Home

Madden Rocket Catches!

This is a discussion on Madden Rocket Catches! within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
Most Anticipated Sports Games of 2023
Five Ways EA Sports PGA Tour Can Improve Golf Career Modes
Undisputed Early Access Impressions - Coming for the Belt

Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
Madden Rocket Catches!

This move is really starting to irretate me because now everyone is doing it.

What a rocket catch is and how you do it in this game is when you line up 2 or more receivers on side of the formation. The slot receiver or tight end seems to get a cushion on coverage (happens in 2k5 as well). So guys call hot routes for the slot receiver and have him do a go route. What happens is whoever is covering deep on that area of the zone turns their back and runs the other way leaving an easy bullet pass to the receiver and the quick switch to that player making the rocket catch.

Yes you can play man coverage but then it ruins the game because all your doing is picking bump masters and playing man coverage all game. It takes away alot of strategy if alll people are just doing rocket catches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Madden Rocket Catches!

I don't see this very often in this game, but you have a couple of options. You can get a FS with big hit, footsteps, or even coverage or ball hawk. That should lessen the ability of the WR to hang onto the ball, or even to catch the ball.

Alternatively, I wonder if manually controlling the FS and going for the hit or the breakup would help. There's also manual shading--I wonder if you could shade the DBs inside to get a better jump on the ball by the FS.

Lastly, there's disrupting the throwing lane. I'd imagine a good blitz through the a or b gap could disrupt the throw.

If you want to lab it in a custom match, I'd be game, so let me know.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I don't see this very often in this game, but you have a couple of options. You can get a FS with big hit, footsteps, or even coverage or ball hawk. That should lessen the ability of the WR to hang onto the ball, or even to catch the ball.

Alternatively, I wonder if manually controlling the FS and going for the hit or the breakup would help. There's also manual shading--I wonder if you could shade the DBs inside to get a better jump on the ball by the FS.

Lastly, there's disrupting the throwing lane. I'd imagine a good blitz through the a or b gap could disrupt the throw.

If you want to lab it in a custom match, I'd be game, so let me know.
The player over the top in zone runs away once a go route is audibled by the other player. It has no effect if the go route is part of the play, only seems to happen on audibles. He turns his back and runs 5 -10 yards ahead of the receiver leaving the receiver time to rocket catch the ball.

I would move up my safeties manually but then that can take them out of the deep passes over the middle and up into the corners.

Last edited by catcatch22; 11-24-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
The player over the top in zone runs away once a go route is audibled by the other player. It has no effect if the go route is part of the play, only seems to happen on audibles. He turns his back and runs 5 -10 yards ahead of the receiver leaving the receiver time to rocket catch the ball.

I would move up my safeties manually but then that can take them out of the deep passes over the middle and up into the corners.
That sucks. I think I know what you're taking about--I've seen my DB fail to play the man or the route and just run backwards before, and it's frustrating as hell. I don't hot route to the go much, nor have I seen it done lots against me, but still, if you want to lab it just to see if anything will work, I'd be up for it. Otherwise, I guess you just have to hope you don't face guys who will take advantage of this if the AI is broken.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
That sucks. I think I know what you're taking about--I've seen my DB fail to play the man or the route and just run backwards before, and it's frustrating as hell. I don't hot route to the go much, nor have I seen it done lots against me, but still, if you want to lab it just to see if anything will work, I'd be up for it. Otherwise, I guess you just have to hope you don't face guys who will take advantage of this if the AI is broken.
Yeah I'll test it out with yah, haven't played against you in a while anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

Here's a couple of things to consider:

Focus - Make sure your DB's aren't focused on the legend WR that is probably next to the slot WR. This can leave giant holes in zones.

Also, I think seam routes are a great way to break cover 3 and sometimes cover 2. I don't think it is rocket catching or cheese to throw a seam route against this defense. Cover 4 will blow up seam routes. I have never seen this being an issue to be honest.

What coverage are you using when these "rocket" catches are happening against you?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Rookie

MINATAURO's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Here's a couple of things to consider:

Focus - Make sure your DB's aren't focused on the legend WR that is probably next to the slot WR. This can leave giant holes in zones.

Also, I think seam routes are a great way to break cover 3 and sometimes cover 2. I don't think it is rocket catching or cheese to throw a seam route against this defense. Cover 4 will blow up seam routes. I have never seen this being an issue to be honest.

What coverage are you using when these "rocket" catches are happening against you?
Great reply, I was also wondering what coverage do you see this against most.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Also you have to pay careful attention to the abilities. If the person has a deep threat WR on the outside, it's most likely going to pull the Safety out anyways. Combine deep threat WR, with focus bug and now you have a big problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »