Home

This game is so freaking frustrating

This is a discussion on This game is so freaking frustrating within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #25
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: This game is so freaking frustrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
These are supposed to be "professional" football players, that is entirely too much "momentum." You will never see a college back (let alone NFL) who can't get in and out of a cut. It's also not related to size/agility because Sayers and Sanders are the worst two to force these animations.
I think what you are seeing is the effect of the slow speed. Put it no fast speed (which is closer to normal really), and you'll see it looks more realistic.

Quote:
They should never stop moving. If they can't make the cut sharp, it should be a slower, rounded cut. The steps are just slow, it's a slow animation. They should lose speed, and I like that they plant their feet, but thr idea that it's going to take a legit profesional/college RB more than a split second to plant and go is ridiculous.
If you want a rounded move, then it's up to you to make it. Either slow down your run, or make less of a cut.

Quote:
Is this a joke? Are you actually defending this?
I personally don't see anything wrong with it. We're already playing multiple positions on offense (QB, FB/HB, WR/TE). It allows the players to keep with the runner. Is it 'sim', probably not, but I personally like it.

Quote:
I'm positive, because once you posted about controlling blockers behind the LoS I went and tested it. It's a logic issue. Fire it up, run against a 4-3 team. Use a variety of formations (including TE/Wing). Run the zone, strech and Power O plays. Watch the OLB get ignored. Play it on legend for a while just to be safe.
Weird. Power-O players have problems out of certain formations, but the stretches are generally money on most formations (all the ones I used anyhow).

Quote:
Besides the obvious point (It's ridiculous I can't throw out patterns, ala Madden 2010), I can't stop the AI from throwing them at my CPU defenders.
Sounds like some good practice for learning how to manually cover them.

Quote:
I'm not out of position. I'm in perfect position. I put my head right across the defenders chest. I crossed his path perfectly. No, I haven't tried reach tackling yet, only because I haven't fired the game up in a while.
You put your head down, go right across his chest, and miss the tackle? That doesn't make sense. I thought you were missing the tackle? Can you record the animation/issue for us?

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's how you tackle in life. You get on an interception course, get your head in front and wrap up. In APF that gets you a whiff...as you run full speed past them. You can't tweak the angle once your are close (break down, like in real football) without getting a spazoid animation.
If you're missing tackles Sven, then you're just missing them. I mean, I've missed some too, but I can usually look at the replay and see that I didn't get the path quite right.

Quote:
Either tone down the (too heavy) momentum so we can adjust our path (ie, breakdown) just before contact, or trigger animations better.
I don't think the momentum is too heavy. It just appears that way due to the slower game speed. Like I said previously, try the game on faster speed, and you'll see it's far more like 2K5.

Quote:
IThere is no reason I shoud have to learn to play "All Pro Football" (IE, control my lineman, drop the QB, change a proper pursuit angle). It should be intuitive, fun and realistic. APF, at times, isn't that. It's too bad we didnt get APF 2k9++ so they can fix those issues. As it stands, it's an extremely frustrating game, because while the gameplay can be perfect on one play, the lack of user control (and, the expected glitches with every game) really hurt it.
Definitely has some problems, and I finally quit playing online due to the lack of league servers, and the problems with the wide side of the field. Seems that you had to spend 80% of the game defending it just in case (not even because someone was trying to exploit it).

I haven't found most of the issues you are finding in the game however. Momentum feels realistic (cept on the QB), learned to play every position pretty quick, and have no problems tackling except for the occasional miss (my fault not the game). As for learning to play, not sure how old you are, I'm old, and spent nearly 20+ years playing games with little to no momentum. APF2K8 was the first game to really take football to the next level with momentum, acceleration, deceleration, and the footwork to support it. Now, 3 years later we see BackBreaker and even Madden trying to follow suit. So while it may not be perfect, they must have done something right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 34

Sven is right on about the LB play..especially the inside backer play.

Ive been playing online leagues for this game since its release, and in every league, almost all of the top 10 tacklers are Safeties, and OLBs
Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #27
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Sven is right on about the LB play..especially the inside backer play.

Ive been playing online leagues for this game since its release, and in every league, almost all of the top 10 tacklers are Safeties, and OLBs
I bet those are the positions the guys are playing, meaning they are user controlled. I typically play the ILB or the safety myself. Rarely an OLB.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 4

Having tight control of your men has never been a strong point of 2k games in general...it's always been my biggest gripe and greatest source of frustration. Next Gen Madden is the same, the player you're controlling just isn't responsive to user input (button pushes). The litmus test for me is can I switch men on a passed ball and jump and bat the ball down with the guy I switched to??? If I can do that, the control is where it needs to be..last gen EA football games are the last games where that is possible.

2k does some great things, but the problem mentioned above is the reason I don't play 2k games. The Hoops is the same way..it's simply not fluid and it's been that way since day one with 2k games.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #29
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

I have a question for people who play this and not Madden, why??

this game has so many flaws, but everybody over looks them, but in Madden they get Broken down so intently, that it makes me sick. I have played APF since the game came out so I know about all of its warts, but this game so many game killers, and people still defend it with their life, why????
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #30
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSILK
I have a question for people who play this and not Madden, why??

this game has so many flaws, but everybody over looks them, but in Madden they get Broken down so intently, that it makes me sick. I have played APF since the game came out so I know about all of its warts, but this game so many game killers, and people still defend it with their life, why????
because people play all pro football less... i'm willing to bet that most people on here APF is not their main game... but when you go out and spend 60 bucks on the brand new madden... you expect greatness, add to that that APF is 2 years old and some of the flaws are forgiven but the fact is that the games passing, tackling animations and catching animations are flat out better then a game made 2 years afterwards... the rest can probably be debated but having played both games i feel pretty strongly that APF is without a doubt better in those areas. for a game i bought for 3 bucks i'm pretty forgiving on the lesser aspects of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »