Home

NFL Head Coach 09-shows the path 2K should have taken for APF.(IMO)

This is a discussion on NFL Head Coach 09-shows the path 2K should have taken for APF.(IMO) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: NFL Head Coach 09-shows the path 2K should have taken for APF.(IMO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
The legends route, IMO, was a big mistake. A fictional league with franchise mode would have been much better then the legends/online focus.
In retrospect I still think it could've gone either way. I think with the legends, there's instant name recognition and something that can be identified with, something you don't get with all generics. And while full customization would've been extremely desireable to most of us on the board, I think it's safe to say most people buying the game weren't going to take the time to customize a whole league. Even with the ability to share rosters I don't think that's the complete answer. I finally purchased College Hoops and I have to say finding the appropriate rosters to use from all of the choices isn't exactly straightfoward to someone that doesn't frequent CH forums or boards.

Also one of the things that adds flavor to APF is players having unique signature styles. While you could have that with totally generic players, it does lose some of it's emphasis when you're identifying these styles with fictional players. Years into any franchise you're using generic players anyway, so it's hard to say how much of a difference it would make one way or another. I do think the fact that Head Coach is using actual teams with their own rich histories is something that can be casually dismissed. Also any franchise mode is one broken/doesn't work properly feature away from being deemed a failure. I'm not saying you're wrong; just saying I can see why they chose to go the online/legends route for their first attempt.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 9

I don't really understand how they had "Only 6 months". Sure, they may have only spent 6 months developing the game...but A) They choose when to release, B) They could have started earlier if they wanted. That excuse doesn't fly with me.

Theres no reason this game couldn't have had a basic league structure (hey, mimic the NFL for all I care) with customizable options. Or hell, just give us the basic league structure and franchise mode.

I'm 99% certain that what killed this game was lack of franchise mode. To non-online players (which is the majority still. Some dabble online, but their main enjoyment still comes offline) this game had 0 replay value. Once you have a team you like and play a season (two?) there is nothing else.

Besides, who is to say they couldn't have used the legends? A legends draft+ franchise mode provides the best of both worlds. Then you have the generics with background stories to act as a draft class.

Would anything they did made the "NFL" fans happy. No. But for me, the reason I didn't buy the game was no franchise mode (I ended up owning via a never-returned rental by blockbuster, but thats an accident). I know many others who felt the same.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
The thing is all that stuff isn't football. Some people including myself hate all that micro management stuff.

1. There are a whole bunch of text based games and real time strategy games to fulfill that micromanagement need that alot of players enjoy more than the game itself it seems.

2. When I mean the game itself, I mean the blocking, passing, hitting, play calling and all the other details only related to the actual on field action.

3. Infact the part I hate the most in APF is the freedom in which you can change players. It takes away time from actual games and strategy.

4. Not to mention the more time the developers work on that stuff the more the onfield action suffers.

If anything the gameplay in APF is way better than that in NFL 2k5. If they had more time and focused on balanced gameplay and not just overpowered offenses, with realistic physics animations and not just ratings then the game would be easily my favorite of all time.
i dont know about you but micro management is the key to football success. you often here about the countless hours and film watching they put in to scout out the best of the best. this is where the tom bradys, bob sanders, peyton mannings and people of that nature come from. countless hours of micro management.
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwil5050
i dont know about you but micro management is the key to football success. you often here about the countless hours and film watching they put in to scout out the best of the best. this is where the tom bradys, bob sanders, peyton mannings and people of that nature come from. countless hours of micro management.
Yeah it would be nice to have as a option but myself & most other people want to play football & have that micro management stuff second.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

I feel that All-Pro Football has a ton of replay value based on the large pool of players and the gold silver bronze tier system. I love playing with different teams.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwil5050
What does it matter if you scout a quaterback that is a scrambler but the gameplay is just like 2k5. In 2k5 the scrambling qb's never scrambled during games.

It all comes down to the gameplay on the field first and foremost. All that other stuff is useless if the play on the field does not equate to the abilities of the players.

It would only provide good stats when simming which some people rather do then play games.

Now if you want to sim games and the like that would be perfect for some. I on the other hand would like a finished product on the field first.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
The thing is all that stuff isn't football. Some people including myself hate all that micro management stuff.

1. There are a whole bunch of text based games and real time strategy games to fulfill that micromanagement need that alot of players enjoy more than the game itself it seems.
I agree with Catch on this one. I think the challenge that APF had is the same one that all sports developers are having these days. The market has become very specialized, and people want depth in the area that interests them:

1. You have the franchise crowd as the OP described.
2. Then there is the online crowd.
3. Then there is the RPG crowd ie "Be a Pro".
4. Then you have a 4th category that doesn't care about any of the above. I fit into this category with other old timers. I just want a deep gametime experience, and the ability to play through a single season.

With limited time, they can't make everyone happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »