Home

I give up trying to play with linemen in this game

This is a discussion on I give up trying to play with linemen in this game within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
I give up trying to play with linemen in this game

I tried out a Titans team today that was based on Madden ratings, and all it did was show me how horribly broken the line play is in this game. Here was my team:

Golds
RDT - Albert Hanyesworth (98 )
ROLB - Keith Bulluck - (97 )

Silvers
C - Kevin Mawae - (94)
RDE - Kyle Vanden Bosch (93)
RG - Jake Scott (92)

Bronzes
SS - Chris Hope (92)
LOLB - David Thornton - (89)
CB - Cortland Finnigan (88 )
FS - Michael Griffin (88 )
QB - Vince Young (88 )
LT - Michael Roos (88 )

Here are some things I was seeing pretty much all day long, even with my legend line of 2 silvers and 1 bronze going against an all generic defensive line and the computer in straight 4-3 zone most of the time:

Quote:
generic DTs ripping right through double teams from my silver G/silver C like they were a bunch of scrubs playing high school ball

countless instances of unnecessary double teaming by my linemen, resulting in situations where I've got 4 guys blocking 2 defenders, 6 guys blocking 3 defenders, etc.

countless missed blocks where my legend linemen just ignore defenders running free in the box so they can go all the way downfield and block a safety (at best) or an imaginary defender in no-mans land (at worst).

Maybe it's just because I was playing the CPU (legend difficulty) and not a real opponent, or maybe people are right, and this game is just best played without legend linemen at all--at least then the linemen have a reason for sucking.

As much as I want to use linemen and make realistic builds of teams, it just seems it doesn't make any difference at all whether I've got a bunch of generics in there or 2 silvers and a bronze.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: I give up trying to play with linemen in this game

Weird. My star linemen always perform well. My current Giants classic team only has 1 star OL (Jumbo Elliott) and he is a beast.

Are you holding the ball too long before trying to pass? Even the best linemen can only block for so long before the defender is going to get past them. How about running plays? Are you reading the blocks and hitting the right holes, or just trying to run to the outside?

I'm not trying to insult you at all as a player of this game, so don't take it that way. I'm just throwing some questions out there that might help explain why your linemen aren't performing.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

Last edited by DJ; 06-03-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 28

You're right. You have to play the game the right way and it seems to follow suit. I used to think gold DE's and OLB were kind of a waste in this game but I've changed my philosophy at play calling and it's helped alot.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

In case it wasn't clear, I'm not talking about defensive linemen, I'm talking specifically about offensive linemen and how they perform on legend difficulty.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
In case it wasn't clear, I'm not talking about defensive linemen, I'm talking specifically about offensive linemen and how they perform on legend difficulty.
Yep...I replied as such.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 28

It was clear you were talking about O-line but I hear this same argument about all lineman and was just chiming in.

Last edited by totalownership; 06-04-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

APF 2k8 is very specific. You have to know the strength of your team and players. When I play against the Beast, Reggie White creates havoc. You have to pick your spots when you run to his side. If you have a mismatch on the other side of the ball or at center you may need to attack a different spot. Naturally I run more to the left side but had to adjust to exploit the mismatches I had in my advantage. If you have a gold on gold its win some, lose some, just like in the real NFL. Reading your blocks also helps. You also need to know your linemans strenght. Is he a pass or run blocking lineman?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Weird. My star linemen always perform well. My current Giants classic team only has 1 star OL (Jumbo Elliott) and he is a beast.

Are you holding the ball too long before trying to pass? Even the best linemen can only block for so long before the defender is going to get past them. How about running plays? Are you reading the blocks and hitting the right holes, or just trying to run to the outside?

I'm not trying to insult you at all as a player of this game, so don't take it that way. I'm just throwing some questions out there that might help explain why your linemen aren't performing.
I have to concur w/ wlfpack. I learned early that a great Oline is the key to success (no different than 2k5) and all my legends have preformed as expected.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »