Home

Going to the dark side

This is a discussion on Going to the dark side within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Going to the dark side

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
Don't know if that's answered your question but I lean toward saying that the teams do feel like their NFL counterparts with regard to play style.
Personally I would say they do more because of the playbooks. Tiburon did a great job from what I've seen in making each offensive playbook somewhat distinctive. But the players have almost no distinction whatsoever, in part because of the reasons you mentioned. And that's one of the things Tiburon has done a poor job with. A very poor job with. I think this may be the last major sports game that hasn't implemented some sense of signature style into the gameplay - not sure about the hockey and soccer games, but it's obviously been done in the basketball and baseball games. And one unlicensed football game that's already a year old. It's hard to tell whether Madden doesn't utilize it's stars because there's not much of a difference between the players or the issue is more rooted in how the game is programmed. Either way it's an issue because I'm never made to feel that I have to compensate for playing a certain team a certain way because of the talent they have.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

OK, I've played 3 games so far and I have to say overall that I like the game. Yes there are some flaws (I'll get there) but the game also does a lot of things right, too. I'm still adjusting to the speed of the game versus what I'm used to on APF. Here are my initial impressions

Pros
-First thing, the game looks absolutely beautiful. The stadiums look good and the player models are probably the best I've seen in an EA game.

-Running game. While I still think 2k's blocking scheme is better, EA has really cleaned this up. I haven't seen any Mario running and you really have to look for the holes to find yardage instead of just bouncing everything outside. I like the stretch plays as the OL on the backside of the play still block so you can cutback if need be.

Oh, and Adrian Peterson is a friggin' stud. He tore up the Broncos for 203 yards on 18 carries. Once he gets to the 2nd level, game over.

-With the right slider set (I've been using Heelfan's) you can eliminate Robo QB and that really helps the defensive side of the ball. I played one game on All-Pro with default slider settings and J.T. O'Sullivan was 16-of-22 for 199 yards with 1 TD and 3 INTs (so he only threw 3 incomplete passes) against the Giants.

In the last 2 games, both played with custom sliders, Cutler was 17-of-30 (56%) for 177 yards with 0 INTs in a 24-10 loss to Minnesota (I controlled) and Brady was 23-34 (67% which is right where he should be) for 237 yards and 2 TDs in a 31-13 win over the Falcons (I controlled).

-Teams do mimmick their real-life counterpart. New England ran a bunch of 3- and 4-WR sets and Brady chucked the ball all over the place. They also handed off to Maroney several times out of the shotgun formation.

Cons
-Atmosphere is pretty much non-existent. While the game looks great, you can't really differentiate from one game or stadium to the next. Would like to see some sort of home field advantage implemented.

-Interceptions. No, the problem isn't too many picks. It's that NEARLY EVERY pick the DB or LB makes is a LEAPING grab. No need to jump every time you go for the ball. I've only seen 1 INT where a guy broke on the ball and caught it in stride.

-Line interaction. Still seeing suction blocking, but that's pretty much true in any football game out there. Not a huge deal to me as long as I see some sacks and pressure. In my first game, each team had 1 sack. Game 2 saw Minnesota (me) get 4 and Denver 0 and Game 3 the Patriots had 3 and the Falcons 1. I can definitely live with those numbers.

So, for the $7.08 I wound up actually spending on this game, I have to say it's money well spent. As I said before, I haven't played Madden much in the past few years, but I think this game is - at least so far - holding its own and is a worthy title.

There's also a 2nd patch coming out soon and that should make things even better.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
OK, I've played 3 games so far and I have to say overall that I like the game. Yes there are some flaws (I'll get there) but the game also does a lot of things right, too. I'm still adjusting to the speed of the game versus what I'm used to on APF. Here are my initial impressions

Pros
-First thing, the game looks absolutely beautiful. The stadiums look good and the player models are probably the best I've seen in an EA game.

-Running game. While I still think 2k's blocking scheme is better, EA has really cleaned this up. I haven't seen any Mario running and you really have to look for the holes to find yardage instead of just bouncing everything outside. I like the stretch plays as the OL on the backside of the play still block so you can cutback if need be.

Oh, and Adrian Peterson is a friggin' stud. He tore up the Broncos for 203 yards on 18 carries. Once he gets to the 2nd level, game over.

-With the right slider set (I've been using Heelfan's) you can eliminate Robo QB and that really helps the defensive side of the ball. I played one game on All-Pro with default slider settings and J.T. O'Sullivan was 16-of-22 for 199 yards with 1 TD and 3 INTs (so he only threw 3 incomplete passes) against the Giants.

In the last 2 games, both played with custom sliders, Cutler was 17-of-30 (56%) for 177 yards with 0 INTs in a 24-10 loss to Minnesota (I controlled) and Brady was 23-34 (67% which is right where he should be) for 237 yards and 2 TDs in a 31-13 win over the Falcons (I controlled).

-Teams do mimmick their real-life counterpart. New England ran a bunch of 3- and 4-WR sets and Brady chucked the ball all over the place. They also handed off to Maroney several times out of the shotgun formation.

Cons
-Atmosphere is pretty much non-existent. While the game looks great, you can't really differentiate from one game or stadium to the next. Would like to see some sort of home field advantage implemented.

-Interceptions. No, the problem isn't too many picks. It's that NEARLY EVERY pick the DB or LB makes is a LEAPING grab. No need to jump every time you go for the ball. I've only seen 1 INT where a guy broke on the ball and caught it in stride.

-Line interaction. Still seeing suction blocking, but that's pretty much true in any football game out there. Not a huge deal to me as long as I see some sacks and pressure. In my first game, each team had 1 sack. Game 2 saw Minnesota (me) get 4 and Denver 0 and Game 3 the Patriots had 3 and the Falcons 1. I can definitely live with those numbers.

So, for the $7.08 I wound up actually spending on this game, I have to say it's money well spent. As I said before, I haven't played Madden much in the past few years, but I think this game is - at least so far - holding its own and is a worthy title.

There's also a 2nd patch coming out soon and that should make things even better.

I haven't played the game in a week or so, but this seems pretty accurate to me.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack

Pros

Cons

Good to hear that you like it. Maybe I came off a little cynical in my previous post. I am going to try Heelfan's sliders, heard that they are pretty good.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 8

Yeah, Djwlfpack pretty much summed up how I feel.

I use to play AP2K8 whenever I got on XBL, but I haven't played a game since Madden 09 dropped.

You can't beat playing with & against real teams/players & every game seems to come down to the last 2 minutes.

I know alot of ya'll ride & die for ESPN/AP2K8, but you should @ least try madden out again.

Philadelphia Eagles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #22
Rookie

Kayotick's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC
You can't beat playing with & against real teams/players & every game seems to come down to the last 2 minutes.
That's why I have updated my rosters on ESPN 2K5. Also I did pick up Madden, but I think I may wait for the 2nd patch before I really start getting into it. The one thing that is really lacking is the presentation and crowd atmosphere. Other than that it is a good game, not a great game.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC
Yeah, Djwlfpack pretty much summed up how I feel.

I use to play AP2K8 whenever I got on XBL, but I haven't played a game since Madden 09 dropped.

I know alot of ya'll ride & die for ESPN/AP2K8, but you should @ least try madden out again.
The thing is some people prefer great game-play & a great football atmosphere over a mediocre representation of professional football that is Madden 09.I wish I could enjoy it hell everyone does nobody wants to play with oldschool player's & generic dude's named supernaw.Some people just want a game with great game-play & depth & aren't willing to sacrifice it for official teams.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantshootrite
The thing is some people prefer great game-play & a great football atmosphere over a mediocre representation of professional football that is Madden 09.I wish I could enjoy it hell everyone does nobody wants to play with oldschool player's & generic dude's named supernaw. Some people just want a game with great game-play & depth & aren't willing to sacrifice it for official teams.
Amen!

I will probably give madden a good try after the 2nd patch is released but until then I'm not going to go out of my way to make a game serviceable when it should have been out of the box.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »