Home

Bump and Run

This is a discussion on Bump and Run within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 55
Bump and Run

Alright so I've been trying to work with a silver CAP Mel Blount who has Bump Master as one of his abilities. In real life he was responsible for the 5 yard contact rule change because of his excessively physical play.

I'm having a hard time knowing when to bump and when not to bump. I can't seem to get a handle on when it works.

Is it random?

Does it only trigger when guys are ON the line of scrimmage. If a WR is off the L.O.S. will he automatically avoid any bumping?

How important is shading? I seem to get torched on fade routes easily even when my bump master is head up.

Just trying to learn how to apply more variety on defense. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Bump and Run

I think it only works if you're right up on the guy, if we're talking about man coverage.

I've also found that the bump animation displays inconsistently, meaning that if you have a bump master corner you won't always get a good bump while in man press coverage. Conversely, I've seen generic corners bump legend bump busters and knock them way off the route before.

To me, when it's working right, you just murder the passing game. When it's not working, great corners become average. The Garly Clark vs. Mel Blount example is a great case in point. If Blount gets the bump, it's lights out; if he doesn't it's easy to throw on Blount because of Clark's quick feet/separation and Marino's accuracy.

I had that same experience when I built the Season Three squad. I had Brown and Hayes, and they routinely missed bumps and got burned. I thought that my matchup with Rice would be a done deal, with Brown pressing all game. I distinctly remember that Brown didn't get one successful bump that game. On the flip side, I've seen games where Brown makes Rice a non-issue.

Given the risk/reward nature of the ability, I think you have to have a superior pass rush while using it. I, personally, have moved away from selecting bump master corners, because they demand a silver or gold pick and don't offer the same kind of consistent production I get from other positions.

Regarding the in/out stuff, I'll shade out vs. speedy receivers and be content to give up the slant. 7 yards is better than 70, imho, and you can take away one slant with the OLB manually.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
MVP

Good read, AW. Yeah I really just got frustrated with the consistent inconsistency that came from that style of play. I've never been one to pick DB's very much, and this really reminds me why. It takes 1 missed bump for it to go for 6 points and people seemed to hit that for a TD off the fade whenever they wanted.

I think you are right about needing the WR to be ON the line. If he is off, your chances diminish. I myself have seen generics put silver and gold WR's to work and totally mess them up. I've seen great things and terrible things out of bump. I remember bumping Jerry Rice with Night Train Lane. He puts Rice on the grount, then proceeds to fly backwards (yes he was in the air the whole time ) and snag a softly thrown ball for an INT that was nowhere near him at the beginning.

I've also seen my CAP Mel Blount get torched by a post route with press coverage and inside shading.

This game comes down to risk/reward situations and I'm just not seeing much reward with bump coverage called. The idea was that I'd force the QB to hold the ball longer because his guys would be mugged at the beginning of the play. So far I've seen nothing of the sort.

I don't want to give up everything just yet because that's really how they played... but it sure is getting old.

Might have to shade outside more and force inside throws.... could be the key to getting a bunch of manual INT's. Imagine this: Cover 1 with the FS rolled to the non-Blount side of the field. DB's shaded outside. I manually control a player who will take away the inside route that Blount's assignment will probably run. That could be a strong coverage variation. no fades or outs are possible. Just me and the other user

On another note: Is there ANY way to get a bump out of a zone coverage? Really cover 2 hard should be bumping WR's when we want them to. It drives me nuts to see my bump master in a bump position and have a guy run a route right in front of his face and he just watches it, hands off.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 34

'Train is the most consistant bumper IMO.

Yeah, they have to be pressed up in man coverage...sometimes the dont get a good press, which is fine..the recievers are allowed to make plays from time to time..but some of the CBs flat out stink at it..yet I have seen a generic straight up run James Lofton, right into the ground.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Good read, AW. Yeah I really just got frustrated with the consistent inconsistency that came from that style of play. ...
OXYMORON!!!

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
OXYMORON!!!
That was my plan
Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 41

If you make Mel Blount a Silver I think you would get better results with Bump Master and Quick Feet. He is tall for a CB and he needs QF to be as good as he can be. Shading has everything to do with a consistent Bump on the WR. If a WR is off the LOS they have a better chance of never getting Bumped at all.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
OXYMORON!!!
What is 2k Sports for 100?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »