Home

Controlling LB, tips?

This is a discussion on Controlling LB, tips? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Controlling LB, tips?

Typically on D I control the DT. Not sure why, but this how I've always played, dating back to the first years of Madden. Anyway, it seems like most people I play against control either the MLB or OLB.

How long does it take to get comfortable using the LB? What are some good strategies to employ when using a LB?

I always feel like I'm taking the LB OUT of the play when I control him, that's probably why I run with a DT.

My D is still pretty solid, but I'd like to see if moving to LB doesn't make it better.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Controlling LB, tips?

Just posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here too because it's relevant. The trick is learning to not run full speed all the time--this allows you to change direction when necessary and keep yourself in the play.

It takes a while to get comfy with manual D on this game, and I started practicing by controlling different defenders in the back 7-8 when I was up by a lot or down by a lot--that allowed me to learn with little penalty for mistakes.

With my LB, I know I won't usually have the first or best shot at the back (though you sometimes get that), but I will have the opportunity to close down a lane, maintain outside leverage, or something like that, and that's what I do. It's basic assignment football, but once you know how work with your line calls to gum up lanes, etc., it does wonders for your run defense.

For example, I know the formations that people run counters out of (and they run lots of them online, so I control the ILB on the opposite side of the counter, and when I see counter action--say to the left--I shoot that gap to either disrupt the pulling guard or force an unanticipated cut by the back. This strategy alone has turned a play that gains lots of positive yards into a minimal/manageable gain or a loss.

Another strategy I'd recommend is learning how to control the LB over the TE in man coverage to take away the TE slant. Everyone runs that route, and with Metzelaars or a higher-tiered guy it can really eat you up. Once you see the player break on that route, you hop inside and time your swat.

And on blitzes, unlike in previous versions of 2k football, you almost have to control a blitzer to assure that they won't circumnavigate the globe before trying to tackle the QB. The blitz routes are way off, and you'll notice CPU defenders making a beeline then swerving off course for no reason, resulting in completions instead of sacks or hits forcing off-target throws.

There's lots more, but I hope that helps! I don't know why I'm telling you this, since we play, but that's the spirit of OS--it's all love, baby. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 55

My biggest tip is to start tapping speed burst in whatever direction the run play is going. If it is an ISO and you are the ILB speed burst to that FB and charge when closer to make a reach tackle/move. On outside runs against good RB's it is especially important to make a solid read and confront the RB in space preferably around the LOS. Also, as trojan said taking away the middle and proving you are solid at it really can gum up people's gameplans for easy yards over the middle. The TE slant can equal turnovers for you if people are arrogant and throw it up anyway.

The best success I've had on blitzes are manual also. Just slamming speed burst and sometimes creeping forward before the snap to get momentum going can do wonders. Being fully charged or near it when engaging the offensive line helps too. The best thing I've done when I have not come in untouched and I've had to shed a blocker is the rip move. This is your LB move on the XBOX and I really feel it is the quickest move to the QB. It doesn't hurt to mix it up as the game goes along but I often use the rip move to shed blockers on run plays also. Just something to think about.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

You can also use the right analog stick and push up when engaging a blocker to blow him up. I've used this to good effect as well.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
You can also use the right analog stick and push up when engaging a blocker to blow him up. I've used this to good effect as well.
Really?! I need to try this! Have you ever gotten a bull rush to work well with a linebacker? Jack Lambert is one of my fav's and if I could get his bullrush to work I think he'd be the best iso stuffing ILB in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

No, the bull rush is broken in the game. You're not gonna get through blockers doing this, but you will stop their progress and gum things up.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

I think me & Trojan discussed this before, but, the gist was, any player with Any of the 'Break block Moves' (swim, club, bullrush, etc.) gets a boost doing any of those moves;

So basically Lambert w/ bull rush will have better succes using a swim or club then a player with No 'break block move'.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »