APF lacks the licenses and it was it's first year. Yes, it would've been nice if the game didn't have the limitations it has, or that 2K knocked a homerun their first time out. But they shouldn't have had to - especially given the limitations they were forced to work within (trying something new/1st time out, 1st year of the title, etc.).

Even with all that they still made arguably the best playing football game to date. Something that seems to matter little to some. That's what I was arguing.

Quote:
I'm sure they spent months removing everything from it, so we couldn't re-create the NFL completely. In those terms it wasn't done right. I'm sure they wanted to give us a customize complete game. But didn't want the lawsuits that followed.

This leads to the facts or should I say sound business opinion. That if they had to limit their ideas to stop from clashing with EA. They'd rather not even bother.

Don't make every thread a EA vs 2k bias place! Just because someone says something towards 2ksports doesn't mean they hate them. Maybe they are just being more realistic.

I've put 18 years of my life into Sega Sports and 2ksports! So don't talk to me like I just love EA sports so I'm trying to make a model out of fat chick when it comes to their games. They might not have the things you look for, but their games are solid in a lot of categories that matter to me, and I give them a chance as well.

Peace!!!
Nothing wrong with being a graphics whore. Personally I think graphics are more than player faces and uniform sheen. Then again, I'm a little more old school and tend to place more emphasis on gameplay when I debate a game's worth.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 03-13-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #63
Rookie

aenggeorge's Arena

OVR: 5

good conference call guys last tuesday!!!!! the game is still hopeful of a comeback and they are taking their time to make look good!!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenggeorge
good conference call guys last tuesday!!!!! the game is still hopeful of a comeback and they are taking their time to make look good!!!!

so, are you saying that you heard that 2k9 may still come out??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »