Home

Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Building a team.

I am not that great on the sticks, so despite my love of defense, I can't justify building a defensive powerhouse. On defense i like to just control a DT and rush the passer or try to stuff the run. When I build a defensive power house, I just can't seem to get any takeaways or defensive scoring. Sure, I can get sacks and stuff the run... but I can do that with a team of unrated players. Instead of beign shut down, my team of defensive all stars still find a way to give up 14+ points over the course of a game on some busted plays.

Then, because I built a defensive power house, I don't have any offensive weapons... or maybe just a QB or HB. Because of a lack of weapons, I can't get much in the way of blocking. I throw inaccurate passes... and when they are on target, my wide open unrated receivers will drop them. This leads to a lot of punts and the occasional FG try. So, over the course of a game I am looking at a final score of 17-10 in a loss.

On the other hand, I can build an offensive juggernaut and put up 45+ points a game and not care in the least if my defense gives up 28+ points. I'm controlling the clock and scoring on most every possession. Forcing just one punt can win the game.

This makes me sad, as I love defense.

Seriously, unless you are god at user controlling a defender, what is the point of selecting an non-defensive linemen for your team? I say non-defensive lineman because the AI is pretty good at generating a pass rush from the DE position by itself. I think the point in picking some of my favorite players like Ronnie Lott are so I can user control him. Under AI control, he is a waste of space on my roster thus far. What do you think? What am I doing wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Building a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

Seriously, unless you are god at user controlling a defender, what is the point of selecting an non-defensive linemen for your team? I say non-defensive lineman because the AI is pretty good at generating a pass rush from the DE position by itself. I think the point in picking some of my favorite players like Ronnie Lott are so I can user control him. Under AI control, he is a waste of space on my roster thus far. What do you think? What am I doing wrong?
I don't really think you're doing anything wrong but I suggest putting together a defensive team that has at least 3 Gold/Silver players on offense to prevent those previous issues.

In my opinion, you need at least that many offensive players to stay consistent on offense against the CPU or anyone online. You can use the rest of the 9 picks on defense and you'll be surprised how well a group of silvers/bronze play together. I'm a defensive player but still put up about 21-28 points per game.

In terms of user control, I would go into practice mode and just control Lott to learn how to play with him. Stick skills don't get good overnight but you just keep plugging away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »