Home

Pure Genius

This is a discussion on Pure Genius within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Pure Genius

True. Generics are as good as a 70 (or better, in the case of the OL) at OL, QB, TE, LB, FS, SS, and CB. At WR they're a 35, and RB maybe a 55.

I really wish the WR weren't so bad and the OL weren't so good; team builds would be greatly diversified.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
True. Generics are as good as a 70 (or better, in the case of the OL) at OL, QB, TE, LB, FS, SS, and CB. At WR they're a 35, and RB maybe a 55.

I really wish the WR weren't so bad and the OL weren't so good; team builds would be greatly diversified.

Oddly enough, Generic TE's are far far more reliable then generic WRs.

Generic LBs, DLs, DBs, TEs, Ks, QB's are about right.

Generic WR's, Fullbacks, HB's stink on ice

Generic OLs are the single most overpowered aspect of the game.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind

That would be something, I never use Gen WR I sub in Gen TE... But ye if I had to use pics on o lineman it would change the whole game...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry
I just wanted to take this opportunity to pay homage to the APF2K8 Producers/Designers/Programmers for thinking of the gold, silver, and bronze concept.

The amount of actual thought that goes into selecting a team and being able to use football strategy and knowledge is unprecedented. This game was obviously designed for the more mature and intellectually stimulated football gamer.

It was simply brilliant to design a game that forces you to choose the type of team that you want to play with. You have to decide where your strengths and weaknesses are, and compensate when necessary.

I have constructed countless combinations of players in the attempt to assemble the ultimate team. The reality is; there is no perfect team. You can construct great teams for passing, running, pass defense or run defense, but you are not able to have an overall ultimate team. You can also counter any team that can be constructed. This is the most realistic concept that I have seen introduced into a football game. It promotes great tactical battles.

People can say that there should be more gold's, silvers or bronzes, but I personally believe that they gave us a perfect balance. They should receive some type of an award for this concept, and their ability to implement it correctly on their first attempt. I would love to see this same type of game created in the future along with graphic and game-play improvements.

This just may be the most underrated game in history. This is the only game that has held my attention for over one year, and I am still learning new things. Simply amazing!
^^^^
Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 28

The system is not perfect by any means, but for the first implementation of it, its really good. Just imagine if they were to keep building off what they have done.

They did a damned great job on this game for their first attempt on the next gen system. I didnt even play NFL 2K5 this long. I play other games, then i get the itch to play an online game of some APF.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

No kidding.

• Go to a point based systems for legends / generics
  • Go to a tiered system for abilities (think RPG'ish)
  • Add Coach bonuses (more strategy)
  • Add in a Franchise / Fictional League
  • Add in customization tools (computer based would be fine)
  • Add in more website synchronization
If they did that, in APF2K8, then we'd probably be playing AFP2K9 right now, and talking about APF2K10. The legends just weren't enough to sell the game, and the lack of offline play killed it.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
The system is not perfect by any means, but for the first implementation of it, its really good. Just imagine if they were to keep building off what they have done.
Agree wholeheartedly. Even more remarkable considering the constraints they had to work within. Although chances are slim that they will build on APF, I can only imagine what they might've accomplished with the system going forward. There were some generics in the game I actually got attached to and wouldn't want to make any changes to a team because they reset or changed.

Either way, pretty remarkable to be able to pop the game in and still watch it play. Or better yet that it's used as a psuedo-training tool for Madden 2yrs later lol. Oh well, will continue to keep my fingers crossed that they'll learn from the mistakes of 2K8 and make another game (better default uniforms and more grounded uniform customization options would've made a world of difference dammit!!!). But I can understand why they wouldn't want to

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
No kidding.

• Go to a point based systems for legends / generics
  • Go to a tiered system for abilities (think RPG'ish)
  • Add Coach bonuses (more strategy)
  • Add in a Franchise / Fictional League
  • Add in customization tools (computer based would be fine)
  • Add in more website synchronization
If they did that, in APF2K8, then we'd probably be playing AFP2K9 right now, and talking about APF2K10. The legends just weren't enough to sell the game, and the lack of offline play killed it.

I disagree. I think the lack of a license and poor gameplay reviews killed it. Sure, they could have done more customization, and it would have spawned a great hardcore community that updated rosters, made classic teams, ect. But that's what we already have. APF is a beloved game within this and many other hardcore football gaming communities, and NFL2k5 still gets roster updates for each season.

Most people could care less, because it isn't the NFL's game, and American gamers aren't going to take the time to go through the whole rigaramor to get them when Madden has them fresh out of the box.

I for one am glad APF went with the system they did because it gave me the only game I still care about two years after release.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »