Home

Gale Sayers....wow

This is a discussion on Gale Sayers....wow within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 13
Re: Gale Sayers....wow

I'm going with Earl being the best back. Granted, I haven't played many games online yet, and haven't encountered Sayers and OJ often, but I have dealt with Earl plenty of times and I struggle to keep him under 200 yards.

And Autumn Wind, I'm sure you can attest to Barry being a handful to contain.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
I have a good story to help differentiate Gale from OJ. I was playing Pappy yesterday and he fed OJ the ball early. His first two carries ended in him getting absolutely planted by Eric Turner. I mean slobberknockered. I was surprised he got up, frankly. He went back to the huddle tired, and his next carry, which was two plays later I think, he broke a 60-yard TD run that included an amazing spin out of a Turner tackle.

I know for a fact that Gale can't take that kind of pounding and come back for more; he's too slight. OJ, by contrast, is nearly as fast but much, much stronger. That's what makes him the scariest back in the game to me. With Earl, you can hit him right away and stop him before he gets a head of steam. With Gale, you just have to hit him a few times and he slows down. With OJ, he's fast enough to outrun your pursuit and powerful enough to run through it. I always feel lucky when he averages anything under 5 YPC for a game.
Im being dead serious about this,

I never have to run Gale more then 3 or 4 times a drive. If I hand him 3-4 carries he's taking one for 30-40 yards, if not to the house. I just had my lowest rushing game with him, 11 carries for 79 yards.

I'm not going to argue that he is the most complete back. I fooled around with OJ a bit the last few days, but he doesn't have the change of direction and spin move that Gale does. He did break more tackles, but I didn't see that as more productive...I can just cutback with Gale.

As a pure back I'd say Gale is probably 3rd on the list (maybe even a tick lower depending on how you feel about Payton or Barry). OJ and Earl can carry the load better and both are certainly explosive, no doubting that.

However, with Gale I get the best return man in the game, that's a touchdown every few games and better field position. The screens and swing route with him are absolutely deadly. I don't need to break a tackle, nobody can touch him in the open field (let alone weaving through the blockers).

Obviously it all comes down to preferences. With the offense I like to run, if I have to give Gale the ball 20 times a game I'm not playing well. I'm all about big plays, and thats what Gale excels at.

I am thinking of playing around with Thurman Thomas again since I got tore up with him a while ago and he fits the same mold.

PS: Autumn Wind add me on XBL: SvenDraconian43
Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
Im being dead serious about this,

I never have to run Gale more then 3 or 4 times a drive. If I hand him 3-4 carries he's taking one for 30-40 yards, if not to the house. I just had my lowest rushing game with him, 11 carries for 79 yards.

I'm not going to argue that he is the most complete back. I fooled around with OJ a bit the last few days, but he doesn't have the change of direction and spin move that Gale does. He did break more tackles, but I didn't see that as more productive...I can just cutback with Gale.

As a pure back I'd say Gale is probably 3rd on the list (maybe even a tick lower depending on how you feel about Payton or Barry). OJ and Earl can carry the load better and both are certainly explosive, no doubting that.

However, with Gale I get the best return man in the game, that's a touchdown every few games and better field position. The screens and swing route with him are absolutely deadly. I don't need to break a tackle, nobody can touch him in the open field (let alone weaving through the blockers).

Obviously it all comes down to preferences. With the offense I like to run, if I have to give Gale the ball 20 times a game I'm not playing well. I'm all about big plays, and thats what Gale excels at.

I am thinking of playing around with Thurman Thomas again since I got tore up with him a while ago and he fits the same mold.

PS: Autumn Wind add me on XBL: SvenDraconian43
Word. Like everything else in this game, it's about schemes and matchups. I like to feed my HB and grind it out, which Makes Emmitt a great choice. If you like 12 carries a game with the chance of housing any of them, Gale's your guy.

Thurman will do well for you. I decided to roll with him for a few games because nobody does, and here's my sense:
--deceptively fast, I'm talking just a tad short of OJ and Barry
--very agile, no "quick feet" but a great ability to cut sharply and string multiple moves together
--strong, he'll branch way more tackles than your opponent would think
--his stop and stiff arm moves are sick, especially the stop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6

paul hourning, another good back i never see online. i think he's the third best power back besides earl, and emmit, even tho he only has clutch, soft hands and leadership, he breaks alot of tackles. but on the sayers , oj subject, i like oj better because he'll break more tackles then sayers, but hands down sayers is the best return man in the game.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 28

Running backs in this game play to your style. I have used a few gold runnign backs. Out of the ones i have used, i liked Gale, and Marcus Allen, dudes a beast out in the flats. He doesnt excel at any one thing, but he can do EVERYTHING. He can run people over, he can break tackles, he can spin, he can cut, he can catch out the backfield.

Though, i like using Steve Young as my QB so i go with my boy Okoye. One of the reasons why i became a Chiefs fan.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I have problems establishing a consistant run game with speed backs mainly because it seems they start to wear out as the game continues. Once you start approaching 20 carries, they seem to start breaking down. Pure power guys (Campbell & Anderson) don't seem to have enough speed to get to the outsides to keep the defense guessing.

Emmitt is a beautiful blend of both speed & power in this game, maybe more so than Sweetness. If you want a "do it all" back, he is your man. Also, if you take runs inside, as they're designed, you will see a ridiculous amount of tackles broken and yard grinding. In between the tackles is where Emmitt will literally eat defenses alive.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Emmitt is a beautiful blend of both speed & power in this game, maybe more so than Sweetness. If you want a "do it all" back, he is your man. Also, if you take runs inside, as they're designed, you will see a ridiculous amount of tackles broken and yard grinding. In between the tackles is where Emmitt will literally eat defenses alive.
Exactly what I was about to post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 55

Greazy I agree with you about speed backs winding down. The beef I have with Gale returning is he always starts the series at less than 90% stamina. When other players return, particularly DB's it's awesome because nobody takes a stamina hit on your offense coming out.

That being said, it's still always cool to use the fastest RB in the game (Sayers). I remember using him on a 2 legend offense and he STILL ran for 200 yards LOL! I'd just mix up my runs and with one little mistake Sayers puts it up for 6 like nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »