Home

Chances of a Gameday comeback

This is a discussion on Chances of a Gameday comeback within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Chances of a Gameday comeback

I know its not a 2k question but this is the section of the forum with the more knowledgeable football gaming fans.

What are the chances of the NFL Gameday franchise coming back?

Is the NFL exclusive deal the same as the MLB contract where a first party developer could make a game? like MLB the Show
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Chances of a Gameday comeback

This one is different; only EA can make NFL games, at least for the next several years.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

that sucks thnx for the answer though
Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Yup, it sucks hairy balls--gangrene infected hairy balls. But it is nevertheless the case. Thank god we have APF!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Rookie

bugboy's Arena

OVR: 0

I hate to bump old topics, but I obviously should have discovered this forums several years ago. Wish I had, but better late than never. So here we go.

What will happen if the NFL license ever becomes available again?

You won't see Gameday. Obviously you'll see 2K resurface with an NFL game. It is hard to predict whether or not Sony would try another football series. If they decided to, though, I can assure you it won't be called "NFL Gameday."

Why? Because of previous history.

Sony/989 rebooted or scrapped all of their other old sports series like NBA Shootout, NHL Faceoff and quite frankly, I don't really associate MLB The Show with any of the old MLB games, including the first couple that were done on the PS2 (2004 and 2005). I'm sure the MLB one will have some folks disagreeing with me, but so be it.

Gameday ended with a thud, 989 Sports is a defunct brand and Sony probably doesn't want to go there again.

It'd be kind of like asking whether or not EA might ever do Triple Play again if they had the opportunity to release another MLB product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Thats not true for 1st party games. If microsoft or sony wanted to make a nfl game the license agreement does not apply. Thats why sony can still have the show while 2K has the license.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewee
Thats not true for 1st party games. If microsoft or sony wanted to make a nfl game the license agreement does not apply. Thats why sony can still have the show while 2K has the license.
The MLB exclusivity is for 3rd parties only, only 2k can make console games - of the 3rd party publishers. Because it doesn't apply to 1st party developers that allows SCEA the rights to make The Show.

The NFL license is true exclusivity, only EA can create NFL titles for consoles, neither Sony or Microsoft could.

As for what would happen in the unlikely scenario that exclusivity ended (it's much more likely to continue than to expire IMO), nobody knows. It's unlikely many developers/publishers would want to make the investment that EA is willing to make. There's then the investment to make a good feature rich game, a process that would take a number of years before seeing a very good ROI on that investment.

If exclusivity expires it's not going to 'open the door' to a bunch of football games, the license is too valuable and will price out the little guys.

Last edited by mestevo; 07-12-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Rookie

bugboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
The NFL license is true exclusivity, only EA can create NFL titles for consoles, neither Sony or Microsoft could.

As for what would happen in the unlikely scenario that exclusivity ended (it's much more likely to continue than to expire IMO), nobody knows. It's unlikely many developers/publishers would want to make the investment that EA is willing to make. There's then the investment to make a good feature rich game, a process that would take a number of years before seeing a very good ROI on that investment.

If exclusivity expires it's not going to 'open the door' to a bunch of football games, the license is too valuable and will price out the little guys.

The other problem is that with the obvious exception of 2K, is there really any company out there who most people would trust to make a good football game?

The idea of Rockstar or Konami doing a football game would make me reach for a bottle of Tums.

I'm not going to line up for another NFL Blitz and I also don't have faith in Tecmo because they would just cut and paste outmoded ideas from the 80's, which they have done with all newer versions of their football game anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »