Home

Open Field Running

This is a discussion on Open Field Running within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 17
Open Field Running

Let me just say i Love this game, it is not perfect by any means, but one of the best football games i've played.

One thing that really irks me is the open field game.

When I have a player that is supposed to be elusive I dont really get that feel. I know how to do all the special moves and all (which I HATE the charging system) but when I get someone one on one in space I want to be able to cut/maneuver by them easier. Most of the times when I'm in this situation I end up having to run through the guy. No matter who I have and what "attributes" my runner has. I hate the charge system for moves, I want to be able to press a button and if my guy has quick feet he should have a great juke move without having to charge. I just don't feel the agility and athleticism that I should when I have an elite player in the open field.

Also I dont get many opportunities to get guys in space. The CPU plays mostly zone so that could be it, but If I do a quick hitch or some kind of short pass to get an athletic receiver in space, a defender is usually on me as soon as I catch the ball and there is no way for me to make a move to get by him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Open Field Running

I agree 150%
Old 05-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

They seemed to have toned down the effectiveness of moves pretty substantially from NFL 2K5, but more importantly they seemed to have really stressed the individual abilities for each player.

For example, I've got RB Freeman McNeil on my team. His abilities are the double charge juke move and cutback. I was playing in practice mode and really couldn't get the running game going. I decided to focus on his moves, and sure enough when I started to play to his strengths he started to go off. It was pretty obvious too, as I'd run a sweep... Cutback to a hole set up by a blocker, and McNeil would get a pretty clear burst of speed.

It was then I realized that that's what this game is about. I've also got WRs Andre Reed and Willie Gault. Reed is good at catching passes in traffic, while Gault is good on the deep ball. So I run a few plays catered to their strengths, and sure enough I had great success.

Also, generally speaking, you need to give guys enough space to set up moves. Even just a simple juke needs a lot of room or else the tackler will start to wrap you up, or knock you to the ground. This wasn't the case with 2K5. In that game you could maneuver a bit better in tighter situations.

But again, I really think they stressed the individual moves. While running with McNeil he rarely is able to stiff arm guys, or lay his shoulder down on DBs, but when he cuts back he starts to shine.

It's an interesting new system and really adds to the strategy.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I agree with both Koshi and the OP. I actually run with McNeil most of the time, and he might be my favorite back in the game because I've figured out which plays to call to get the most out of him and I can get good ground production and use the higher tier picks at other positions.

That said, I have been in the open field with McNeil numerous times and have been brought down 1-1 more than 90% of the time. I feel like the only times I can really succeed in the open field is when my guy is just plain faster, or when I can truck a guy. If it comes to finesse moves, I get tackled.

I do see the cutback working very well with him, though, and I love the way that the game makes you use players according to their strengths to be successful. I just wish the 2nd level juke worked better.

When I was using gold backs, you could wiggle the right stick and get out of tackles, but what I didn't like about that is that it always produced a spin-type animation, and I just thought it was cheesy after a while so I gave it up.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Also I dont get many opportunities to get guys in space. The CPU plays mostly zone so that could be it, but If I do a quick hitch or some kind of short pass to get an athletic receiver in space, a defender is usually on me as soon as I catch the ball and there is no way for me to make a move to get by him.
This area they need to improve on. They improved the screen play from 2K5, but yeah, the quick hitch still often traps you in a lengthy catching animation which gives the defender time to make the tackle. It works though, you just have to do it in the right situation, and make sure you get the ball out there quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
That said, I have been in the open field with McNeil numerous times and have been brought down 1-1 more than 90% of the time. I feel like the only times I can really succeed in the open field is when my guy is just plain faster, or when I can truck a guy. If it comes to finesse moves, I get tackled.
In my limited play time with the game it also seems that they emphasized the tap X (PS3) to break tackles a bit more. You really have to be fast, but if you tap fast enough you can break some tackles... Or at least almost break them and get going forward for a few more yards. This goes for break aways too. I was getting caught from behind, but started to really go crazy on the X button and can now break away from defenders.

But yeah... I think they over did the emphasis on individual moves, to the point where normal moves don't work well enough. I'd still like to be able to stiff arm guys every now and then. I know in 2K5 you could send guys to the ground pretty easily with a stiff arm, so maybe they wanted to compensate for that and just did too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Of course... There are gameplay sliders too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »