Home

Going to the dark side

This is a discussion on Going to the dark side within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Going to the dark side

Well folks, looks like I'm going to be picking up Madden '09 for my 360. Don't pelt me with stones just yet. I'm taking advantage of the Gamestop trade-in deal and b/c I have a credit on my Edge card, it'll cost me less than $10 to pick up the game.

I haven't played Madden in four years ('04 was the last verison I owned) but for that price (and the fact that I can't find a new copy of NCAA anywhere locally) I figure it's worth another look.

Just b/c I'm buying Madden doesn't mean APF will be retired; I still plan on playing that game and think it will be interesting to compare the two once I get some games in with Madden.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Going to the dark side

I look forward to your APF - Madden impressions. Especially the running game, and D-Line play.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

No pelting from my corner, DJ. I am curious to hear what you think about the game, though. As you know, I got NCAA, felt ripped off, and went back to APF vowing never to give EA another cent. If you think highly of the game, post us some impressions here and I may give it a rent. I hope I'll still see you on the APF boards, though!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I will definitely do that, guys. I really respect both of your opinions when it comes to APF. I wish I could play you guys on XBL, but I haven't gotten the new digs settled enough yet to move the 360 into my office. Once I do that (hopefully in a few weeks), I might upgrade to gold and give online a whirl.

I'm really curious to see the OL-DL interactions and just the overall feel of Madden compared to APF. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period. Sounds like Madden is pretty good this year; only big issue is Robo QB, although people are finding slider tweaks to lessen that aspect.

I still have 2k5, too, but again, with the whole space issue, I can't work on uploading new rosters just yet. So that's another fallback if I don't like Madden, although I am going in with an open mind.

TrojanMan, have you played NCAA since the 2nd patch was released? I've read the game is much improved.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 28

I did that. The more i played the other game, the more i hated it. The more you see how bad it is. When you start to play it, you will be like well, this isnt so bad. Then after a while, you will be like ok, this is not good.

I will sell you my copy half off. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

^ that is my exact expierience.

At first its like "This is a very good game" .

After about 3 games you realize the offline expierience is ruined.
Minnesota Wild
Old 08-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 21

I agree w/everyone else; looking forward to the impressions. In particular as KC said, the initial impressions then the impressions after getting some real time in with the game. I don't think anyone's fooling themselves that Madden will one day hold the title of best playing football game; the sad thing is that it should've been accomplished long before now. And Tiburon's slow progress does nothing but enhance 2K5's and APF's reputations. I didn't play NCAA, but after playing Madden it definitely gave me a better appreciation of what APF is and what they were able to accomplish. That contrast stands out that much more when you look at Madden in replays.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Hi, everyone. I can give you some impressions. I am a long time 2k fan. I went to the dark side for the first time in years.

Passing: There is no comparison here. The offensive line/defensive line interaction on APF reigns king over Madden. In madden the line gets confused by oncoming blitz packages and you get sacked in about .00005 seconds. Just a game killer.

Ball physics are another aspect of the passing game that really APF just destroys Madden. I feel like at anytime in APF I have control of the ball. There is no better feeling than stepping up into the best looking passing pocket in video game history and delivering a perfectly timed pass to the receiver just past the outstretched arms of the defends. Oh in madden this doesn't exist because they improved their ball physics but as soon as you throw the ball there are 4 to 6 defenders sprinting across the field to knock the ball down. GAME KILLER! If a corner is beat they are beat EA!.

The wide receiver cornerback interaction in APF hands down better than Madden. There is noting quite like watching Jerry Rice throw a generic corner on the ground when they are pressing him and running freely down the sideline. Madden you cannot beat the defender unless it is man coverage and you run an IN or an OUT or a POST ROUTE. Then you beat them everytime.

Running game: Let me start by saying Madden's running game is much improved. It feels very rewarding to gain yards. That being said the guards and full backs get very confused on who to block with the pull to the outside. APF blockers realistically pull and send you off in to the second level of the defense putting your secondary on an island. Great feeling when you play all pro. In addition weight does not factor into Madden's running game therefore, on occasion WARRICK DUNN WILL TRUCK WARREN SAPP. This is some thing about the game that really gets me angry. I think Madden would be well served to use the rating system of APF and make sure only certain players have certain abilities.

Defense: Impossible due to the fact that quarterback's throw at a completion percentage of about 95% a game. Everytime you blitz the quarterback snaps the ball and throws off his back foot for a completion. Their bodies spin around in EA SPORTS fashion to throw perfect darts. There is no way to use the man defense it just doesn't work unless your opponent is throwing a deep pattern. Offensive and Defensive line play is bad. I am sure that EA knows its bad. You get stuck to your blocker and you cannot penentrate. I will say though that I tweaked the sliders and the GIANTS D Line became very agressive allowing me to drop more men into coverage and use different blitz packages. This tweak mad the game feel farely realistic.

I will cut it off there. Sorry for the long post if anyone wants to know anything I can give you an unbias opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »