Home

Sticking with this over EA's '09 titles?

This is a discussion on Sticking with this over EA's '09 titles? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Sticking with this over EA's '09 titles?

Curious to see if you guys that are still playing this game will be playing only APF for the upcoming football season; or will you go out and buy any of the EA titles (Madden, NCAA)?

I haven't bought Madden since '04 so I doubt that I'll be getting '09, especially now that I have the uniform codes for APF (and I'm thinking about buying 2K5 again and updating the rosters there).

The last NCAA game I bought was '07. It was a decent game - better than Madden - but still not at the same level as '04 and '06. That said, this one is looking promising. I'll probably wait for impressions to come out before deciding.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Sticking with this over EA's '09 titles?

i just got the nlf 2k5 updated to my 360 and between that and apf, i will not be buying EA's titles.

i could be tempted to buy a used copy of the EA's 09's if EA puts out an amazing title. but i will wait about a 6 weeks after each is out to decide.

every year the hype machine goes off, the initial impressions proclaim it the best ever and then week two comes around and the unplayable comments start. then the war is on between EA loyalists and EA haters. after the three or four weeks of skirmishes the reliable impressions can be read.

at that point, used copies are available and i can decide.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

it's the same bs every year
i don't expect anything different
Old 05-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

I think Radja got it right. Even the reviewers tend to buy into the Madden hype every year, helped by the flow of EA advertising dollars, and you don't get a real look at "issues" until the game is out for a week or so.

Even if Madden 09 is worth playing, I'd buy a rental or used copy instead of new. I won't support EA and help them get exclusives and buy out the competition. In the end, all gamers lose when that happens.

Look at how little EA has done with Madden on the PS3/360 so far, and you see the result of no competition. Every year, you hear disappointed gamers say "Well, maybe next year..." and the cycle repeats itself.

Okay, sorry for the rant, but with 2K5 and updated rosters on my 360, plus APF 2K8, I don't feel any great need to buy a new football game from EA.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

I'll do what I always do: I'll rent Madden, start up a game, run a sweep with my HB, and check to see if he gets magnetically pulled sideways towards the LB as he's running in the open field. And when I see that happen, I'll remove Madden from my game console tray and return it the next day, just as I did with Madden 08, 07, 06, etc.

I refuse to play a football game with dumb, stupid, cheesy suction tacking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 28

You guys are funny. Everything you all are saying is on point. Watch, as more and more reviews come in how we hear how great 09 is and how 08 was the lowliest piece of trash to fill a disc case but 09 will solve all that and make breakfast in the morning.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

I still play APF offline with my brother and still enjoy the constant chessmatch.

I will probably get NCAA 09' due to the online dynasty because I have people that guarantee at least 10 to 15 years of online dynasty. I like the improvements from both 09' football titles, but there has been nothing from videos, interviews, and previews that have me on the edge of my seat.

For NFL 2K5 I still enjoy it with out of date rosters and I will probably start a season using a fantasy draft. Take care.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
Watch, as more and more reviews come in how we hear how great 09 is and how 08 was the lowliest piece of trash to fill a disc case but 09 will solve all that and make breakfast in the morning.
it is this point in every review that makes me mad. every year, the reviewer gives madden a good rating while pointing out all the improvements to certain flaws in last years version. however, if you read the previous years review, rarely are any of those flaws mentioned. but now the reviewer acts as if it made the game unplayable.

now, this is not EA's fault. i am not bashing EA. it just seems a good portion of the reviewers must not play the games they review. few mentioned the problems in MLB 2k8 that were visible....oh... i dont know.... after the first ball went into play in my first game.

all sports games have some flaws. sometimes they are minor, sometimes quite major. before i want to buy, it would be nice to be warned before i spend $60.00. i feel the journalistic responsibility of the game site is to help the consumer make an educated purchasing choice.

if you are going to review a game, especially a game like madden that is going to draw an unusual amount of hits to your site, do it right.

of course, when i re-read that last statement, i realize there are probably more reasons to write a bad review with a high score than to write any quality review that might point out flaws in the golden goose.

Last edited by Radja; 05-26-2008 at 04:18 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »