Home

Run Reader

This is a discussion on Run Reader within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Run Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Agreed. That's why I was so into that game. Every matchup had a different feel because you never knew exactly how your guys would play. You had an idea, but it was NEVER automatic... just like real life.
I really really love this statement...!!!!!you've hit it dude... I've played this game almost as many times as I've played 2K5.... the plain fact is: most (APF) games don't play the same.... I still for the life of me can't find any money plays... as (like you said) it is in real life.... in the 4th quarter you find yourself running the ball b/c you know you most likely won't get that 3rd down conversion to finish the game off.... as it should be....

Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
I really really love this statement...!!!!!you've hit it dude... I've played this game almost as many times as I've played 2K5.... the plain fact is: most (APF) games don't play the same.... I still for the life of me can't find any money plays... as (like you said) it is in real life.... in the 4th quarter you find yourself running the ball b/c you know you most likely won't get that 3rd down conversion to finish the game off.... as it should be....
Yes sir! This game feels more alive than any video game I've ever played. You can actually feel the momentum shift within the game from small events then culminating with large ones. For example, if you make a great play to shed a block and get a tackle for a loss.. the game gives you momentum. A few smaller, solid plays like that often lead up to a big interception, sack, or forced fumble. It's awesome.

They found out how to give each individual game its own character, meaning some games even with a gold RB you just can't get the run going against a good D. In other games you can rip off 200 yards. I think one of the biggest knocks on average players is that they are inconsistent. They are capable of big plays at times, but can't do it often. Generics capture this well. They are capable of blocking a defense perfectly for a big run, but won't do it consistently at all. Legends are more consistent.

Anyway, glad someone else sees this out there. I played APF more than I played any video game, ever.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 09-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
I really really love this statement...!!!!!you've hit it dude... I've played this game almost as many times as I've played 2K5.... the plain fact is: most (APF) games don't play the same.... I still for the life of me can't find any money plays... as (like you said)it is in real life.... in the 4th quarter you find yourself running the ball b/c you know you most likely won't get that 3rd down conversion to finish the game off.... as it should be....
Try the FADE and use a 4th qtr comeback player with clutch=Automatic 4th qtr TD!!It doesnt matter who the DB is he will get beat for a TD But I digress.You are correct the game outside of a few "majical" abilities plays great.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Try the FADE and use a 4th qtr comeback player with clutch=Automatic 4th qtr TD!!It doesnt matter who the DB is he will get beat for a TD But I digress.You are correct the game outside of a few "majical" abilities plays great.
I know what you mean... however, the sliders in this game are pretty accurate IMO.... from the start with this game and as time went on, I've played with ever increasing slider difficulty... as it stands I have yet to go 19-0.... I dare say to anyone with this game it's impossible to have a zero loss record with the sliders on high...

but to your point... the fade does work, with me it seems the plays I know are good for a 1st down or TD only can be used no more than twice a game (13min qrts)..... this is the beauty of this game... If I use the fade once in a game, I may or maynot work if I try to go back to it....

I recall LBrule speaking too the quick-outs in this game being impossible to stop... that may be for the 1st two or three times its run... but with the vast array of defensive plays this game has to offer stopping the quick out is only a matter of short zones... anyone must know that a cheeser has only a limited grasp of play-calling acumen beyond his/her cheese play... after you shut it down they'll usually quit....

so the fade dose work but there are some great D plays to stop it....

Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
I know what you mean... however, the sliders in this game are pretty accurate IMO.... from the start with this game and as time went on, I've played with ever increasing slider difficulty... as it stands I have yet to go 19-0.... I dare say to anyone with this game it's impossible to have a zero loss record with the sliders on high...

but to your point... the fade does work, with me it seems the plays I know are good for a 1st down or TD only can be used no more than twice a game (13min qrts)..... this is the beauty of this game... If I use the fade once in a game, I may or maynot work if I try to go back to it....

I recall LBrule speaking too the quick-outs in this game being impossible to stop... that may be for the 1st two or three times its run... but with the vast array of defensive plays this game has to offer stopping the quick out is only a matter of short zones... anyone must know that a cheeser has only a limited grasp of play-calling acumen beyond his/her cheese play... after you shut it down they'll usually quit....

so the fade dose work but there are some great D plays to stop it....
Play a low zone against the out and a savvy vet will hit you on a deep ball. Chess match as always.

I agree with everything NY KIA has said in this thread.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
This is what did me in. I really love 2k's online leagues. I actually read the stats on the website all the time. Once they took the league stuff away I really had no reason to keep playing. I hadn't played a lobby game in months.
What he said. 2K really did everything they could to kill this game and the community. Dang shame.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
but with the vast array of defensive plays this game has to offer stopping the quick out is only a matter of short zones... .

About the "vast array" of defensive plays.

There are a few core plays in each set that are reliable.

Most of them are utterly useless, and telegraphed (DL's lining up in a stand up position, pre snap, for example.)

just about everyone plays 2 or 3 variations of cover 2, 3 or 4, all game.

Heaven forbid you play press man coverage.

You'll be treated to a host of royal whining, since people will no longer have free release to run their precious fade, post, out route combos.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
About the "vast array" of defensive plays.

There are a few core plays in each set that are reliable.

Most of them are utterly useless, and telegraphed (DL's lining up in a stand up position, pre snap, for example.)

just about everyone plays 2 or 3 variations of cover 2, 3 or 4, all game.

Heaven forbid you play press man coverage.

You'll be treated to a host of royal whining, since people will no longer have free release to run their precious fade, post, out route combos.
Actually this was one of the things I would say I was so thoroughly disappointed with in the game. I wanted much better defensive playbooks. Instead we got 90% of 2k5 defensive playbook. No 2-4 Nickel, No other exotic nickel and dime sets; not a lot of 8 man front shifts and not a great deal of zone dogs that I was looking for. If they would have blown out the defensive playbooks I would still be playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »