MVP

OVR: 55
Clutch

"Player's performance is best in all-clutch situations and games."

So let's have a little talk about clutch. I think clutch kicks in during:

Late game situations - close games
3rd downs
Overtime

I also think it kicks in during big playoff games in leagues. I remember both Drew Pearson and D!ck Anderson played the best they played all season in the Armchair league playoffs. I don't think it's a coincidence they both have the clutch ability. Randy White had multiple sack games in the playoffs for me also during my undefeated season. Dwight Clark was also solid I believe.

Notice a trend? Many of my most important players on league winning teams were clutch, especially in the playoffs.

Clutch Players I had in season 1:

Drew Pearson,
Ricky Sanders
D!ck Anderson (I think)

Excerpt from my Season 1 League Championship summary:

"On the Offensive side of the ball Drew Pearson broke out and had easily his best game of the season when it counted most. He snagged 6 balls for 144 yards and a massive 70 yard TD score on the second offensive play of the game right after the Storm marched down the field on a 5+ minute drive. "
Season 2 clutch players:

Dwight Clark
Randy White
D!ck Anderson

For both seasons I had a QB with 4th quarter comeback (Dan Marino, Jim Hart)

If this is the case: for playoff bound teams clutch really is an especially valuable attribute. Having a player stand out when it counts the most really boosts this ability to another level.

In a broader perspective, intangibles do really seem important in the right place. Neither team was Leadership heavy(Bronze Studwell season 1, Silver Bethea season 2), but both teams had performance boosters, especially in late and tight games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Clutch

I find Clutch to be one of the most single important aspects for a position that is supposed to make 2-4 big plays a game: O-line, D-line, K/P, WR, secondary (to an extent), etc. You generally don't see it make too big of an impact in players who are around the ball very often: QB, RB, LBs, etc.

Generally, you want a DE/DT or K to make that ONE PLAY that you need, and Clutch really comes in handy in that regards.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

This is the only game I've ever played where intangibles actually matter.

Now if they could just get "clutch" to work by making the offensive player better instead of making the defender ********, I'd be thrilled .
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Anyone every tried to make a team of all Clutch players? Seems like it could be done, but it would get a little thin at the Bronze level.

I tried a team of all Leadership once, and didn't notice a big difference, which is why I don't think Leadership stacks.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

i think it also makes players less affected by adversity, like big hits and pass rushes
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »