Home

Now or Never?

This is a discussion on Now or Never? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Now or Never?

With the recent success of NBA 2K11, the current transition of power for the Madden Franchise, and the possibility of the NFL Lockout lingering on into the season - could this be the perfect storm for 2K Football to re-emerge back to the virtual gridiron?

If they are waiting for the NFL license, they may continue to wait till the end of time.

If it doesn't happen soon, will it ever?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Now or Never?

I'm going to say never, unfortunately. Trying to make an unlicensed game seems like an exercise in futility. Imo any unlicensed game has to be able to stand/succeed on it's own merits - and consumers have shown they're not going to accept a generic football game. As it is, the first thing people here begin asking about is how customizable the game is so they can make it look like the NFL (or college, or high school, etc.). Developers aren't going to invest a lot of money/effort into so risky a venture if it's success depends on how much they can get around getting sued so people can make the game look like [something else].

I think they may as well wait for the NFL and/or NCAA licenses to come available, if they do.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I'm going to say never, unfortunately. Trying to make an unlicensed game seems like an exercise in futility. Imo any unlicensed game has to be able to stand/succeed on it's own merits - and consumers have shown they're not going to accept a generic football game. As it is, the first thing people here begin asking about is how customizable the game is so they can make it look like the NFL (or college, or high school, etc.). Developers aren't going to invest a lot of money/effort into so risky a venture if it's success depends on how much they can get around getting sued so people can make the game look like [something else].

I think they may as well wait for the NFL and/or NCAA licenses to come available, if they do.
Good points. Seems that sound football fundamentals don't appeal to the masses, if the "real" players aren't utilized. Largely because the market is geared towards the younger crowd (Under 21, who seem to care more about official licenses), than those of us who are 30+, who just want a realistic football game that isn't frustrating and easily exploitable online.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

honestly, i think you can make a successful game without the nfl players on it. i think blitz the league 1 and 2 are a perfect example of it. they had a story line with captains and teams and history of the teams. honestly i thought nothing was cooler then when i was on the loading screen for blitz and the history of the league was rolling by. it made it seem like some how some way blitz was an actual league. they just needa come at it differently.

a game needs three things imo. game play, presentation, graphics, and special features. blitz's gameplay was awesome because of the dirty hits and what not the presentation added on to the storyline, the graphics where suspect if you ask me, and the create your own player and team and take them to the championship would add to the special features of the game. i think if midway wouldn't have died out blitz the league 3 would be coming out soon.

backbreaker had awesome game play if you ask me. damn near felt like a real football game. graphics were pretty crappy since every player looked the same except for skin color, and presentation was non existent, and the special features basically hit the dot for me. i know i always wanted to create my own logo and when they added that i lost my mind haha.

honestly thou, i have no idea what happened to all pro 2k8. the game was pretty sick if you ask me. game play was amazing for an animation based game, graphics were nice, and presentation had you feeling like you were watching a real game. i think what killed it was the year it came out in. 2007 was the year i feel like xbox games were finally breaking out of their boring shell and hitting the light, and people couldn't wait for madden. all pro seemed cool and all but i know that i couldn't wait for madden to come out, haha.

but back on topic they just need something DIFFERENT. backbreaker was definitely a DIFFERENT GAME, but it was also lacking alot of things. for one their only fanbase was the ones on their forums. i literally did not see ONE ad on tv when backbreaker was coming out. you wont get any game sells if people don't know about your game. then to add onto back breaker there was no presentation. all you heard was the PA announcer talk and that was it. no trash talk by the players, no nothing. just silence, and a non reacting crowd. the game had no real IT factor other than creating a logo and realistic tackles. i think i got the perfect metaphor for it. the game was like the cleveland cavaliers with lebron james. they had NO SUPPORTING CAST. so no matter how good lebron jame splayed, in the end they wouldn't come out with a ring because he couldn't do it all by himself. same with backbreaker. you cant just have one thing and expect swarms. but chea that's my input.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 49

I think a company could easily sell tons and tons of copies...IF...the game is fully customizable. I mean honestly, there are so many thyings not even in NFL licensed games yet. The problem is, 2k8 tried to play it safe. They didn't go all out. They might as well not even made a game. It's really sad cause the gameplay was pretty much where it needed to be, yet there were no features, no customization....nothing!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
I think a company could easily sell tons and tons of copies...IF...the game is fully customizable. I mean honestly, there are so many thyings not even in NFL licensed games yet. The problem is, 2k8 tried to play it safe. They didn't go all out. They might as well not even made a game. It's really sad cause the gameplay was pretty much where it needed to be, yet there were no features, no customization....nothing!
I believe you're right. APF 2k8 was the one shot and they whiffed. They tried to get the appeal with the legends, and while that appealed to people like us on this forum, it didn't to the masses.

But they shortchanged themselves by not making it fully customizable, for reasons unknown. I've heard it was because they didn't want to piss off the NFL in case they ever did have a chance at getting the license.

That was the biggest mistake they ever made. I love APF 2k8, but it leaves a lot to be desired outside of the gameplay. Might as well have saved the money they spent on all that if they were just going to make an NFL 2k5.5. People seem to be able to customize NFL 2k5 the same or better then they can with APF, which is a shame because APF is the game that NEEDED customization!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Agreed. Had APF given the user better editor tools (teams, coaches, rosters, league-types, franchise, etc) then we'd probably have had at least a second edition of APF. Eh well.... **pours Gatorade in rememberence**

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »