Home

How to Break Specific Offenses/Plays

This is a discussion on How to Break Specific Offenses/Plays within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: How to Break Specific Offenses/Plays

Okay here is my secret to blowing up run plays in the 4-3 with controlling the MLB.

I read the 3 interior linemen and the RB's all together.

If you read a pull, you immediately run where the guard is on the playside and run through an open crease. If you read stretch, same thing you run playside where that guard is. Use your R stick reach tackles to make a tackle if you aren't lined up with the ballcarrier directly. If you are head up feel free to use the R stick high, low, OR big hit tackles to blow the guy up. Big hits with a LB in the backfield are one of the most fun things you can user in this game.

Against an Iso you need to sprint into the hole and engage the FB in the backfield ideally taking up the most space in the hole you can. You DON'T want to hit the hole favoring a side usually, because it leaves the other side open to run through without a change of direction.

Once engaged with the FB, use your R-stick to "move" the FB and your player into the direction the RB takes (or the direction you guess he will take). Ideally this shifts you and the blocker into the RB, makes him stop in his tracks and redirect him completely. When this happens he's dead in the water. The higher tier LB's with superior block shedding abilities (Lambert is the hands down best) can shed the FB and make the tackle himself regularly.

Basic concepts when controlling the MLB:

- Always play downfield, it's not THAT hard to recover against hte pass.

- Always read the OL, they give away the play and you won't get fooled by playaction, counters or anything.

- Make sure your L stick is slightly leaning forward before the snap ideally, sometimes your LB will naturally backpedal at the snap on run plays and this screws everything up.

- When attacking a run play, as a rule of thumb you never want to pursue outside of a 45 degree angle. This means DO NOT run parallel with the RB outside on a toss play. As a MLB you play INSIDE to OUT. Take away the cutback lane and use that 45 degree angle to attack the ballcarrier on outside runs.

- Even though you are being physical and making big hits (so it is natural to do things harder with your controller) the more gentle and precise you are with your L stick the more success you will have tackling especially in close proximity. Defense is a challenge on this game with momentum so using the reach tackles along with keeping your weight under you can make your MLB a game-stopper.

- NEVER speed burst unless you are in straight line pursuit. If you speed burst with a ballcarrier head-up on you chances are they will juke you out or you will flat-out miss. Always hold "A" and run accordingly at the beginning of a play. Being under control as a defender is paramount in 2k football. Running around mindlessly doesn't work like it can in other games.

- I'm a believer in tapping to shed tackles as a LB for the most part. Others like to use pass rush moves, club and rip being the best, to shed blocks on run plays. I prefer to tap "A" (which is the bull rush move). It seems to keep the defender under control once the block is shed so I can pursue properly and quickly. This means when you engage the FB on the Iso, feel free to tap A and use the R-stick to move that FB into the RB as mentioned earlier.

- When in coverage, zone = just hold the strafe trigger and read your nearby WR's. Even if you can't knock the ball down be ready to BIG HIT the ballcarrier. This is SO gratifying, it kills stamina, momentum, and sometimes the WR . Man coverage = read your assignment and SPRINT to it in most cases. Generally your MLB will be slower than the TE/RB you are covering. Generally they move to the flats and you'll need the head start.

- Know when to tip balls, to go for interceptions, AND when to lay the guy out. This is very difficult to master. Basically if you are isolated with a higher tier player, tipping the ball is preferable. When covering the deep middle and you KNOW the deep post/seam route is coming, consider to SPRINT to the spot where the ball will come. Now, yes you give up the underneath stuff but sometimes you are saving a TD over the middle. Speed is not on your side so running to the spot makes up for that.

That's all the stuff I can think of right now. The cat's out of the bag. Hope someone learns something out of this somewhere
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Great stuff Kasey--solid 2K strategy and the best thing is that it's also real football strategy. You're the master with Lambert.

One question regarding the playside guard. I was always taught to read the guards in football because they don't lie. So for example, say you're seeing a strong power-o out of the I formation. The LG is pulling, and you're saying to charge the vicinity of the RG and look for a crease?

Just want to make sure I'm understanding. I could see someone charging into the vacated slot of the LG, even though the play is going to the offense's right, and pulling the guy down from behind.

What you're suggesting seems like a better strategy, so long as I'm understanding it correctly.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Great stuff Kasey--solid 2K strategy and the best thing is that it's also real football strategy. You're the master with Lambert.

One question regarding the playside guard. I was always taught to read the guards in football because they don't lie. So for example, say you're seeing a strong power-o out of the I formation. The LG is pulling, and you're saying to charge the vicinity of the RG and look for a crease?

Just want to make sure I'm understanding. I could see someone charging into the vacated slot of the LG, even though the play is going to the offense's right, and pulling the guy down from behind.

What you're suggesting seems like a better strategy, so long as I'm understanding it correctly.
Against a power-O I suggest looking for a vicinity between the G and T PLAYSIDE. This means there will NOT be an obvious open hole. What ends up happening to me very often against that situation is I end up scraping out to the point of contact (right around where the T and TE are) and reach tackling inward to sweep up and make the tackle/take on the FB/pulling guard ideally in the backfield.

I guess I should mention when attacking downfield and you see no hole to attack through, ideally now you want to scrape outward to the point of contact, wherever that may be on the outside. When you do this you need to be under control because your player will be VERY vulnerable to a cutback simply because of where your momentum is heading. Because of this you'd be wise to NOT speed burst and be ready to cutback and reach tackle in case of this occurrence.

It's not always as cut and dry as I wrote it as in the example you provided AW, but in that case I'd suggest feeling out the run and hopefully hitting hte point of contact.

On toss plays (for contrast) if you can knife into the backfield at that 45 degree angle not only do you take away ANY cutback/loss of speed/use of moves, but you have a good shot at a tackle for a loss. Sometimes that opening isn't necessarily there, and once you attack that spot you'll need to redirect yourself and pursue accordingly, but in the end that attitude of downfield football attacking in between the guards yields some devastating results.

I like to play gap football, meaning I like to control the gap I'm supposed to on run plays. The CPU punishes you accordingly in practice mode when you fly out of responsibility so I learned quickly what my MLB responsibilities are supposed to be.

I sat in practice mode for HOURS just playing MLB against various run plays to build these rules, so they are somewhat calculated and not just guessing. They've worked for me, especially with high tier players who have that quick first step (run reader). If you get a bad jump on the ball you might be relegated to trying to shed the OL that wants to block you, or to pursuit right away.

Another thing I could mention is when playing OLB in a 3-4 you can see the blocker who wants to get you when a run is coming AT you. In this case I'd suggest taking the outside shoulder on him and reach tackling inward to contain the run at the spot the runner will be at and ideally making the tackle in the backfield.

Playing OLB is much easier than MLB in this game in my opinion, but you are more easily avoided at times and you have more pass rushing responsibilities.

EDIT: To better answer your question about filling a BACKSIDE hole from a pulling lineman... that's something I haven't spent time doing but theoretically it could serve a purpose with an athletic enough MLB. It'd be tough because you'd have to change direction once past the L.O.S. and pursue a RB that's already faster than you. If it's a counter there's a better chance you'd get ahold of him in the backfield with a good jump.

Last edited by CreatineKasey; 04-27-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Okay here is my secret to blowing up run plays in the 4-3 with controlling the MLB.

I read the 3 interior linemen and the RB's all together.

If you read a pull, you immediately run where the guard is on the playside and run through an open crease. If you read stretch, same thing you run playside where that guard is. Use your R stick reach tackles to make a tackle if you aren't lined up with the ballcarrier directly. If you are head up feel free to use the R stick high, low, OR big hit tackles to blow the guy up. Big hits with a LB in the backfield are one of the most fun things you can user in this game.

Against an Iso you need to sprint into the hole and engage the FB in the backfield ideally taking up the most space in the hole you can. You DON'T want to hit the hole favoring a side usually, because it leaves the other side open to run through without a change of direction.

Once engaged with the FB, use your R-stick to "move" the FB and your player into the direction the RB takes (or the direction you guess he will take). Ideally this shifts you and the blocker into the RB, makes him stop in his tracks and redirect him completely. When this happens he's dead in the water. The higher tier LB's with superior block shedding abilities (Lambert is the hands down best) can shed the FB and make the tackle himself regularly.

Basic concepts when controlling the MLB:

- Always play downfield, it's not THAT hard to recover against hte pass.

- Always read the OL, they give away the play and you won't get fooled by playaction, counters or anything.

- Make sure your L stick is slightly leaning forward before the snap ideally, sometimes your LB will naturally backpedal at the snap on run plays and this screws everything up.

- When attacking a run play, as a rule of thumb you never want to pursue outside of a 45 degree angle. This means DO NOT run parallel with the RB outside on a toss play. As a MLB you play INSIDE to OUT. Take away the cutback lane and use that 45 degree angle to attack the ballcarrier on outside runs.

- Even though you are being physical and making big hits (so it is natural to do things harder with your controller) the more gentle and precise you are with your L stick the more success you will have tackling especially in close proximity. Defense is a challenge on this game with momentum so using the reach tackles along with keeping your weight under you can make your MLB a game-stopper.

- NEVER speed burst unless you are in straight line pursuit. If you speed burst with a ballcarrier head-up on you chances are they will juke you out or you will flat-out miss. Always hold "A" and run accordingly at the beginning of a play. Being under control as a defender is paramount in 2k football. Running around mindlessly doesn't work like it can in other games.

- I'm a believer in tapping to shed tackles as a LB for the most part. Others like to use pass rush moves, club and rip being the best, to shed blocks on run plays. I prefer to tap "A" (which is the bull rush move). It seems to keep the defender under control once the block is shed so I can pursue properly and quickly. This means when you engage the FB on the Iso, feel free to tap A and use the R-stick to move that FB into the RB as mentioned earlier.

- When in coverage, zone = just hold the strafe trigger and read your nearby WR's. Even if you can't knock the ball down be ready to BIG HIT the ballcarrier. This is SO gratifying, it kills stamina, momentum, and sometimes the WR . Man coverage = read your assignment and SPRINT to it in most cases. Generally your MLB will be slower than the TE/RB you are covering. Generally they move to the flats and you'll need the head start.

- Know when to tip balls, to go for interceptions, AND when to lay the guy out. This is very difficult to master. Basically if you are isolated with a higher tier player, tipping the ball is preferable. When covering the deep middle and you KNOW the deep post/seam route is coming, consider to SPRINT to the spot where the ball will come. Now, yes you give up the underneath stuff but sometimes you are saving a TD over the middle. Speed is not on your side so running to the spot makes up for that.

That's all the stuff I can think of right now. The cat's out of the bag. Hope someone learns something out of this somewhere
Very very very good reads... Now I know casey's secret's :P
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballSchemer
Very very very good reads... Now I know casey's secret's :P
yeah, he is the bellicheck of the APF world...without the cheating
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
yeah, he is the bellicheck of the APF world...without the cheating
Oh ya think so...

Haha thanks for the kind words guys! Don't forget that in practice mode you can set the plays to inside runs or outside runs if you want to try some of the concepts I wrote about... or just want to practice against run plays in general.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »