Home

Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 41
Re: Hex Editor Ruined Lobby Play

Well I thought lobby games were a joke before and after the hex editor. I never played anyone unless they were a friend or referred to by a friend.

I pretty much only play league games before and after the hex editor. Why waste time playing punk *** kids in lobbies or grown ups that will win at all cost???

I think your online experience is bad due to your choice of opponents not because of the hex editor.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Rookie

theDude47's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
Well I thought lobby games were a joke before and after the hex editor. I never played anyone unless they were a friend or referred to by a friend.

I pretty much only play league games before and after the hex editor. Why waste time playing punk *** kids in lobbies or grown ups that will win at all cost???

I think your online experience is bad due to your choice of opponents not because of the hex editor.
+1

Both you and catcatch hit it on the head.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Not really, because the editor is the root of the problem. If something can be exploited and used as a means to get a advantage then you will have users doing that.

Most here will know I have been around since day 1 and this is not just a "agggg I am sooo mad" type of post. I assessed the positive and negatives this editor will have and believe it will hurt this amazing game much more than it helps it. Main reason being that the game does not have great OFFLINE legs, with no franchise mode. So the core game still relies on ONLINE.

While I have a good group of friends to play who play the game correctly and doesn't do any kind of cheating. You can clearly see the level of frustration the editor would bring to the lobbies for guys not knowing how to use the editor to do their own editing OR to guys who just don't know about it and looking to get a game in.

I to like to get in a random lobby game in from time to time. But will refrain even more now because of the power the editor gives users.

Lets look at Fight Night Champion for instance. Online OWC was crippled early on because of the XP packs. Users needed to buy XP packs to be able to compete against others who were doing same thing. This same mind set will be applied to APF just like every other online game.

Users will then resort to using the same cheap tactics of editing teams unrealistically to compete against other users doing the same thing. So then the users who are not willing to do this or don't have the technically know how to do it will get screwed.

I can create NFL "looking" teams in APF but the only difference is the names don't match. What more does the editor supply other than names & adjusting ratings?? You can't make the teams look exactly like the real NFL teams AND there is no Franchise mode to take advantage of these. So you are left with a shallow, wanna be looking NFL teams, and exploitable Online.

I understand fully not everyone will agree with me on this stand point. But I did want to bring it up as a valid topic of discussion.

First let me just say that i think we are on the same page as far as wanting a quality, sim-like, no fluff, representation of football. I may not be as die hard as some others, but that doesnt mean i dont fully grasp or appreciate sim football...

now, with that being said, i will have to respectfully disagree with your statement...the editor is just what it is...an editor...the users are the ones who purposely go in and change things that are not sim like...its sad that for every one true sim head, he is outnumbered by 10 cheesers or exploiters that will do things to gain an advantage...

I for one, have NEVER played an online game against anyone outside of my close XBL circle...I dont care about online W/L, rankings boards, online stats, etc...b/c its all a placebo pill if you ask me. 2k, EA, Natural Motion, etc...arent going to send a certificate to our houses congratulating us for being no. 1 on their meaningless stat boards. Its an internet pissing match that has quite frankly, gone on for far too long.

A tool like the hex editor has opened up a lot of good opportunities as well as bad ones...you just have to do what one poster already suggested and find those leagues where that stuff is not allowed...this is probably going to be the closest game (bugs and all) that will give the sim feel...

As far as FN goes...yea...good luck with that...everytime i log on and see "xxxx champion has logged on"...i laugh...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:

Well Hit, you should know I have plenty of good quality of people to play and have run my share of leagues. I also play 99% of my games against people I know only, but with that said none of my complaints are coming directly from MY desires. Because yes I could go another 5 years playing only people I know. But that still does not change the fact that the lobbies will be ruined by the Editor. Neither you or me might be effected by the cheese the editor will bring. But there still will be a countless number of others who will find their online experience severely hampered and the already small community could grow smaller due to users getting frustrated and shelving game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WEiRDguy
First let me just say that i think we are on the same page as far as wanting a quality, sim-like, no fluff, representation of football. I may not be as die hard as some others, but that doesnt mean i dont fully grasp or appreciate sim football...

now, with that being said, i will have to respectfully disagree with your statement...the editor is just what it is...an editor...the users are the ones who purposely go in and change things that are not sim like...its sad that for every one true sim head, he is outnumbered by 10 cheesers or exploiters that will do things to gain an advantage...

I for one, have NEVER played an online game against anyone outside of my close XBL circle...I dont care about online W/L, rankings boards, online stats, etc...b/c its all a placebo pill if you ask me. 2k, EA, Natural Motion, etc...arent going to send a certificate to our houses congratulating us for being no. 1 on their meaningless stat boards. Its an internet pissing match that has quite frankly, gone on for far too long.

A tool like the hex editor has opened up a lot of good opportunities as well as bad ones...you just have to do what one poster already suggested and find those leagues where that stuff is not allowed...this is probably going to be the closest game (bugs and all) that will give the sim feel...

As far as FN goes...yea...good luck with that...everytime i log on and see "xxxx champion has logged on"...i laugh...
I get what you are saying Weird and none of the ranking leader boards have ever meant anything to me. I am looking strictly at the ramifications of the editor and I truly don't see the need for it.

Lets just use for a example that you want to run a league. What is stopping some member from secretly editing his team to have a advantage over everyone else team?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Well Hit, you should know I have plenty of good quality of people to play and have run my share of leagues. I also play 99% of my games against people I know only, but with that said none of my complaints are coming directly from MY desires. Because yes I could go another 5 years playing only people I know. But that still does not change the fact that the lobbies will be ruined by the Editor. Neither you or me might be effected by the cheese the editor will bring. But there still will be a countless number of others who will find their online experience severely hampered and the already small community could grow smaller due to users getting frustrated and shelving game.

I get what you are saying Weird and none of the ranking leader boards have ever meant anything to me. I am looking strictly at the ramifications of the editor and I truly don't see the need for it.

Lets just use for a example that you want to run a league. What is stopping some member from secretly editing his team to have a advantage over everyone else team?
I get what you're saying...its like these new generation of gamers dont have any integrity about themselves...they actually enjoy pissing people off like you and I who want some sort of challenge without the need for cheese or exploit tactics...

i think my gaming days are drawing to an end...i cant keep playing with these "kids"...im only 27...been gaming since 88 and feel like the last of a dying breed...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

If Microsoft does indeed investigate its complaints filed, you could file a complaint for modding. That could intern have their xbox banned from live.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Phobia, I completely agree with what you're saying: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042139956
The hex really has limited the quality games you can play in the lobby mainly due to the fact you have no idea what's "under the hood" in terms of a teams roster. Generally, my rule of thumb is to scout the gamer's teams before accepting or issuing a challenge - along with comparing games played, feedback rating, etc. But there's the rub, I shouldn't have to put THAT MUCH dang time into researching an opponent just to play them. It's hard enough to get a random friendly match as it is, but now, the legitimate gamer like myself has to jump through hoops to merely get a game in.

My biggest issue - and what forever will be my biggest issues - with the hex is merely that you can hide any changes you've made to your team. That too me is too much of an advantage or temptation for some gamers to pass up. I've been playing a fair amount of lobby games and it's been boom or bust more so than any other time I've played APF. For every, Positive game there are so many Neutral and Negatives I get stuck playing. It makes it no fun when you're willing to abide by the rules only to have to completely compromise your game, style, and so forth simply to beat some clown who is doing anything he can to win. That makes the whole point of gaming moot, which is to have fun.

Last edited by elgreazy1; 03-29-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:

Word.

That said, hex editing brought me back to this game hoping that we could use it to fix some of APF 2K8's inherent flaws, but after playing in several hex leagues, I find no amount of editing can fix this game's core issues.

So I'm done playing football games until the NCAA football demo arrives.

It's still great being able to edit the names and physical appearances of all your players, though.

Last edited by jyoung; 03-29-2011 at 02:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »