Home

Defensive Strategery

This is a discussion on Defensive Strategery within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Defensive Strategery

I haven't used a Bush-ism in here yet (not a political TOS violation, just a quote), so here goes. I'm looking to talk defensive stragegy on a few particular points.

1. How to play successful zone defense in this game--it's utterly eluded me, so I've taken to going to a man base with pressure and the occasional zone just to confuse the passer.

2. Defensive line slants and blitz combos--what each slant is good for and which blitzes are most effective with it.

3. Personnel--if you're gonna run zones, where do you want your legends, how are you setting your generics, etc.

4. 3rd down strategy--it seems that I ALWAYS get my opponents into 3rd and long strategies and get burnt on a post to Clark or a slot guy.

5. Blitzing in general--how much do you all do it?

Plenty of fodder for discussion here, but I want to move to a more sophisticated style of defensive play and not simply load up on DBs. My current squad is a concession to the pass-happy onliners and I have 4 CBs. With the exception of Urlacher, I've been killing 'em and making 'em quit, but it just isn't fun to play that way to me, so I want to mix it up more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Defensive Strategery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I haven't used a Bush-ism in here yet (not a political TOS violation, just a quote), so here goes. I'm looking to talk defensive stragegy on a few particular points.

1. How to play successful zone defense in this game--it's utterly eluded me, so I've taken to going to a man base with pressure and the occasional zone just to confuse the passer.

2. Defensive line slants and blitz combos--what each slant is good for and which blitzes are most effective with it.

3. Personnel--if you're gonna run zones, where do you want your legends, how are you setting your generics, etc.

4. 3rd down strategy--it seems that I ALWAYS get my opponents into 3rd and long strategies and get burnt on a post to Clark or a slot guy.

5. Blitzing in general--how much do you all do it?

Plenty of fodder for discussion here, but I want to move to a more sophisticated style of defensive play and not simply load up on DBs. My current squad is a concession to the pass-happy onliners and I have 4 CBs. With the exception of Urlacher, I've been killing 'em and making 'em quit, but it just isn't fun to play that way to me, so I want to mix it up more.
Let lab with headset on. Give me a call. I play 99% zone/combo zones.

Peace
Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Ha, I was hoping you'd bite, Grunt! You killed me with that ish in our league game. PM me your number and we'll run a clinic. UR the man, bro.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Banned

I just pm my information. I can play some shut down d against gold wrs with zones/combo zones. Cover 3 is my friend.

Peace
Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

I was thinking cover 3 bc of the deep fades, outs. I got your info and I'll get back to you after work. Thanks, man!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
You're gonna have to try harder on the Bush-ism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategery

And I have all the answers to your questions... I keep them in my 'LockBox'.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
I was thinking cover 3 bc of the deep fades, outs. I got your info and I'll get back to you after work. Thanks, man!
When I spread my cover 3 it is really effective against fade routes. I use the cover 2 shell to bait the fade routes but that leave me open to the deep post.

Last edited by grunt; 08-11-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

grunt, you on 360?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »