Home

Best/Favorite way to use _______ Ability

This is a discussion on Best/Favorite way to use _______ Ability within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Best/Favorite way to use _______ Ability

First I was going to ask how to use the Run Reader ability to its fullest. Then I thought it would be pretty cool if we shared the way we use or set up using an ability. I will share what I know:

Branching tackles: Easing up on the left stick (pretty much useful for all actions in the game) and taping A upon impact, not only afterwards, will make for broken tackles that are not of the red-flashing type. Tacklers will bounce off in a variety of ways, depending on your position, speed, and if your cutting back. Control of the Left stick is huge on if it will be successful.

Bull Rush: Tapping A is the only way ive had great success with bullrush. Tapping A upon impact also seems to be key. Charging and pressing A hasnt worked well for me.

Swim Move: I like to set this up by going outside and then upon impact swimming inside. Basically using outside inside technique or visa versa. Also, the more in control you are (control of the Left stick, not jamming it) going into engagement, the higher the success rate for any DLine move.

Ankle Breaker: I havent had any extra success charging up (someone tell me if there is an advantage). I do love how ankle breakers juke differently in general. The basics for juking is to juke towards the direction the defender is coming from (from the upper left, you juke left. If coming from the right, you juke right). If your good at using the right stick, juking out of the right stick animations works amazingly well. Also, if your cutting back/changing directions, and u can tell its not gonna work, you can juke out of it, which increases chance of escaping by missed tackle or branching out of it.

Magic Feet: Its easier with those who have the ability, but will for for any reciever. Those with Magic feet ability will often make sideline catches without doing the proper controls, which is a nice bonus. Catching is similar to maximum passing; once you press the catch button, you can control it by pressing a direction. For the sideline catch, you let go of the left stick, press catching and away from the sideline. As will all actions, it is usually more successful and more precise if you have greater control over the left stick and dont jam it during a catch (unless you mean to to fully extend a direction).

Cutback Ability: this is just a little tip, and can be used with any running back. If you change directions behind a blocker, the running backs will always do an awesome cut/change of direction.

Thats all I've got right now. Abilities I would like to know how to use better are Run Reader and all Tackling abilities (wrap up, Big Hit, hitting high and low, ect.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Best/Favorite way to use _______ Ability

Big Hit: Never use it when coming in from an angle.

Works best when coming straight oin to a ball carrier or receiver, and in traffic.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Big Hit: Never use it when coming in from an angle.

Works best when coming straight oin to a ball carrier or receiver, and in traffic.
Know anything about pressing up on the analog stick to tackle?

I know its for going High, but ive also had success with using it to take out legs, more so than pressing down on the tackle stick.

Using the right stick to tackle is the hardest thing for me. I think its more about putting myself in good position, easing up on the left stick, its hard to stay calm while in pursuit.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Reach tackle- taking an angle that forces the ball carrier inside and reaching towards the inside. If he goes outside he's nailed, inside he's wrapped up.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 55

Reach Tackle is a great way to manipulate the blocker on you. If you are filling a gap and know the RB's intended direction you can reach tackle to that direction to move the blocker and force the RB to run into a lineman and lose momentum. Overall reach tackling with a blocker on you to TACKLE appears kind of inconsistent. DL with reach tackle usually do a better job of using it to take down ballcarriers. It is also a great way to account for overpursuit with good tackling LB's. Strong RB's will still oftentimes break through your reaching arm tackle, but it is better than not touching them at all.

Big hit is great for changing momentum, fatigue and for the obvious reasons of stopping any YAC and forcing fumbles. In situations where the ballcarrier has to gather himself - such as after a catch or making a cut upfield seems to be the best time to go for a big shot. In the open field, or when hitting a player running full speed from the side are really bad times to try the big hit as it will almost certainly fail.

High/Low tackles are still really underused by me. I'm guessing that they just increase the probability of a tackle depending on the style of runner faced. Power = low is better. Finesse = high is better. Might be move dependent also. Power Moves = low. Finesse moves = high. With that knowledge you could decide if your opponent ONLY shoulder charges that low tackling all game is a good idea. If he just spins all day maybe use high tackles. Maybe that ties in with forcing fumbles. I don't know.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »