Home

Might pick up Madden today.

This is a discussion on Might pick up Madden today. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #145
Pro

MikeRo72's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Might pick up Madden today.

Based on this thread I will definitely rent the game, and if it is playable (as many 2k fans have said) I may buy a used copy in 2 months or so. (I am adamant about not supporting the NFL's exclusivity policy).

However, someone answer this question for me:

Slap the official NFL license on the current version of APF, would it rate a 9 or 10 form the majority of the gaming publications and community?

Now remove the NFL license from this year's version of Madden. Does it still rate a 8?

I am curious because I have yet to play this year's version.

Last edited by MikeRo72; 08-15-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #146
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo72
Based on this thread I will definitely rent the game, and if it is playable (as mnay 2k fans have said) I may buy a used copy in 2 months or so. (I am adamant about not supporting the NFL's exclusivity policy).

However, someone answer this question for me:

Slap the officialNFL licenseon the current version of APF, would it rate a 9 or 10 form the majority of the gaming publications and community?

Now remove the NFL license from this year's version of Madden. Does it still rate a 8?

I am curious because I have yet to play this year's version.
Again, I am a 2k guy first and really have never been a Madden guy. Techincally I could see Madden being an 8 without the license.

APF IMO, would be in the 9's as well. Provided they were able to produce a working franchise mode, something they were never able to accomplish when they had the license, dating back to the DC versions.

I think APF, with a years worth of gameplay tweaks, the license and a working Franchise mode would probably be mid 9's.

In any case, imo, Madden is at worst, worth a rental. I know a lot of 2k fans who hated every version of Madden, next gen who like it a lot. I was lukewarm with it after playing it initially, but I have begun to like it the more I play. take that with a grain of salt however as I have only had time to play a handful of games.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #147
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think the OS review glossed over some of the game's gameplay issues - or didn't discuss them at all. I think Madden benefits immensely from being the only football title out this year, and for having sucked for so long - it doesn't get judged in the way it should. People lower their expectations of the title. If you check out the APF review last year and the Madden review this year (same person), you'll see there was more meticulous approach in judging the gameplay in the APF review. Granted, APF is seriously lacking in much besides gameplay, and it's online offerings - but I thought it was interesting last year when Madden '08 wasn't judged similarly, and it's kind of the same this year. I agree that the game is worth a rent but I do wonder would the game be looked at the same way if it weren't for it having NFL exclusivity.
WOW! I just read the APF review and yes, it seems like the reviewer to Madden 09 glossed over the downsides/glitches, even defended them and then slapped a pretty good score on the overall game. Not once did he really go into depth about the gameplay or the Franchise Mode much, just a couple blurbs here and there.

The opposite can be said for APF. You read nothing but great points as to why the game is good, in fact, he went on and on about how great the gameplay is. Then he hits hard on a few downsides then slapped a way below average review. Doesn't seem fair at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »