Home

2k Buyout/License

This is a discussion on 2k Buyout/License within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: 2k Buyout/License

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
All this excitement over Madden 10 has got me thinking about how much of the effort could have been saved in an ideal world if Madden would have just bought the APF team and package and developed an alternative game with the NFL license. They would have saved a lot of the time they spent re-inventing the wheel, and could have used some of the logic/team talent as borrowed for Madden. The game could either be an alternative to Madden, as the 2k games always used to be, or a have a separate focus (ie maybe a special playoffs game released in December, or a game released around the draft to feature the new class). Another way to accomplish the same thing would be to sublease the NFL license to 2k for a hefty price tag. For various reasons, this would be less profitable to EA, so let's stick with the first option of just buying out the engine.

A big part of me cringes at the thought of 2k and Take Two losing this engine, but think about it from a practical standpoint. EA could get rid off all the people who denigrate it year in and year out by allowing for its existence, and capitalizing on its sales. It would be the lexus to its Toyota, the Mobil to its Exxon. And with the same team working on it, we'd get treated to Nfl 2k11.

Who do you think would object more to this arrangement, 2k or EA?
There could never be an arrangement cause EA is the devil and whatever they touch, they flick it up. I really can't stand EA cause they took away one of my favorite series of all time! That shigity pisses me off and it will forever piss me off. Especially when Madden is straight bootylicious compared to the NFL 2K series. And it's always been this way since back in the day. The only series I actually like was Fight Night and they jacked the controls up this year. I also really enjoyed Road Rash, but they never brought that to next-gen.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: 2k Buyout/License

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
I'm not sure it's a matter of Madden devs lacking talent. Articles from a couple years back indicated that EA dev teams were some of the most overworked and poorly compensated teams within the industry, and that they had a pretty high turnover rate. They'd hire cheap, fresh out of school programmers and devs. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the problems with Madden from year to year are more about a lack of consistency in the team make up and the tough deadlines they have to meet. I want to believe that the devs do everything in their power to create an amazing game, and have the potential to make some monumental strides, but the corporate side of EA often makes it tough for this to become a reality...imo.

I think a buyout would be difficult, and if it ever did happen, EA would just buy it so 2k couldn't use it. I don't see EA ever absorbing and utilizing Visual Concepts or its assets. Let's not forget that Visual Concepts used to develop Madden back in the day but EA and VC had a major falling out. Even though there likely aren't very many from either party still around with the respective companies, I think there's just too much history and bad blood for either side to ever do anything that remotely resembles cooperation or compromise. I do agree with your original post that it would likely be best for consumers and I'd gladly welcome it, but I think both sides are likely too stubborn to let it ever happen.

You hit it right on the head, and also when you are over worked in any industry, you lose focus and you will not do as good whatever you do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »