Home

2k fans please read this

This is a discussion on 2k fans please read this within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: 2k fans please read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_razzamataz
This isn't about any entity's rights to sell their licenses. It's about EA buying up ALL of the major licenses in football. You're all absolutely right in that the NCAA, AFL, and NFL can sell to whoever they want to, but that's not what this lawsuit is about. The fact that EA actively pursued the NCAA football and AFL licenses right after the NFL offered them exclusivity (presumably to corner the football videogame market) is what is going to be challenged.

This is posted in almost EVERY thread concerning the EA-NFL deal yet NOBODY ever seems to see or understand it. It's not that complicated.
But they don't have the football market cornered. 2k is free to release a football game whenever they want. Just not a NFL, NCAA, or AFL football game. 2k could buy the rights to the UFL, or the Women's Professional Football League, but they don't.

Just because EA bought the most profitable licenses doesn't mean anything's stopping 2k from releasing a football game.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
Rookie

capn_razzamataz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
But they don't have the football market cornered. 2k is free to release a football game whenever they want. Just not a NFL, NCAA, or AFL football game. 2k could buy the rights to the UFL, or the Women's Professional Football League, but they don't.

Just because EA bought the most profitable licenses doesn't mean anything's stopping 2k from releasing a football game.
That's correct. But the lawsuit is arguing that EA owning all of these licenses gives them them an unfair advantage and thus creating an "anticompetitive" environment.

Not saying that's what I believe, that's just what the complainants are arguing.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #11
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
this isnt going to change anything the NFL has the right to give its license to whoever it wants.
True, but they are a recognized monopoly, and due to the uniqueness of their situation they are not allowed to create other monopolies. It all depends on how narrow the judge draws the line for the monopoly definition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
True, but they are a recognized monopoly, and due to the uniqueness of their situation they are not allowed to create other monopolies. It all depends on how narrow the judge draws the line for the monopoly definition.
I'm not totally clear on laws, but i'm pretty sure you can't monopolize a genre of video games. You can monopolize video games in general, but you can't monopolize a genre.

And besides, how are they monopolizing the football genre when any other company can release a football game if they want?
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

will just have to see what happens in January 10 2010
Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
CQI
Rookie

OVR: 3

2K should take a cue from Blitz and create an in depth fictitious league. I want to know the history of what came before what I'm playing (especially if I can't readily look it up). And with the customization 2K allows (better logos might help), I enjoy creating original stuff (except for XFL teams) rather than NFL knock offs. People always say that gameplay is most important (but I guess they prefer licenses over it).
Old 11-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
I'm not totally clear on laws, but i'm pretty sure you can't monopolize a genre of video games. You can monopolize video games in general, but you can't monopolize a genre.

And besides, how are they monopolizing the football genre when any other company can release a football game if they want?
Just 'because' you can release a football game doesn't keep it from being a monopoly. The share of the market dictates that, and the NFL license ensures a monopoly of the football market.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

so basically.

-The NFL is considered a monopoly

-Giving their rights up to EA makes EA a monopoly too since others are allowed to make football games, but only EA is allowed to make a football game with NFL

So they are looking at it as if the NFL created a monopoly by restricting the license to just EA. Since I am a 2k fanboy, this will be nice if EA loses. Unlikely, but if they do does anyone want to buy me a house in Northern California?

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »