Home

It's Official: No 2k10

This is a discussion on It's Official: No 2k10 within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #33
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: It's Official: No 2k10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
... a 46 defense team I'm working on (why does NOBODY run this?), and some other stuff to do, so I'll just play this if Madden isn't drastically improved.
Due to game speed and lack of effective penetration and pressure and slightly weak coverage overall.

I use the 46 almost exclusively in goal line situations, but that's about it.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Due to game speed and lack of effective penetration and pressure and slightly weak coverage overall.

I use the 46 almost exclusively in goal line situations, but that's about it.
I've done some testing and online games, and I'd say out of 7 or so games that defense was flat out dominant for 5 of them. One game I got torched using a "B" version of the squad, and one game just made some bad plays.

Here's how I set it up:
G: Woodson
B: Lewis
G: Singletary
S: Lloyd
S: Hampton (over the center, like he played in the CHI version)
S: Butler
B: Simmons (optional)

Simmons played RDE, Hampton the 2nd DT spot, over center, Singletary at Mike (between RDE and RDT in the game's version of the alignment), and Lloyd at either OLB, both of which put their hand down in that alignment.

You will absolutely murder running teams with this setup. The weakness is at the perimiter, but with Simmons on one side and Lloyd on the other, plus Woodson and Butler, you'll be just fine. And if you can manually control Singletary, you're gonna own folks.

Versus standard passing games, I've generated disgusting amounts of pressure. The idea is to get one good DL singled up (Hampton) and allow him to disrupt the pocket and blocking schemes on run plays. Then you let everyone else shoot gaps, flow to the ball and make plays. I bring Singletary sometimes, Butler sometimes, and sometimes no one, but I'll tell you, when I want to bring heat with that team, it gets brought.

The obvious weakness is 4 wide offenses, but even these can be dealt with with a little creativity. The versatility of the personnel allows for this. Butler can enforce in the box, blitz, and cover a TE or a slot guy. Woodson has enough range to make plays on a wide variety of throws to his side. Lloyd can handle a slower slot WR, a TE or a back better than you'd think. Some mixing in of zone and man also helps with these alignments.

I've found that this defense isn't perfect, but that it does several things very well. It takes an extremely poor day by everyone for the opponent's running game to dominate, and as long as the blitz packages work you'll win more than you lose in the passing game.

Unfortunately, the alignment in the game isn't actually correct, but it's serviceable, and it's a fun experiment to try things like this. I think Simmons, and perhaps even Lewis are optional, and that Lloyd can be downgraded to a bronze if you want to put more talent on offense. Depending on manual skill, Singletary can even be downdraged to a silver or bronze, but I like having the gold there for when I'm not actually using him.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
That's an interesting stat--I didn't know you could search and get results of this sort. If true, that's telling.

To the topic, I can wait another year. I've already played this game for two years and still haven't learned everything. There's a run-n-shoot team I've yet to build, a 46 defense team I'm working on (why does NOBODY run this?), and some other stuff to do, so I'll just play this if Madden isn't drastically improved.
AHH I should edit my post. Not fact... just my observation. My mistake. I was inaccurate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #36
Banned

murry's Arena

OVR: 4

I think that we will see another game in 2011 or early 2012. I think that EA made it personal when they bought the ESPN and the NFL license from 2K, and stated that they wanted to make sure that no other company can compete with them. I think that they are still trying to figure out what type of a football game to produce, and how to attract Madden gamers.

If EA puts out another sub-par game this year, I think we will see another 2K football game soon. Until then, I agree that 2K8 still offers the best game play to date. 2K8 is the first football game that has held my interest for more than a few months, and is my favorite game.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #37
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

I've been thinking about buying this game for awhile now. The fact that there's no franchise mode was what kept me from buying this from the beginning. How does this game keep it's replayability without a franchise mode?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
I've been thinking about buying this game for awhile now. The fact that there's no franchise mode was what kept me from buying this from the beginning. How does this game keep it's replayability without a franchise mode?
It's all about online, and if you have a good group to play with, the replay factor is almost infinite.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 55

^^^^

AW has it right. People complain about the depth of this game... this game is deeper for me than any other football game, ever! The team building concept is so much fun!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 8

I saw this coming, but I have to admit this is very disappointing by VC. I don't see their thought process and their marketing plan for this game. They marketed the legends minimally when 2K8 first came out and of course it didn't sell well. And what, they just decide to release a game one year and wait who knows how many years for the next installment? The game was rushed and lacked depth in my eyes because I like to play offline as well as online. They eliminated a lot of the great cutscenes in NFL2K5, like the fans cheerin and dumb stuff like that. But I thought that stuff was cool, I liked that stuff, me personally. Obviously, APF is far better than Madden, but that's not a hard feat to accomplish.

Maybe I'm just venting because I'm disappointed right now, but it just stinks knowing how much potential this game has and to see it constantly get shelfed is not promising. The game was good, but from a company that made NFL2K5, I definetly expected more from it. Maybe I'm frugal with my money, but I set expectations high when I buy video games now a days. They aren't cheap.

I want a new product... but also I want them to take their time with the next installment. They don't necessarily have to release it at the start of an NFL season. As long as they know the audience of fans to pull, they will sell alright.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »