Home

Who Throws the Most Catchable Ball?

This is a discussion on Who Throws the Most Catchable Ball? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #49
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Who Throws the Most Catchable Ball?

have to add Jonny unitus, wr's catch his balls in stride, with good ball placement. he might be my favorite qb with out leadership or sammy baugh
Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 55

Tony Mandarich was the example I was thinking. Good call Trojan! Yeah there's a lot of players who play fast football, but may not run the fastest in a straight-line race. I think many linebackers play faster than their position by eliminating false steps and excelling at other nuances of the game.

With route running, selling your moves and being on point will get you open more than just being fast most the time. I follow the Steelers closely and Hines Ward comes of as a gritty route-runner who gets the most out of his moves because he darn well can't run the fastest... but he's still one of the better WR's year after year because of other intangibles.

Moral of the story is: Raw plysical skills aren't the only thing to evaluate in a football player, or most other sports.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #51
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

I'm going to have to go with Warren Moon. My Spread team is his exclusively (And' I tried all the golds he just gave me the best passes.) and in general i can't seem to shake picking Moon as my QB on any team i use.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Moral of the story is: Raw plysical skills aren't the only thing to evaluate in a football player, or most other sports.
Man, I agree wholeheartedly. And for my money, that's why I think APF got it right by going to signature abilities that link to facets of the game rather than a series of numerical ratings that are difficult to translate to game-time situations. I don't know how much it matters that a player has 85 agility--I'm guessing that's a rough representation of shuttle-drill ability. I think it's much more useful to say that a receiver can run routes with minimal deceleration, or that a linebacker can diagnose blocking schemes and move toward the hole with minimal hesitation and wasted motion.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 14

Been giving Ken O'Brien some run lately as I've been looking for a Bronze QB who satisfies my tastes. In 3 games not one dropped pass yet, not even a Barry Foster go route from the FB spot.

I'm beginning to love anyone with Pocket Presence. It seems to make up for lack of chargeable abilities when the QB is stationary, and enhance anyone who has chargeable attributes (Unitas, Moon, Marino, Kosar). Both Troy Aikman and O'Brien have definitely been pleasant surprises lately.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #54
Banned

OVR: 8

Surprise pick-Neil O'donnell-Leadership Bonus and Signal Stealer
Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Man, I agree wholeheartedly. And for my money, that's why I think APF got it right by going to signature abilities that link to facets of the game rather than a series of numerical ratings that are difficult to translate to game-time situations. I don't know how much it matters that a player has 85 agility--I'm guessing that's a rough representation of shuttle-drill ability. I think it's much more useful to say that a receiver can run routes with minimal deceleration, or that a linebacker can diagnose blocking schemes and move toward the hole with minimal hesitation and wasted motion.
COMPLETELY AGREE TM!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 14

The other thing that's nice about not having simply numeric value for each player, is it really differentiates one from another.

Let's take Earl Campbell and Christian Okoye. While they share several "signature" attributes, they still have slight variations in their play style that are noticeable and cannot be quantified in a specific ability. With a numerical rating, I feel they would play almost identically.

Another example is QB play. Look at the difference between say Troy Aikman and Ken O'Brien. Similar attributes (Pocket Presence) but play very differently. Aikman might as well have Rocket Arm and throws almost perfect deep balls. He's also fairly accurate on the move as long as you don't throw a bullett. None of these things can be said about O'Brien.

So while Aikman has only a few "signature" abilities, he plays as if he has more. This can be said for many players in APF, and it really gives them individuality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »