Home

The player you hate the most

This is a discussion on The player you hate the most within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The player you hate the most

i have had production out of d-line and o-line players but like anything, i think it also falls into your style of play. there are golds i cant seem to make work and bronzes who fit what i do best better.

i love to play d-line. it is especially fun when you play 4 humans vs. the cpu. i usually do that with my family when they come over. we run stunts try to all meet at the QB. eventually, my ten year old nephew will take over the free safety and give up an 80 yard td, but it is the most fun i have had with a four player video game so who cares.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
The problem is the generic offensive linemen are too powerful. Hotshots develop sliders to make the generic o linemen less powerful and the dbs more aware and have more interceptions.
I think it is a correlation of both the generic Olinemen being too powerful AND the legend defensive linemen being too weak UNLESS you control them. And even when you control them if you are not glitching sometimes you wonder what is going on. Let me provide an example. It makes no sense that you cannot have a 3-4 NT to anchor your defensive line and destroy the single block. Ideally you want him forcing combo and double team blocks, but this guy cannot even defeat the single block and most of the time gets moved completely out of the play if you call anything other than razor right and razor left (I'm referring to run defense here).

That to me is pretty bad. You mean to tell me that I cannot call base and have my NT hold up at the point of attack? That sucks to be honest. I created Haloti Ngata, 6'4 340 lbs as a Silver with strength bonus and run coverage. I got tired of seeing him get manhandled by a Center he basically dwarfs. So then I played around with the abilities and edited him using other abilities. It didn't matter, if I called anything other than razor right or razor left on run plays he got manhandled. That's messed up and reveals the unfinished aspect of the game. So after hours of experimenting I went back to strength bonus and asked what's the point of strength bonus? It's not visible. This is one thing that I think developers of all sports games, football, basketball ect need to pay more attention to with respect to game play elements. Don't put things in the game if there is no visibility for it. When there is no visibility things appear as useless/fluff.

Let me give another example of this in 2k8. Run Coverage vs Run Reader. There is no visibility in the play of defenders who have at least one of these ability versus the player who has both and the player who has neither. Let's take Harry Carson who I think has both, Ken Norton Jr who has run coverage and a generic set to pass coverage who has neither. You put them in the middle and they all play the exact same - namely weak All three take too long to diagnose run plays and are far to slow in moving to be effective against the run (notice here I am not talking about their straight line speed, I'm referring to their reacting to the play).

Now the majority of people who play these games are males. Developers need to realize that like our attraction to women has a great deal to do with the visual presentation, we need that aspect in our games as well. That's why people get ecstatic when they SEE graphics and animations that have not been done previously. Give us visibility. This is one of the exact same reasons EA gets floored when they talk about certain features and what they have done. Yeah it might be in there, but I don't SEE it in the game play. Yeah you might have "improved" the offensive line blocking, but I don't SEE it. I'm still nano blitzing. The lineman is still running past the defender right in front of him and he's blowing up the run in the backfield. In the case of 2k one of the things that Jeff Thomas really harped on on the gamespot interview was improved DB play. His words were, "you better be careful where you are throwing that football." Yet on the same interview we see the DB still does not react to the quick corner hot route. I don't SEE what you are talking about Jeff

Let's take another one. Pass Rush Bonus vs Sack Master. Keith Millard, Derrick Thomas are two players with Sack Master and Pass Rush Bonus. Put them up against, Jerome Brown and Gregg Lloyd. I don't see any visual difference in their play on the field. Jerome Brown simply has Pass Rush Bonus. Gregg Lloyd has none of the above. I don't see a visual difference in terms of getting to the QB and even sacking the QB.

But this is why every defender I create will have Closing Speed. There is a clear visual distinction between defenders who have closing speed and those who do not. Although I do think that closing speed needs to be more visible in all dimensions of the game.

Anyways, the system is a good system. They just need to flesh it out more with diverse animations, player specific techniques and move sets to really show the systems usefulness and why it should be a standard for next gen football games. Right now they have simply introduced it as an idea for their game. But they haven't shown why others need to move away from the old numbers systems and adopt what they have done as a standard.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've hated Cliff Branch since the first team I ever made. He's dropped more important passes for me than I think any other player, including generics.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 32

I am using a created Ted Washington for my nose tackle in my 3-4. I am using strength bonus, run reader, and run coverage. I play mostly a 3-4 and Teddy is plugging up the middle. I am still trying to find a pass rushing 3-4 OLB.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I am using a created Ted Washington for my nose tackle in my 3-4. I am using strength bonus, run reader, and run coverage. I play mostly a 3-4 and Teddy is plugging up the middle. I am still trying to find a pass rushing 3-4 OLB.
What line stunts are you calling? I have called all of them and he still gets driven out of the way. I'm not seeing a visual display of how some the defensive abilities are distinct and how they impact the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsao
I've hated Cliff Branch since the first team I ever made. He's dropped more important passes for me than I think any other player, including generics.
Word. Branch has been nothing but a disappointment to me. I had him on my Raiders team and I couldn't stand his loose route running. Moreover, he dropped balls and was a total wuss over the middle, which is realistic, but still. I subbed Willie Gault in for him and liked him better--lots tougher, still fast, and as hands just as good or better than Branch's.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #23
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
What line stunts are you calling? I have called all of them and he still gets driven out of the way. I'm not seeing a visual display of how some the defensive abilities are distinct and how they impact the game.
The major problem in my opinion is the generic settings, because there are no set ratings for each legeng, the generic settings changes the way your legends play more than the generics themselves in my opinion. It forces you to make decisions on making all linebackers play like they are inside linebackers or outside linebackers, you can't choose cause it forces you to make the whole linebacking corp play as one or the other. It ruins the front 7 building experience cause the front 7 is already underpowered compared to the offense.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
The major problem in my opinion is the generic settings, because there are no set ratings for each legeng, the generic settings changes the way your legends play more than the generics themselves in my opinion. It forces you to make decisions on making all linebackers play like they are inside linebackers or outside linebackers, you can't choose cause it forces you to make the whole linebacking corp play as one or the other. It ruins the front 7 building experience cause the front 7 is already underpowered compared to the offense.
Well if what you are saying is true then when I set my generic Dline to run then they should play the run better and my NT shouldn't be getting blown up as much but he still does even if I set it to run. I can set it to balance and the same thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »