Home

The "I'm Curious" Squad

This is a discussion on The "I'm Curious" Squad within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: The "I'm Curious" Squad

How much easier is it to force fumbles with the Ball Strip ability? What if you stack your team with players with the abilities Ball Strip, Big Hit, and Strength Bonus? Is it any easier?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Pullicin
How much easier is it to force fumbles with the Ball Strip ability? What if you stack your team with players with the abilities Ball Strip, Big Hit, and Strength Bonus? Is it any easier?

Thanks!
Fumbles are extremely rare in this game, so it's really a matter of luck. Obviously having a guy with ball strip helps, but we're still talking about a ratio of one fumble for every 10-15 games, it seems to me.

You can knock the ball out when guys are doing special moves if you have a heavy hitter and land one flush. But it's still pretty rare. I wish they would tune fumbles up just a tad. As it is, every offensive player plays like they have secure ball bonus.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:14 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Woooo baby I think this guy is THE best silver RB in the game. He actually is worth his pick, unlike some of the other RB's at that level feel.

Anyone who played me in Armchair QB's season 2 probably got a heavy dose of this guy. Anything over 10 carries and he starts branching tackles big time. He had a score in every game besides 1 and ran for 100 in nearly every game.

I think he is faster than Ottis, but Muncie is the fastest power RB at the silver level IMO.

I haven't used many silver OL like Randall Mcdaniel, Tom Mack, or that Silver OT with ridiculous abilities (bulldozer, brick wall, speed burner). I've used most all the bronzes and golds, just not a lot of silver at OL.

Tony Martin - deep threat WR. I've had trouble using him. He does make nice plays on deep balls, but isn't exceptionally fast or that great of a short route runner.

Jackie Smith Gold TE - Very good hands (soft hands at gold!). He is the 2nd most complete TE in the game behind Ditka (can't compete with bulldozer, TIM, leadership, strength). Jackie will run better routes, and has better hands. Smith can be a staple to an offense being that he's fast at TE. The guy ran track in college. More athletic than he gets credit for with his abilities and his peers.

Fred Belitnikoff - Underrated. Route god is a sweet ability, but really this guy having soft hands, deep threat, and clutch is quite a weapon himself. Pairing Fred with an able armed QB can yield very big receiving stats. He breaks the bump well, runs deep routes great, and breaks away from defenders well also. He really does go up and get the ball downfield. I prefer him to James Lofton. His toughness and intangibles make up for his lack of athleticism at times.

Russ Grimm Gold OG - I think Grimm is the best run blocker in the game, ahead of Larry Little. Russ pancakes on run plays more than he doesn't pancake. It is impressive. If a gold OL power run game is your goal, this guy is your best bet. Upside: Best run blocker in teh game - best physical ability. Downside: No leadership, stonewall, or any intangibles for that matter.

Deacon Jones Gold DE - Best DE in the game. He's the strongest, the fastest, and one of the biggest. Deacon can take over halves of the field with his sheer ability.

Lee Roy Selmon - APF's premier pass rushing DE. Loaded with moves (swim, club) he is unblockable 1 on 1 and plays in the backfield all game. Not so great against the run, but on a cover 2 scheme that needs the moneymaker stud DE - he's your man!

OJ Simpson - best blend of speed and power this game has to offer. He's 2nd in speed behind Sayers, and still has enough stamina and strength to grind out inside runs. The juice is full of talent and always scared me more than Earl in teh hands of a skilled runner.

Mike Singletary - I think one of the best Bear or 4-3 MLB's in the game. He is right there with Lambert. Lambert can survive without DL help because of his unparalleled block shedding ability. Mike doesn't have that. What Mike has instead is superior tackling skills and superior pursuit. When left unblocked, Singletary is the most solid ILB in the game in pursuit. He doesn't miss tackles, he gets there fast. The kind of guy you want when you have 2 bronze DT's.

Derrick Thomas - Best pass rushing OLB (obviously). He's the game's premier 3-4 rush OLB. The best way to counter this guy is run right at him. Get him in pursuit and much like Singletary... he WILL get there. He also possesses a LEGITIMATE ball strip threat with the unmatched speed he rushes the QB with. Fun guy to build a defense around. Has the best physical tools of any OLB in the game without question.

Rod Woodson - Put him in a zone, let him hawk balls and it's all gravy. I think he has the best ball-in-air skills in the game. I've seen him run clear across the field to snatch balls away from players. He lacks man coverage skills. He possesses awesome ball skills, a return bonus, leadership, and crushes the run. Works great in zone heavy schemes (ALA blitzburgh 3-4 zone blitz system)

Alright... I'll talk about more some other time!
Jackie Smith might be the best all-around tight end in the game because he’s a fantastic route runner (better than Ditka) and blocker (about as good as Ditka). Smith is a matchup nightmare and can stretch the field while Ditka is better at making tough catches over the middle especially on slant routes.

Last edited by topdowninvestor2023; 02-25-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:07 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Woooo baby I think this guy is THE best silver RB in the game. He actually is worth his pick, unlike some of the other RB's at that level feel.

Anyone who played me in Armchair QB's season 2 probably got a heavy dose of this guy. Anything over 10 carries and he starts branching tackles big time. He had a score in every game besides 1 and ran for 100 in nearly every game.

I think he is faster than Ottis, but Muncie is the fastest power RB at the silver level IMO.

I haven't used many silver OL like Randall Mcdaniel, Tom Mack, or that Silver OT with ridiculous abilities (bulldozer, brick wall, speed burner). I've used most all the bronzes and golds, just not a lot of silver at OL.

Tony Martin - deep threat WR. I've had trouble using him. He does make nice plays on deep balls, but isn't exceptionally fast or that great of a short route runner.

Jackie Smith Gold TE - Very good hands (soft hands at gold!). He is the 2nd most complete TE in the game behind Ditka (can't compete with bulldozer, TIM, leadership, strength). Jackie will run better routes, and has better hands. Smith can be a staple to an offense being that he's fast at TE. The guy ran track in college. More athletic than he gets credit for with his abilities and his peers.

Fred Belitnikoff - Underrated. Route god is a sweet ability, but really this guy having soft hands, deep threat, and clutch is quite a weapon himself. Pairing Fred with an able armed QB can yield very big receiving stats. He breaks the bump well, runs deep routes great, and breaks away from defenders well also. He really does go up and get the ball downfield. I prefer him to James Lofton. His toughness and intangibles make up for his lack of athleticism at times.

Russ Grimm Gold OG - I think Grimm is the best run blocker in the game, ahead of Larry Little. Russ pancakes on run plays more than he doesn't pancake. It is impressive. If a gold OL power run game is your goal, this guy is your best bet. Upside: Best run blocker in teh game - best physical ability. Downside: No leadership, stonewall, or any intangibles for that matter.

Deacon Jones Gold DE - Best DE in the game. He's the strongest, the fastest, and one of the biggest. Deacon can take over halves of the field with his sheer ability.

Lee Roy Selmon - APF's premier pass rushing DE. Loaded with moves (swim, club) he is unblockable 1 on 1 and plays in the backfield all game. Not so great against the run, but on a cover 2 scheme that needs the moneymaker stud DE - he's your man!

OJ Simpson - best blend of speed and power this game has to offer. He's 2nd in speed behind Sayers, and still has enough stamina and strength to grind out inside runs. The juice is full of talent and always scared me more than Earl in teh hands of a skilled runner.

Mike Singletary - I think one of the best Bear or 4-3 MLB's in the game. He is right there with Lambert. Lambert can survive without DL help because of his unparalleled block shedding ability. Mike doesn't have that. What Mike has instead is superior tackling skills and superior pursuit. When left unblocked, Singletary is the most solid ILB in the game in pursuit. He doesn't miss tackles, he gets there fast. The kind of guy you want when you have 2 bronze DT's.

Derrick Thomas - Best pass rushing OLB (obviously). He's the game's premier 3-4 rush OLB. The best way to counter this guy is run right at him. Get him in pursuit and much like Singletary... he WILL get there. He also possesses a LEGITIMATE ball strip threat with the unmatched speed he rushes the QB with. Fun guy to build a defense around. Has the best physical tools of any OLB in the game without question.

Rod Woodson - Put him in a zone, let him hawk balls and it's all gravy. I think he has the best ball-in-air skills in the game. I've seen him run clear across the field to snatch balls away from players. He lacks man coverage skills. He possesses awesome ball skills, a return bonus, leadership, and crushes the run. Works great in zone heavy schemes (ALA blitzburgh 3-4 zone blitz system)

Alright... I'll talk about more some other time!
Ironically Derrick Thomas is better used in the game as a 4-3/Nickel 4-2-5 outside linebacker than as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Get Lem Barney and Terry McDaniel so you can blitz a lot without getting burned and get Elvin Bethea and sub him in as a 3-technique DT in a 4-3/Nickel 4-2-5. Bethea along with Thomas will rack up sacks like crazy in a Nickel 4-2-5.

The problem with using Thomas as a 3-4 outside linebacker is that in the game, 3-4 outside linebackers don't have any moves or the leverage that they should so Thomas usually just gets stuck to the offensive tackle or tries to circle around the tackle (which takes forever) when they block him.

Thomas will actually get sacks as an outside linebacker in a Nickel 4-2-5 because he has a four man line in front of him and often times he will be untouched and the times he is not untouched is usually when Bethea gets free. Not only that, but since there is a four man front in a 4-3/Nickel 4-2-5, it also frees up Thomas to use his speed to make stops in the running game. On any team that I use Thomas in this manner he's always Defensive Player of the Year. Another thing that will work is in passing situations, sub Thomas in as a LDE in a Nickel 3-3-5 with Bethea as the RDE and they'll rack up sacks together. Using Thomas as a LDE works because since his hand is in the dirt, he has the leverage to blow past the tackle and since he's matched up with the right tackle (who is the inferior tackle) it makes it easier for Thomas to beat him.

Last edited by topdowninvestor2023; 03-03-2024 at 03:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »