Home

History of our Players (videos) - (APF)

This is a discussion on History of our Players (videos) - (APF) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #25
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: History of our Players (videos) - (APF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Great videos. Man, did I ever love the Cowboys & 49ers rivalry of the early 90's; those games were downright nasty with each team building during the Drafts & FA'cy just to top each other (those 2 teams accounted for 4 straight SB Championships in the early 90's).

Aikman vs Young
Emmitt vs Ricky
Moose vs Rathman
Irvin vs Rice
Novacek vs Brent Jones

The things I loved about those games was just the hatred and animosity towards one another. 49ers & Cowboys would purposefully sign players from each other to continue to out-pace the other. Deion played in SF for one SB season, then the Cowboys lured him away. Norton Jr. made his name in Dallas then got signed by SF to help them win a SB. Charles Haley worked his way out of SF to join the Cowboys.

The best matchups, IMO, was Aikman vs Young. Both players exemplified what an NFL QB should be but both had drastically different styles. Aikman was the classic pocket passer & field general who took some big shots in the pocket, but he led his team, kept all the big names in check & winged it all over the field. Young was the scrambling, big play athlete who made things happen all over the field, and he made his players better. You knew coming into these games that these two guys were prepared to to the fullest with their gameplan and they would leave it all out on the field. The closest QB rivalry I've seen since then is Brady vs Payton.

Great Emmitt video!!!! Nobody gives the man the credit or respect he deserves, but the man was easily the most well-balanced RB to ever play. He had finesse, power, hands, toughness & was a great blocker. You could leave him in on 1st & 10, 3rd & short, goaline or 3rd & long and he was always a contributor in some way during all those plays.
(Chicago bias alert)

I'll take Payton over Emmitt any day. He had great hands, was a great blocker, had all the jukes and spins, could run you over, could carry the load, and he did it all without a great line. Emmitt can't say that.

And I didn't even mention his rapping ability...

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #26
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
(Chicago bias alert)

I'll take Payton over Emmitt any day. He had great hands, was a great blocker, had all the jukes and spins, could run you over, could carry the load, and he did it all without a great line. Emmitt can't say that.

And I didn't even mention his rapping ability...
I'm tired of the o-line arguement. Emmitt almost had 1000 yards in his last season on a craptastic Cardinals team at the age of 35. If that doesn't speek volumes about his play, I don't know what does.

But yes, you make a great case; IMO Emmitt & Sweetness were probably the most complete (modern era) RBs to ever play the game. They were multi-dimensional & were, for a lack of a better word, workhorses through and through. You could never get these guys off the field, yet they still outlasted everybody in terms of yards & production.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #27
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
I'm tired of the o-line arguement. Emmitt almost had 1000 yards in his last season on a craptastic Cardinals team at the age of 35. If that doesn't speek volumes about his play, I don't know what does.

But yes, you make a great case; IMO Emmitt & Sweetness were probably the most complete (modern era) RBs to ever play the game. They were multi-dimensional & were, for a lack of a better word, workhorses through and through. You could never get these guys off the field, yet they still outlasted everybody in terms of yards & production.
Reuben Droughns also had a 1,000 yard season. So did Earnest Graham, Trung Candidate, Amos Zeraway(butchered that name), Michael Pitmann. 1,000 yds isn't that big of a feat anymore. 60 yds a game. But when he was racking up 1500, 1400, 1600 yd seasons, he was running behind an HOF Oline. Not to mention a passing agme that didn't let defenses concentrate on him........go Barry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I think Emmitt's elusiveness early in his career gets overlooked because of its sheer longevity and the memorability of his tough runs like the one vs. the Giants with a dislocated shoulder.

I remember the Colts game, though, where he caught a swing pass, stopped, spun, and left two defenders reaching so hard for air it was disgusting. In the vid you can also see the crispness of his jump cuts. He had such a low center of gravity that he could make really impressive changes of direction.

Still, he's no Barry in that regard, not by a long shot, and if Barry didn't retire far too young, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Like Shizno said, 1,000 isn't what it used to be. Barry was going for 1,300-1,600 every year. That's just nuts. And while Barry has Lomas Brown, Emmitt had Newton, Stepnoski, Moose, and HOF players at QB and WR. Barry had Rodney Peete and Scott Mitchell, though Herman Moore did help alleviate some pressure.

For all that, though, it's still Sweetness. The most perfect blend of speed, power, and finnesse this side of Jim Brown.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #29
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
Reuben Droughns also had a 1,000 yard season. So did Earnest Graham, Trung Candidate, Amos Zeraway(butchered that name), Michael Pitmann. 1,000 yds isn't that big of a feat anymore. 60 yds a game. But when he was racking up 1500, 1400, 1600 yd seasons, he was running behind an HOF Oline. Not to mention a passing agme that didn't let defenses concentrate on him........go Barry!
HOF line? Who besides Larry Allen on that line is going into the HOF? And those players mentioned above weren't 35 years old when they hit that mark, most were in their prime. Out of 15 years of playing, he only had 4 season that were not 1000 yards and 3 of which were in the 900+ yard season total 1990: 937, 2002: 975, 2003: 206 (injured) & 2004: 937).

Barry is great and he deserves all the accolades he's earned over the years but he was never the consistant back. He was not a short yardage guy, not a goalline guy, and he was not a pass protection guy on 3rd & longs. Also, he leads the league in most rushes for a loss. With him it was either a strike out or a home-run/runner on base. And to end all "Barry for RB god" arguements: he quit and retired on his team the day before traning camp. Barry COULD have broken all the records, but he didn't -- HE QUIT.

Payton always said it would take a special RB to break his record, someone who wanted it more, and you can't deny Smith didn't want it more than anyone else.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #30
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

Emmitt's line in Arizona was barely any worse than Payton's in his early years with Chicago.

And, the deciding factor in this argument is that Payton could also throw the ball, punt, and also dance better than Emmitt. Dancing with the stars is a joke.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjHS_L42Dgc

sick vid of the best linebackers

butkus likes to try and rip people heads off
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 4

JOHN TAYLOR
BEAST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGCSjt2kpOg
HANDS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vHy...eature=related
YAC ATTACK!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIui_uqU3w
TAKE THAT DEION SANDERS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtIXamqDSrQ
46 DEFENSE STINKS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2hCX_428o

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »