Home

Your honest opinion of Dexter Manley

This is a discussion on Your honest opinion of Dexter Manley within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Your honest opinion of Dexter Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I love how this game make you think in real football terms.
So true. It's amazing how many layers there are to the gameplay and how well real football concepts translate.

Case in point: I played Tombsong yesterday, and he had a super-stud DL and generics at backer and CB. In video game terms you'd think that's suicide for the defense, but because he overmatched my OL and worked his coverages and shadings right, he killed my passing game. It was quite true to real football in that a good DL makes every CB better .

If I'm getting killed by a DE, I'll call a formation with a TE to that side, and maybe a FB too and keep them in. Or I'll keep an extra guy on that side, slide to that side, and use the FB or HB on the off side.

And these situations are actually where you call screens and swings irl. If the ends are only working upfield, you turn that aggressiveness against them by stretching plays laterally at their depth, such as screens and swings. That'll slow the pass rush down ASAP, and it will tire the ends.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #18
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Manley is Great if manually controlled.I would just add that backing him up with the fridge or saleaumua makes for and awsome pass/run defense.I like him a lot.

There is no substitute for Speed.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
So true. It's amazing how many layers there are to the gameplay and how well real football concepts translate.

Case in point: I played Tombsong yesterday, and he had a super-stud DL and generics at backer and CB. In video game terms you'd think that's suicide for the defense, but because he overmatched my OL and worked his coverages and shadings right, he killed my passing game. It was quite true to real football in that a good DL makes every CB better .
You did a good Job of handling the pressure. I built my current and last league team around this philosphy. I am still tweaking it, but you nailed my premise for building my defense like this. I want to force a team into bad throws to make up for my scrub secondary.
The thing about having a setup like this is you HAVE to make good play calls. If not you can get burnt ALOT and I HAVE, LOL.

People online gotta stop getting caught up in how a person runs their team. If someone is constantly doing the same thing, you ought to be happy. Its making life easiar for you to call plays. Once you understand what stops a play, yu can then abuse the hell out of your opponent. Its not "exploiting" for someone to run something over and over again that you cannot stop. Its only a exploit if the game itself does not allow you to stop something no matter what yah throw at it. I have yet to see a defensive play or offensive play that cannot be countered by playcalling and/or personnel.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
You did a good Job of handling the pressure. I built my current and last league team around this philosphy. I am still tweaking it, but you nailed my premise for building my defense like this. I want to force a team into bad throws to make up for my scrub secondary.
The thing about having a setup like this is you HAVE to make good play calls. If not you can get burnt ALOT and I HAVE, LOL.

People online gotta stop getting caught up in how a person runs their team. If someone is constantly doing the same thing, you ought to be happy. Its making life easiar for you to call plays. Once you understand what stops a play, yu can then abuse the hell out of your opponent. Its not "exploiting" for someone to run something over and over again that you cannot stop. Its only a exploit if the game itself does not allow you to stop something no matter what yah throw at it. I have yet to see a defensive play or offensive play that cannot be countered by playcalling and/or personnel.
Word. I was lucky to come out on top in that one, but I loved the pick you got when you had me backed up near my GL. The inside shading put your guy in just the right spot, and the pressure forced a throw before I was ready. It's neat that you can do that sort of thing in this game.

And you're right about the playcalling. I'm now working hard on manual control in the back 7, and it's paying huge dividends. I think I made 4-5 plays manually in my last game, and it vastly improves defense.

Back on topic, I've also found that a good playaction every now and again helps slow the Manley types down. If a guy is using him manually, you have to give enough different looks that he's forced to play honest defense, looking for the run first and then the pass. If you let guys like that pin their ears back, it's over.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 55

It's ridiculously easy to keep a RB in to block, or even a TE to force him to make an inside move... then you can roll out and make a play. It almost hurts him more NOT being on coverage taking plays away. This is coming from someone who tries to manually rush as much as possible
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
It's ridiculously easy to keep a RB in to block, or even a TE to force him to make an inside move... then you can roll out and make a play. It almost hurts him more NOT being on coverage taking plays away. This is coming from someone who tries to manually rush as much as possible
Co-sign. Keep your FB or a higher tier HB in on that side to take away the inside, and if the swim works, step up and under it and make the throw. Easy as pie.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Co-sign.
Co-sign?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolmaddenfanz27
Co-sign?
Did I spell that wrong? I don't use that word much, but I've notice it (or a version of it) is common on internet forums. Anyway, I agree with the post. Show me the correct way to write that word and I'll never make the same mistake again .

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »