Home

FlyingFinn's APF2K8 Editor? What happened?

This is a discussion on FlyingFinn's APF2K8 Editor? What happened? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #233
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: FlyingFinn's APF2K8 Editor? What happened?

Looks like a Job for Finn...
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #234
Banned

OVR: 5

Not sure about the PS3 roster, but the 360 roster has the Names in different areas of the file.

If you use a free Hex editor program called HxD, you can see the letters on the right side as shown in my previous reply to this thread.

I'm working on a name editor in C# because Finn's editor left that out and I would like to easily updates names without having to do it in a Hex editor manually.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #235
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Yes, I have HxD and am editing the Xbox 360 version.

What is the offset where you're seeing the player names?

I'm familiar with the offset 00208730, which is where some (but not all) of the legends names are stored, along with those players' team history. However, if you edit those names inside HxD, the play-by-play names won't work in game. It will only announce by jersey number.

Plus you run into the issue where any replacement name you want to use has to be under the existing character limit for that slot or it will break the file.

Last edited by jyoung; 09-19-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #236
Banned

Well, the code should take care of setting the correct hex values so the names are pronounced correctly during PBP.

In terms of the size limit per slot, I can always lock down those cells to that limit and then just rearrange players on a team to fit those widths.

Good information to know. I'm down to share this once I'm done.

Any help would accelerate the process of course.

My dream is to recreate the APF editor and add things like teams, HOF player art, and show real faces so you can see what type of person you are applying your player to. (ex. seeing long blonde hair on Jarius Byrd doesn't look so hot! )
Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #237
Rookie

ceejay314's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javo007
Well, the code should take care of setting the correct hex values so the names are pronounced correctly during PBP.

In terms of the size limit per slot, I can always lock down those cells to that limit and then just rearrange players on a team to fit those widths.

Good information to know. I'm down to share this once I'm done.

Any help would accelerate the process of course.

My dream is to recreate the APF editor and add things like teams, HOF player art, and show real faces so you can see what type of person you are applying your player to. (ex. seeing long blonde hair on Jarius Byrd doesn't look so hot! )
Hey guys, if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I wish to make rosters (accurately) and provide unis accurately as possible as well. I am willing to take the time to do so as I love authentic football simulation. I have just reacquired this game but still don't understand the intricacies of saving rosters in season to create multiple teams, and where it might be plan English for some I am a visual learner, the examples on YouTube do show enough for me to get it at this point. So in conclusion if there is anything I can do to help you alls efforts in recreating this game I'm more than willing to put the man hours in.

Thanks,

CeeJay
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #238
Rookie

OVR: 0

Javo,
Will this editor be for 360 or PS3?
I PRAYING Ps3...
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #239
Banned

I'm working on a 360 version of the editor in between my downtime.

I could use some help to better understand the hex roster/season files because the name offsets (from what Finn told me) are hidden in the player attributes sections, but I can't seem to locate them.

If anyone knows where the player names are hidden in the player stats, then please share as it will make my life easier.

On a second note, looks like the names can't be edited beyond their original lengths per slot. This will make the editor a little more complex, but I think I can handle it.

Well if anyone can shed some light on the names, I can keep moving.

Thanks,

Javo
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #240
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

You can find some of the legend player names starting at offset 00208730. There, they are easily visible in the right column.

But like you said, if you choose to edit there, you can't exceed the existing character limit or it will break the file.

Also, when you edit that way, the play-by-play name resets to jersey number only.

I have never been able to decipher where in the actual "DNA" of a player his name code is hidden. I do know that the name isn't just written in plain hex code.

For example, "Herman Moore" would be "48 00 65 00 72 00 6D 00 61 00 6E 00 20 4D 00 6F 00 6F 00 72 00 65" in hex code. But if you look at legend Herman Moore as he appears when assigned to a created team, there's nothing resembling that sequence anywhere in his "DNA":

Spoiler

I would imagine the name is likely to be a two byte sequence, one byte for first name, one byte for last. But I just can't figure out where it is in the "DNA."

Flying Finn told me that play by play names are bytes 8 and 9 of the "DNA," if that helps any. I highlighted where that would be in Herman Moore's sample above.

Also, I can tell you with certainty that everything color-coded in this picture is NOT the player's name:

Spoiler

peach = facemask type
yellow = tier
red = birth year
fuchsia = uniform number
gray = abilities
aqua = position
blue = player type (legend, CAP, generic)
green = facial data
salmon = rating

Last edited by jyoung; 09-23-2013 at 09:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »