Home

Playing with a generic scrambling qb

This is a discussion on Playing with a generic scrambling qb within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 32
Playing with a generic scrambling qb

I am using a generic scrambling qb and I suck.

Oberservations

1. They are awful pocket passers I mean if you want to see overthrows and missing receivers then use a GSQB

2. They excel of course out of the pocket. I have been so use to planting my feet and throwing the ball and I rarely roll out of the pocket.

Have anyone had success with the GSQBs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Playing with a generic scrambling qb

My vikings build, in our league. I have a generic scrambling QB (to mimic Jackson). but yea he is ALWAYS over throwing, wayyyy off the mark. If he does manage to put a good ball on their hands, well it is dropped.

I think it represent it well.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I've run with them a bit, and have one on my current Season Three prospective team.

If you stand in the pocket, they'll miss by 3 yards on a crossing route. You have to surround them with receivers who have Acrobatic Catches. I've found Mark Carrier to be a great help to these kinds of quarterbacks.

I've also found that any amount of movement helps their accuracy. For example, if you don't want to call a rollout, call a 50 pass play, and as you're delivering, step up a bit and make the throw a mobile throw. I'm not saying to run around and Mike Vick Madden 05 it, but moving even while in the pocket helps.

My last suggestion would be to have a leader on that offense somewhere.

I've actually done as well as 12-17 or somewhere thereabouts with Ted Kulaga using some of these strategies.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

PS--Didn't see Phobia's post, but thinking about what the Vikes do with Jackson is helpful. I think what you've got to do is create space laterally on the field since you know you can't go vertical with these guys.

90 plays to the HB, FB are good. Lots of the rollouts from 2-back sets have the FB running an underneath route, and nobody ever throws to that pattern in those plays. Those will help.

Also, thinking about what the Raiders did with Gannon in their SB year could help. You can work crossing routes and digs and even outs, but you have to find route combinations that will create 3-5 yards of clear space for your WR in order to compensate for the spotty accuracy of these QBs.

One good example would be the 90 cross or drag or whatever it's called. Depending on which formation you run it from you're going to have either a TE or a slot receiver running a vertical route to clear the drag. If you get the timing right and throw just as the vertical route pulls the LB or slot DB back a step, you'll have that 3 yards of space you need. There are lots of plays with built-in picks, but that's just the one that comes to mind.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
My vikings build, in our league. I have a generic scrambling QB (to mimic Jackson). but yea he is ALWAYS over throwing, wayyyy off the mark. If he does manage to put a good ball on their hands, well it is dropped.

I think it represent it well.
I played last night for the first time with a GSQB and I lost 13-7. It took me until my last drive to figure out that I need to get out of the pocket to throw the ball. When my qb was out of the pocket and on the move his accuracy and zip increase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
I've run with them a bit, and have one on my current Season Three prospective team.

If you stand in the pocket, they'll miss by 3 yards on a crossing route. You have to surround them with receivers who have Acrobatic Catches. I've found Mark Carrier to be a great help to these kinds of quarterbacks.

I've also found that any amount of movement helps their accuracy. For example, if you don't want to call a rollout, call a 50 pass play, and as you're delivering, step up a bit and make the throw a mobile throw. I'm not saying to run around and Mike Vick Madden 05 it, but moving even while in the pocket helps.

My last suggestion would be to have a leader on that offense somewhere.

I've actually done as well as 12-17 or somewhere thereabouts with Ted Kulaga using some of these strategies.

Hope that helps!

Great advice, I will try some of your suggestions. Put me on your freinds list. grunt 007
Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
PS--Didn't see Phobia's post, but thinking about what the Vikes do with Jackson is helpful. I think what you've got to do is create space laterally on the field since you know you can't go vertical with these guys.

90 plays to the HB, FB are good. Lots of the rollouts from 2-back sets have the FB running an underneath route, and nobody ever throws to that pattern in those plays. Those will help.

Also, thinking about what the Raiders did with Gannon in their SB year could help. You can work crossing routes and digs and even outs, but you have to find route combinations that will create 3-5 yards of clear space for your WR in order to compensate for the spotty accuracy of these QBs.

One good example would be the 90 cross or drag or whatever it's called. Depending on which formation you run it from you're going to have either a TE or a slot receiver running a vertical route to clear the drag. If you get the timing right and throw just as the vertical route pulls the LB or slot DB back a step, you'll have that 3 yards of space you need. There are lots of plays with built-in picks, but that's just the one that comes to mind.
Yea AW, I designed my play book with pretty much everything you were talking about. Alot of crossing routes, drags, outs, in, curls, designed roll outs, two and 3 back sets, etc

When I do throw the ball I am looking to pick up only 4-8 yards tops. First down is my dictating down. If I can gain postive yards on the ground on first down, then I can continue to pound the rock with Peterson on 2nd and 3rd. If I get stopped in the backfield, I am forced to make a short throw on 2nd to try and give me a managable 3rd down which opens up the play book more.

A GSQB is not going to make long throws. So I stick to what my team is designed for and that is pounding the ball on you. But you still are going to be forced into passing situations and converting those is soooo key.

But just like a real team lacking a good QB, you will struggle. They will makes plays here and there but when the game is on the line, You just can't rely on them. Which is the same reason it hurts my team. I am one dimensional, teams know it and can key on my running game. BUT it is realistic so I like it. Keeps the league looking and playing realistic.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
BUT it is realistic so I like it. Keeps the league looking and playing realistic.
And the best part about his offense is... it plays to the strengths of my defense.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »