Home

Players who ball for you

This is a discussion on Players who ball for you within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #345
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Players who ball for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
I really like eugene robinson as of late.I never used him before cause most everybody else did.so I changed it up. He seems to have a wrap tackle and run reader ability to me.although for someone with ball hawk I have yet to intercept a pass in 3 games??Go figure.
Ever since I did some labbing in before Armchair 3 I always pick Marion over Robinson. While there are always aberrations and YMMV, but I've found that Eugene can wrap tackle about as well as I can, which isn't good enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #346
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Montana has a knack for getting balls off with accuracy while being hit, but trust me bro, when Selmon and White are on, you have ZERO chance. I've put very good players into ridiculous tailspins on offense with these guys.
It does not work against Montana, even CreatineKasey can vouch for that.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:11 AM   #347
MVP

OVR: 18

after hearing about how good deacon jones and lee roy selmon are, i decided to create a team around these two and maximize their talents.

the results have been staggeringly awesome. i let deacon take the quarterback's blindside since he has ball strip, and i use selmon on the strong side, since i can use his swim move to get past the right tackle so fast that, even if the quarterback sees it coming, he's either going to have to throw while running backwards or get sacked. and if the running back helps on selmon, prepare for deacon to get that ***.

i've always slept on using gold defensive ends.

like the quarterbacks facing my team, i shall sleep no more.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #348
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by firrea80
It does not work against Montana, even CreatineKasey can vouch for that.
Well, all our experiences vary, but I've beaten Montana-led teams with this setup several times, and the teams were run by a better APF player than me.

And Bmore, to your point, the golds, if schemed right, are downright filthy. Their production is amplified because almost nobody takes a legend OL, let a lone 2. When Selmon is locked in, you almost don't have time to complete your drop.

Given the ease with which 3rd and long can be completed in this game, having ends who simply don't allow long routes to develop is paramount.

What I'd say, though, regarding the Selmon and Jones combo is that it's nice to also have the inside-out combo that Selmon and Randy white offer. You can negate a great set of ends with 90 series playes, WCO style passing, etc. But when you have a DT who can kill 90 series plays and a DE who can kill the 50 series, you're golden.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #349
MVP

OVR: 55

Gold DE's will get you more pressure than gold pass rusher OLB's in a 3-4 overall. They won't be as involved in the run, but they are extremely hard to avoid in the pass game. Gold OLB's are harder to avoid overall when good playcalls are made.

The strategy with a team that has such a fierce pass rush is to just really try to get your opponent into 3rd and long, rush 4 and get off the field. If you played a power run team you'd be putting 8 in the box all day.

Basically 2 of the games best pass rushers really is a hard counter to wide open pass attacks. I'd probably pair a run game of my own with this defense, or at least heavily commit to the run.

It is possible to double team the guys, but it isn't easy to do and you'll ALWAYS have an eye on them during your pass plays (unless you want to get killed ).

My ACQBS2 team had Bethea and Randy White on the DL. With Lambert at ILB I could kill the run game by myself and force those 3rd and longs where the 2 DL just take the game over. Randy White didn't get a sack the first few games, but after that he had at least 1 per game. That's 1 drive killed per game single-handedly by him. Bethea is overrated IMO. I like Youngblood and actually LC Greenwood better. Greenwood's speed rush is just awesome. He plays the run better too.

In a 4-3 defense I find it hard to get off the field if I don't have talent at the DL. No matter how good my DB's are, if I can't pressure the QB I'll get torched.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #350
MVP

what i've tried to do with this team is try to emulate the colts' philosophy of putting up points on every drive, getting a stop or two early, and then forcing the other team into a passing game that allows the dominant defensive ends and the rest of the team's speed to dictate how things go. i feel if i can force the other team into a 14-3 hole or have them passing the majority of the time, then there's no way they can stay on the field because my ends are going to be ruining their drives.

the other night, i played a guy that had earl campbell, randall cunningham, don maynard, ben coates and a bronze wideout. earl only finished the game with about 12 carries for 58 yards because after i got a stop or two, he couldn't get any stops on me, so his offense became incredibly predictable (lots of corners and posts with a screen or two), so he just continued to get eaten up by my ends and running for his life.

g - de, deacon jones (as creatine has said, he is the most athletic defensive end and routinely chases down running plays from the backside)
g - de, lee roy selmon (when on his game, he is unblockable)

s - olb, greg lloyd (when uses properly, he is an 85% shut down run stopper and very useful in keeping the middle passing zones regulated with his footsteps ability)
s - qb, ken stabler (makes all the throws for me)
s - wr, herman moore (makes all the catches for me, lol)

b - wr, rob moore (herman moore redux)
b - wr, ricky sanders (his quick feet make him great underneath, and he's no slouch going lone if he's single covered)
b - fs, fred marion (subbed at ss, faster than charlie waters)
b - fs, eugene robinson (my go-to safety not named rod woodson or ronnie lott)
b - olb, otis wilson (quick feet is a killer and i think he has an undercover wrap up tackler ability)
b - ot, korey stringer (just in case the other team has a pass rusher, i can at least stifle his efforts with korey protecting ken)

surprisingly, i'm doing pretty well with my generic running back (one of the pittmans) because teams load up against my pass by coming out in nickel sets, so i can usually match their bronze, silver or even gold running games, especially when they give up on the run and force the pass.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #351
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Well, all our experiences vary, but I've beaten Montana-led teams with this setup several times, and the teams were run by a better APF player than me.

And Bmore, to your point, the golds, if schemed right, are downright filthy. Their production is amplified because almost nobody takes a legend OL, let a lone 2. When Selmon is locked in, you almost don't have time to complete your drop.

Given the ease with which 3rd and long can be completed in this game, having ends who simply don't allow long routes to develop is paramount.

What I'd say, though, regarding the Selmon and Jones combo is that it's nice to also have the inside-out combo that Selmon and Randy white offer. You can negate a great set of ends with 90 series playes, WCO style passing, etc. But when you have a DT who can kill 90 series plays and a DE who can kill the 50 series, you're golden.
i think if i wanted to really ruin a team's passing game plan, i'd keep selmon and move him to the weak side, take randy white instead of deacon, and then convert stringer to dexter manley on the strong side, and essentially have a line that can dominate any situation. they would essentially have to use shotgun exclusively to pass, meaning i could key on the run if they came in any normal formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #352
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

AW, which side do you put Randy White on? I had him right next to Selmon on the weak side and found he got doubled too often to have much of an impact himself. Then again, when I blitzed and he got one on one it was a different story.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »