Home

EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeover

This is a discussion on EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeover within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #33
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
I cant believe you guys are even debating this. If EA bought 2k tonight at 10:00PM........Everything 2K related would be in the trash at 10:01PM.

EA is the business of selling licenses. Not games. And they sure as heck dont waste time on trying to make games better. Let alone support a seperate studio that makes better games.

Why spend one penny on development when all you have to do is slap the exclusive license sticker on the box?
I know EA is the enemy here but the NHL game is probably the best sports game out this year and they are only improving on that. Granted competition has pushed them to that end, however you can't stop people from buying bad games. I have not purchased Madden since the intial PS1 game. I don't care who makes the game and what code as long as it is good.

If 2k dies there will be another to replace it I am sure. If anything this has nothing to do with EA but with the NFL. The NFL has basically killed 2ksports.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: EA Sports presents NFL APF, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the takeov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
Are you a shareholder? What does money have to do with US the GAMERS getting a better product? What soes it matter if EA can make money on APF?

EA already has ALL the money under the sun. And they still make BAD games.
Who gives a ratz azzzz if APF makes EA money. Doesnt help the GAMERS.
read the thread, you missed the point if you think I support EA
Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #35
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
If EA bought Take Two, then I doubt I would ever play a sports video game ever again period. There's enough games out there to play to avoid the sports genre entirely, and enough companies making games (for now) to avoid the EA logo as well.
Agree 100%
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #36
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekey55
Gotta love the Strangelove reference
I was gonna do Barry Lyndon, but I think the subtleties of William Thackeray would somehow have gotten lost on the Operation Sports reader.

I'd also like to point out that the more I play APF the more I realize that it is NOT a full on simulation game. It reminds me more of an arcade game, sort of in the same vein as say a Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest... In which the players are almost caricatures. Because if you look at the stats in season mode you'll see that it ain't no sim game.

EA could easily take this game and market it as an semi-arcade type of game with NFL gridiron greats... Release one version a few years down the line, and leave it at that... And still have their precious Madden and NCAA Football to dominate the marketplace.

Well... Whatever... Time will tell...

It was in the reign of Electronic Arts
that the above OS users
lived and quarreled; good or bad,
handsome or ugly, rich or poor, they
are all equal now.

(I told you )

Last edited by spit_bubble; 06-21-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
They'd be throwing money away.

APF, under the control of EA, would not be in competition with Madden. As a one shot deal a few years down the line it would serve as an alternative NFL title, much like The Bigs or MLB Power Pros has served 2K Sports and their MLB license. They could easily distinguish APF from Madden by the way they presented and promoted it... Or simply give it the NFL license and watch it thrive.

The NFL has a storied past that EA has yet to really acknowledge in any shape or form. Last I checked the NFL is still the most popular sport in the US, and one that has a history so rich and vast that there's clearly much to be reaped and even celebrated in proper form.

If EA can publish two NCAA Baseball games for cryin' out loud, along with however many Rugby and Arena Football games they've put out, I really don't think it's a stretch to think that APF could get the green light under EA. In fact the more I think about it, it really is pretty much a no brainer. For them NOT to do anything with APF would be the foolish decision.
Does World Championship Wrestling ring a bell?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #38
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
Does World Championship Wrestling ring a bell?
No. Cuz I don't watch me no rasslin'.

I watch me some squidbillies though.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
They might put out multiple products, but they wouldn't maintain completely separate code bases. They'd ditch the APP2K8 code base and go with the Madden / NCAA one since they already have 2 games running on it. Less work = more $$$. So, while they might release another APF, it would be an APF style game with the Madden engine, thus we lose the biggest that made APF a success and set it apart from Madden, namely the game play.
this is dead on. if you are a super optomist then i guess the best that could happen is hat EA would debate or put out polls to see which is the better code and if APFs code won, then theyd use it for madden and NCAA but i really doubt theyd do anything like that tbh....
Old 07-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #40
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

^ Yeah, because throwing away a game that's already built and rebuilding it with a different engine is a lot less work than simply redressing that game with NFL garb.

This wouldn't a matter of maintaining anything. It'd be a matter of using what's there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »