Home

Ways to build the 34

This is a discussion on Ways to build the 34 within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Ways to build the 34

This sounds weird, but I have gotten a marked difference in penetration against the run out of the 3-4, when I switched my generic DLs to pass rush a few weeks back.

Why? Because they actually push into the backfield.

What I like to do is Gap one direction, and have one or two blitzers crashing from the backside in case of counter or if I gapped wrong.

The passrush DLs seem to get a more aggressive "push" allowing the backside blitzers to crash the backfield and seal.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #18
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

One of the reasons I never liked taking two OLBs is that when you switch to a Nickle/Dime formation you basically lose a Star player on the field. Does this bother you guys, losing a Star player when you take 2 OLBs? Or do you basically stick to the 3-4 all game long to keep the Stars on the field?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
This sounds weird, but I have gotten a marked difference in penetration against the run out of the 3-4, when I switched my generic DLs to pass rush a few weeks back.

Why? Because they actually push into the backfield.

What I like to do is Gap one direction, and have one or two blitzers crashing from the backside in case of counter or if I gapped wrong.

The passrush DLs seem to get a more aggressive "push" allowing the backside blitzers to crash the backfield and seal.
I like these guys pretty well in the 43, but I never tried them in the 34 just because of my preconceived notion that run support lineman would best mimic 34 DL.

That said, there were good 34 teams who ran with smaller penetrator types. The Niners had smaller guys @ end, the Falcons were small (though their D was not all that good), the Broncos were smaller I think.

I could see a gap-type defense working and being very disruptive, but you'd have to have the LB and S talent to pick up the mess if you gap wrong.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
One of the reasons I never liked taking two OLBs is that when you switch to a Nickle/Dime formation you basically lose a Star player on the field. Does this bother you guys, losing a Star player when you take 2 OLBs? Or do you basically stick to the 3-4 all game long to keep the Stars on the field?
If you use 2 OLB's and you want to go a nickle or dime than sub your pass rushing LB at DE. In my 3-4 scheme of the team I posted above I have both Pepper Johnson and Otis Wilson in at DE in the Dime 3-2 package and Pepper Johnson in at DE in the Nickle 3-3.

I believe everyone agrees that if your LB's have a Pass Rush Attribute ( Rip, Club, Bull Rush, Spin, Sack Master, Pass Rush Bonus ) than they are legal in at DE.

When the Seahawks would go to nickle and dime Julian Peterson would line up a DE.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 34

^^^Yup Derek Thomas would be used like this also, they'd put him at DE and you had Neil Smith and attack cat (thats what the formation was called), coming off the edge, with Dan Saliamua playing DT. Those chiefs teams had a very good pass rush.

Charles Haley was used as a hybrid DE/OLB also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 55

I've even ran variations of 4 DL dime with Kevin Greene at DE, Lloyd at the other DE, and Chad Brown at DT... twisting and fanning all day! Even though Lloyd doesn't have pass rush bonus, he rushed all the time.. not sure why he wasn't given it personally.

Either way, point of the post is those pass rusher OLB's fit pretty nicely at DE, especially in pass situations. They will get pushed around against the run but will excel against the pass.. especially in fan, twist, or mix calls where they get to use their speed advantage.

For that reason I believe selecting LB's in a 3-4 defense is easier to work with because of their versatility. If I have LB's with coverage bonus in a 4-3, you are right it does pidgeon-hole your defense into certain calls and formations. I learned this with my 70's Steelers team. How do you avoid 3 great linebackers? 4 wr.. easy.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 41

In the game where I posted I had 10 sacks with Otis Wilson he was as fast as any LB I have seen attacking Randall Cunningham. I will say this about going 4 wide against a 3-4 defense with great LB's. If you go 4 wide I will use a 3-2 defense and I play pretty well as the FS manually. The hardest people to beat is the people who take what the defense gives them. The more SIM approach is harder to beat than a lobby scrub. Why do I say that? I had 10 Sacks with Otis Wilson in my 3-4 defense because the guy would go 3 & 4 wide and leave nobody in the back field to help protect his QB. On top of that he wanted to go deep every play so I made sure Otis Wilson just teed off on him LOL.

Going 4 wide was also the reason I put 2 Gold CB's on my team as well

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »