Home

I recently purchased a used copy of APF 2k8 off of Ebay.

This is a discussion on I recently purchased a used copy of APF 2k8 off of Ebay. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: I recently purchased a used copy of APF 2k8 off of Ebay.

I'm going to use this as my thoughts on APF2k8. I just got the game in July, and I've played it on and off. But recently, I've been completely addicted. This game is straight up gold.

One of my favorite parts, and I actually posted this earlier in this thread, is the blocking. The blockers are intelligent! I actually saw a blocker not engage a player because I was going to blow right by him and instead get downfield and take out a would-be tackler. I gained a few extra yards before being piled on by the rest of the defenders.

Visually, the game just looks like football. I think the graphics are top notch and I'm not even playing on an HDTV (standard def here... sucks about the cut off though). But the animations have always been 2k's strong point and it's no different here. In fact, it's the best it has ever been. It just looks so real, I can't get over it.

It's a drag there's no NFL license, but the Legends open up new doors that a game with the NFL license doesn't have. Being such a big Tecmo Super Bowl guy, the Legends are right up my alley.

I've finally got the kicking game under control (my timing was way off... a little practice mode kicking and I realized I just didn't know the start/end points) too. What I love is, kicks and punts are able to be blocked. I've had one or two of mine blocked, and I've blocked one or two myself. Also, the slipping during dropbacks in rain or snow conditions is great. It's details like that.

I'm amazed by this game every time I play it. Absolutely love it and will continue to play down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Rookie

Triathlete_201's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I'm amazed by this game every time I play it. Absolutely love it and will continue to play down the road.
Same here. I've been playing it since the day it was released and the more I play it, the more I'm enjoying it. I'm still hearing some new commentary and seeing new animations. Hands down, the best video game I've ever owned.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #19
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by treee
I just got the game and I have a gold guard and Barry Sanders and I kept thinking "Why is Barry so slow?" until I realized the pursiut angles in this game are 100 times better than madden. This game has a really steep learning curve though.
I think this is the key aspect surrounding APF.... this learning curve is what make this game soooo extraordinary.... I'm still seeing new animations like never before... and that's no lie....

Old 09-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

The game will take some getting used to especially if you have played nothing but Madden. That is why a lot of fanboys and casuals say 2k sucks just because they don't know the controls and its actually harder and more realistic.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Man, I've been experimenting trying to get realistic results. I'm mostly on default stuff now, moreso just seeing what time I should play with. I went with 12 minutes.

In my first game, the score was high. I believe it was something like 21-17 going into the half. I think I quit at the half because I had other stuff to do. But then my next game was completely different. The game was actually, get this, 6-5 in favor of my team into the 4th quarter. I was up by that same score as I punted with under 2 minutes left to John Mackey and his team.

Mistake.

Mackey took it to the house, they coverted the two point conversion to make it 13-6 and I couldn't get the ball into the endzone with so little time of my own. Absolutely incredible game.

This game is completely awesome. I recently got to play Madden 10 and I like that game as well, but this game is still the total package to me, at least on the field. It's so frustrating that they didn't let you customize it to be an NFL replica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #22
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14

I have had this game since release but have hardly the time to play.
I'll invest some time for both off and online. FORMULA316 is my tag.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #23
Banned

IRISHFBFAN1's Arena

OVR: 8

I bought the game last night at gamestop because I have heard so much about it. It really is neat. I have a question, and nobody ever really answered my question which I posed when talking about nfl 2k5.

Where can you take a look at all the playbooks? different styles both offensively and defensively.

Why is there not a lot of strategy talk like in MADDEN, you know, running cornerstrike out of GUN DOUBLES vs cov 2. Strategy guides for playbooks.

All I hear is bickering between the two fan groups. I like both, but with all pro 2k8 I would like to browse the playbooks, listen and talk about some strategy, like they do with MADDEN.

Again, this game is sweet, but people want to talk playbooks, and strategy, and strategy guides, what offense do you run, what defense do you employ, things like that. Is there a place for this?
I want toplay this game, but I like to go into the game with my offense and defense under my belt. I dont want to just go through the books and pick the first play I see. I like to work onschemes.

Where is the scheme talk in this game, thats where I WANT TO BE, because no doubt, this game is really nice.

can anyone help, and lead me in the right direction? thanks guysin advance! NO ***** OF EITHER GAME HERE, JUST LOVE FOOTBALL, and I love the strategy and scheming that goes with these games.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHFBFAN1
I bought the game last night at gamestop because I have heard so much about it. It really is neat. I have a question, and nobody ever really answered my question which I posed when talking about nfl 2k5.

Where can you take a look at all the playbooks? different styles both offensively and defensively.

Why is there not a lot of strategy talk like in MADDEN, you know, running cornerstrike out of GUN DOUBLES vs cov 2. Strategy guides for playbooks.

All I hear is bickering between the two fan groups. I like both, but with all pro 2k8 I would like to browse the playbooks, listen and talk about some strategy, like they do with MADDEN.

Again, this game is sweet, but people want to talk playbooks, and strategy, and strategy guides, what offense do you run, what defense do you employ, things like that. Is there a place for this?
I want toplay this game, but I like to go into the game with my offense and defense under my belt. I dont want to just go through the books and pick the first play I see. I like to work onschemes.

Where is the scheme talk in this game, thats where I WANT TO BE, because no doubt, this game is really nice.

can anyone help, and lead me in the right direction? thanks guysin advance! NO ***** OF EITHER GAME HERE, JUST LOVE FOOTBALL, and I love the strategy and scheming that goes with these games.
1 use the search feature. The guys here have talked plenty of stategy and there arent really any playbooks you create your own. Honestly, you dont see the same talk as madden as its a much different game. You dont rely on certin plays out of certin formations to be effective, you take what the d gives you. This isnt really a game where people are all using the same plays. Just search up the old threads then you will see they talk FAR MORE IN DEPTH than any madden game will. They are talking football strategy not apf strategy and thats what works. Of course its not perfect and there are some exploits and mistakes with the ai as with anygame.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »