Home

EA Makes Hostile Bid for Take Two

This is a discussion on EA Makes Hostile Bid for Take Two within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: EA Makes Hostile Bid for Take Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovitz
It won't be long now. This is the beginning of a new gaming era.
more like the end for some...
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

I didn't imply the beginning of a better gaming era. I don't see how it could get better with the lack of real competition in the sports gaming industry.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

this is because of GTA isnt it? what if they decide to release it early to screw EA then again i dont know what im talking about when it comes to these things...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

I can't believe this is legal. I have been looking for ways to stop the exclusive license thing from happening but there isn't much anyone can do. I know I wont be buying any games for a long time if this goes down. I think that GTA IV is going to be huge. I thought that there were laws that protected company's from this type of takeover by competitors. If there was a united front of video gamers who would stand up and say "we want competition, we want our moneys worth or we will not buy this crap that you are shoving down our throat" buy buying up all the competition, maybe there is hope but I don't see that happening.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovitz
I don't see how it (gaming) could get better with the lack of real competition in the sports gaming industry.
Competition isn't the only factor that improves games. If there is a demand for a certain type of game, then a company is going to see that and put forth a worthwhile effort to fill that demand. If the effort by that company isn't genuine they are going to fail, because the product will fall short of expectations and not fully meet the demand, competition or not.

What really makes this bid troublesome is EA's history of seeming to focus far too much on profit for the purpose of boosting their stock. They don't seem to understand that stock price is essentially irrelevant to the product they are dealing in, which is the creation and publication of video games. Their misguided strategy almost always requires each of their individual franchises to be in the black, which often results in underfunded development and shoddy products. Instead of deftly distributing their total earnings among all their franchises to help boost the quality of their products, they instead strangle the life out of them all for the sake of the greater bottom line. The idea of slow and steady growth and stability seems to be foreign to them.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
this is because of GTA isnt it? what if they decide to release it early to screw EA then again i dont know what im talking about when it comes to these things...
Because of GTA? No dude. This is mostly because of sports IP.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
Because of GTA? No dude. This is mostly because of sports IP.
You think so? Call me crazy, but I'll bet the GTA franchise alone has accounted for more units sold over the last five years than all of 2k Sports titles combined.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #16
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

yeah with GTA coming out next month EA is kicking it overdrive to make sure they get the $$$$$$!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »