Home

Daryl Moose Johnston = Best Run Blocker, Period

This is a discussion on Daryl Moose Johnston = Best Run Blocker, Period within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Daryl Moose Johnston = Best Run Blocker, Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
It's tough to spend a silver pick on a run blocking FB. I could only see it happening if I had a workhorse or gold (or both) RB behind him. It is just very hard to get production that warrants a silver pick out of that position. Of course it's possible, but it's not easy. If you can get 3-5 receptions for over 30 yards per game along with maybe a couple of carries, I could see the selection justified.
I agree with this statement. Yeah he can complement a really good running game and make it great, but you're essentially taking a silver off the field on 3rd and long situations. If it's 3rd and 10, I don't have to waste a safety to cover him, I don't need a constant double team. He's not a threat on a screen or out of the backfield for 10 yards when covered properly.

With Silvers and Golds, I'd like to have them on the field and have them be a threat as much as possible. Just about any other position will be a threat in most offensive situations. And even if I have a gold WR, I'll go with a 2RB, 2TE, 1WR for goal line/short yardage situations just to keep him on the field as a threat to pick up the 1st down or TD.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 29

If 3rd and Long is common for someone, I would think you would have more to worry about than your FB.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 14

Try grabbing Matt Snell for your run blocking needs. He's got bulldozer and brick wall, and he's a waaayyyy better runner than Moose. He also has good hands; as good as Moose's. He was a FB for those Namath Jets teams, and he can be coupled with a speed back to give a Thunder and Lightning type backfield. He's much more justifiable as a Silver because he has a nasty Battering Ram.

You can split the speed back out to WR on 3rd and long, keeping Snell as a singleback or Shotgun personal protector.

Snell is legit for sure. Here's a list of guys he couples well with:

G: Marcus Allen, Paul Hornung, Thurman Thomas
S: Roger Craig, any of the RB/WR (B. Mitchell, C. Taylor, L. Moore)
B: Dave Meggett, Eric Bienemy

Last edited by skidsboroff; 03-01-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidsboroff
S: Roger Craig, any of the RB/WR (B. Mitchell, C. Taylor, L. Moore)
Speaking of the RB/WR's... has anyone had real success using these guys? Skid I know you are running a spread system with Taylor. Has that gone as well as you expected? I bet Bobby Mitchell would be fun to use in that situation too. He has some serious speed. Is stamina an issue?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 9

ive used Lenny Moore and he does a pretty good job at running back. i used him more as a different look. Lenny can make some big plays and has the stamina of an average running back. he is fast and quick, he is good at getting to the outside. he may 1-2 tackles a game, but dont look for too many with him. Lenny is also my favorite silver receiver because for the 20 games i had him, he never dropped a pass. i loved having Lenny on my team

"Now I do right.. wherever I can manage
The devil was eating me alive but I climbed out of that sandwich"
Cunninlynguist - Doin' Alright
Old 03-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Speaking of the RB/WR's... has anyone had real success using these guys? Skid I know you are running a spread system with Taylor. Has that gone as well as you expected? I bet Bobby Mitchell would be fun to use in that situation too. He has some serious speed. Is stamina an issue?
i can speak as one of his victims, he uses taylor masterfully.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
I'm actually stoked on Charley Taylor right now. He's the key to the offense. If he goes down, I'm gonna have to adjust BIGTIME. I debated between him and Roger Craig for a long time prior to the draft, because I love dual threats.

The reason I take Taylor over Mitchell and Moore is he is a complete WR. I've noticed he probably has the worst hands of the 3, but everything else is crisp. He runs great routes and gets in and out of his breaks well. Plus, he has Bump Buster. With him Eric Martin, Eric Green, and Lofton, I can go short, intermediate, and long at any time.

Lenny Moore is very nice as well. I'd say he's probably the best RB of the 3. He was more of a RB than a WR anyway, so it makes sense.

I don't feel Bobby Mitchell as a RB accelerates fast enough. He can hit top speed, but I just don't like the way he feels in the running game.

The one thing I'm missing is a return man. Taylor gets too tired returning kicks/punts, playing RB, and playing WR. It's a small issue, but I try to work around it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 34

Funny that I read this.

I am planning on making a college, gator style, shotgun heavy offense with Steve Young as my Tebow, and either Mitchell, Taylor or moore as my Percy Harvin, accompanied by small fast guys like Drew Pearson, Cliff Branch, Rocket Ismail,

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »